What got you into famicom?

Started by MS-DOS4, January 23, 2010, 07:52:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

zmaster18

Well, first I got into NES and retro gaming in general with Animal Crossing for the Gamecube as well as the Nintendo E-Reader for GBA. That's where I played NES launch titles for the first time.

Then I got NES Classics Series Super Mario Bros. and Zelda for GBA when I was 10 and played the crap out of these games.

Then when I was 12, I convinced my parents to let me buy an old used NES, which they thought made absolutely no sense. My bro told me to just emulate everything and be a turd. I got my first NES with Mario/Duckhunt, Dragon Warrior, and Final Fantasy for like $150. I was a sucker back then when I was not allowed to buy stuff online, so I had to go to a local game shop in Canada  :( 

Then I looked online and saw the Famicom, being all red and white, and with the awesome BASIC keyboard set to make games, I thought this was just the definitive version of the NES. I always wanted one, but couldn't get one online till I was a bit older. Then I became a member here!! :)

RRThielNC

I got into Famicom because I thought collecting import games would be pretty cool, and would make a nice conversation piece.
ユーアークール!

synt4x

Originally it was simply because I became interested in many of the Famicom-exclusive games. Especially many of Konami's games. I also started watching Chrontendo and Gamecenter CX so I discovered more and more of them that way. These days it's also because prices on a lot of NES games are ridiculous while the FC versions are still reasonable in many cases. The lower prices allows me to get more CIB games too which is always nice.

muckyfingers

The console and cartridges look so much cooler than their US counterparts. I grew up playing on the Sega Master System and the NES (well my cousins NES). Much later I saw pictures of the original Famicom in a magazine and vowed to get one. Flash forward many years later and here I am.

WhiskeyShivers

I collect Legend of Zelda games and merch and last year there was a complete copy of Legend of Zelda for the Famicom Disk System along with a twin system for sale at a conventions I was at. The money I was going to spend on a bunch of merch turned into just getting that console and games. Later found out that it was a good investment to get the twin system since it had an av out and the original famicom didn't. Now my collection spans into imported zelda games.  :link:

S. P. Sour

Basically when my weeaboo phase collided with my love of retrogaming(and adding onto that, it has a very good selection of Namco games).
(The phase has ended, but my FC stuff continues because the Famicom is awesome)
[end post] [begin signature]
Proud owner of NES, Famicom, FDS, Super Famicom, Virtual Boy
Also I am Homestuck trash

prince tomato

i got tired of collecting Philips Cd-i stuf for over 10 years, having collected nearly every bit of hardware and games ever released,
when i remembered my first famiclone, a Polystation-like thing for which i never got carts, but only played the built-in games.
it got lost years earlier and i set out to find a replacement, the first thing that got me was the variety of available clone systems,
so i started collecting those immediately.
i only got my first Original Famicom a couple of years ago, and still collect clones and unlicensed games mostly.
and i have only played Cd-i games once or twice since.
along with a handfull of Megadrive, Master system and SNES games.

HVC-Man

Seems it was sheer curiosity. That and I started to dislike how big the NES Front Loader is. I thought of getting a NES 2, but it's RF only and rather expensive. The AV Famicom was a bit cheaper and supported composite by standard, so I went with that. For a while I was sticking with NES carts with an adapter and whatever else I could find on Famicom, but lately I've been buying FC versions of what I already owned on NES, mostly because the carts are smaller and don't need an adapter.

Overall the Famicom has been one heck of a fun adventure. It's got that NES familiarity, but is also mysterious and unknown. There are so many exclusives on Famicom and it has a smaller cart slot, it's almost like a different console from the NES.

petsematary

Hmmm... Hard to say what exactly. I think it had to do with the interesting look of the cartridges relative to their NES counterparts and the idea of having the original releases of certain games instead of localized ones.

mario3648

What got me into the Famicom was this site, and some emulation. To this day, I still emulate Famicom games (mainly because my actual Famicom died on me), but I love the simple charm of the system, how it looks, the type of games compared to our NES (albeit I grew up with NES), just everything about it screams "retro japan". Plus, I'm considering about learning Japanese to better understand the original games, so I don't have to hunt down fan translations (although that's not a bad thing).

I'm probably the only person who swapped the guts out of the NES and Famicom controllers out of preference's sake.

snugcrow

I started because the carts were pretty  :-[ , but I stuck around because of how solid the library is!

SeanOrange

Quote from: JohnnyBlaze on December 30, 2014, 08:09:01 pm
I loved the NES growing up and as an adult, I learned about the Famicom and how advanced the Fami versions were compared to the NES versions. What finally sold me is the episodes of Famicom Dojo.

Aw, shucks!  :D
~Sean(Orange)

Gio_16bits

For a while, i've been quite interested in Famicom aesthetics and library of games that never made it to the US. So as of a few days ago with my tax return money, i've decided to buy one on ebay. Now i'm just waiting for it's arrival to my front door step. In addition to that, i've also decided to buy an everdrive. Knowing how stupid expensive the hobby can get, space it can take up, and rare a lot of the good games can be. It just seemed like the best decision for me. Here's a link to the Famicom I just got: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271667633329?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT   
Proud owner of the following systems (in no particular order): Vic20,C64,600XL,7800,FC,Nes,Snes,Saturn,N64,GC,PS2,Wii,Ouya,PS3,Wii U, Dreamcast,GB,GBC,GBA,NGPC,PSP,PSV,N3DSXL,

iStreet

Because it is the most beautiful gaming machine on the market! :D
I always downshift near a hybrid, so they can hear me hurt the environment...

sethreign

I just started collecting for the Famicom/ and Super Famicom last year ,due to my love for anything Japanese .
Creativity is the spice of life