What got you into famicom?

Started by MS-DOS4, January 23, 2010, 07:52:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Vinnk

Was into NES big time in the US and when I moved to Japan I think I bought a Famicom and a small CRT my first week here (before I even bought chairs, a bed or lights for all the rooms in the house).  Been hooked ever since.  Unlike a lot of later systems, you can pick up and play nearly any Famicom game without knowing a lick of Japanese.  That REALLY helped when I first got here and barely spoke the language, much less knew kanji.

Now I'm continuing to be into the Famicom because my kids are getting into it.

The next generation of Famicom dojo?
My internet TV show [Famicom Dojo] www.famicomdojo.tv   My Japanese Retro Game Store https://japanretrodirect.ocnk.com

bha2248

Famiclones! Back in 2010 i got a Generation Nex clone. And prior to that i had never knew Famicoms had different cartridges than american games. So i researched the mysterious extra port on the Generation Nex. From that point on i've wanted a famicom and a disk system.  :redcart:

WF72

because it's THE GREATEST GAME MACHINE IN THE PLANET!
Just kidding. for me it was good ol Jew Wario and Somecallmejohnny.
and my obsession with bootlegs solidified i,
hAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

GreenKoopa

Had a NES from a young age and played a heap of games. Although I bought most consoles since then, the NES was always my favourite.

When a trip to Tokyo was planned, I decided it was a good time to get back into retro gaming. While i was over there, I made the decision to start collecting for the famicom due to my love of the NES. Bought a heap of cartridges onto get started without knowing what most of the games were. However, since coming back and seeing the prices on ebay, I wish I purchased more (a lot more!)  ;D

Retrospectives

I would say childhood. I am totally honest when I say that I do not know anyone between perhaps 25 to 38 who didn't have a Famicom. Sure, PCE and other formats were also quite common but FC was like...more common than VHS:es haha.  ;D

Why? Well. I suppose it was due to 3 big reasons. 1: Price: The price for the FC were compared to most other formats of the time (MSX etc) a very affordable way for children to enjoy their games and the target group were most people with children. No matter if working, middle or upper class. 2: Marketing. Nintendo were like everywhere. Sure, cereal boxes, stickers, trading cards, even on cupmen (ramen)...But last but probably the most important: Schoolyards. Most of the marketing were not due to Nintendo themselves putting money into marketing but due to the simple fact that the limitations of what we actually could do during childhood regarding this type of media was far mor limited than it is today. 3: Game quality. Nintendo had a quality of seal that few other systems could even compete with. The games were of high quality and to get a cart really felt like you had a quality product in your hand. Of course that wouldn't really be that important to a child but maybe to parents?

I got my first Famicom for birthday and I grew up with the system (more or less). It has always been a part of me. Even if I were to sell my whole collection it will still be a big part of who I am and who I became. In many ways I could argue that FC was more than just a game console. It was a culture, and I am sure that this is a fact not only applied to Japan but to the rest of the world as well (at least were you had NES and such things).

Cheers  :redcart:

Mo-hd

Great Words! I would say childhood too if famiclone count. :bub: I don't recall that I wrote here but i grew up with famiclones i used to have great games like Super Mario Bros.,Tiny Toon, Ninja gaiden 3, TMNT 1&3, Bomberman, Lode Runner ( and More!) with Captain Tsubasa Volume II: Super Striker which was a big deal at that time because it has Arabic language. :star:

Funny thing  ;D that at the time some one tell me that im playing with the computer i used to think in a way or another he is smart and more like human being like he is amused  ;D. More ridiculous i must heard some one say your playing with some guy in japan and i'm thinking the developer who made this game is now playing with me and challenge me!  ;D ;D ;D

All my games has gone but the idea of getting and have all the games that I love are in my mind so i got my first Famicom in 2011 or 2012 and i start my journey....

Retrospectives

Quote from: Mo-hd on December 18, 2015, 12:13:35 am
Great Words! I would say childhood too if famiclone count. :bub: I don't recall that I wrote here but i grew up with famiclones i used to have great games like Super Mario Bros.,Tiny Toon, Ninja gaiden 3, TMNT 1&3, Bomberman, Lode Runner ( and More!) with Captain Tsubasa Volume II: Super Striker which was a big deal at that time because it has Arabic language. :star:

Funny thing  ;D that at the time some one tell me that im playing with the computer i used to think in a way or another he is smart and more like human being like he is amused  ;D. More ridiculous i must heard some one say your playing with some guy in japan and i'm thinking the developer who made this game is now playing with me and challenge me!  ;D ;D ;D

All my games has gone but the idea of getting and have all the games that I love are in my mind so i got my first Famicom in 2011 or 2012 and i start my journey....

Ironically people in the "west" found out about the Famicom/Famiclone during the 2000:s. With the same Irony it is a fact that the markets that did not get the NES officially released are the countries where the Famiclones were sprouting and growing. Russia, Saudi Arabia, Argentina, Thailand is just a few examples of people who really got into Famicom gaming without even knowing it  ;D I remember a friend from Saudi who told me about Majid? Captain Majid? I am not sure, but I remember the name Majid (Tsubasa we call him in Japan). Hahaha. Good times  ;D

Mo-hd

Yes. :D Captain Majed at the time i think with the anime and the game they came out with Arabic Names for the characters
compatible with the culture of the Middle East. The name Majed taken from former Saudi Arabian footballer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majed_Abdullah.

BTW Kojiro Hyuga my favorite character.  ;D

Indeed it was a good times. :star:

famicom guy

December 19, 2015, 09:02:57 am #128 Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 06:55:33 am by famicom guy
I remember my first famicom games, Good times playing mario is missing, pka chu (smb hack, i never got world 2-3, super bros 11 (adventure island 3 hack,  first mario game i ever played, i was thinking it was mario 9 :P), circus charlie, formation z, contra, duck hunt, clay shooting, ice climber, yie air kung fu, lode runner,mario 16 (joe & mac),chack n pop and poyann.
and i found one of the carts

YoshiFan501

Rygar

Knowing that Japan's version of Castlevania III was much easier then the version Americans got.. :bomb:
I couldn't tell the difference personally but eh. :bomb: :bomb:
psst! over here

joestar3

Sweet Home!  Read about it in GameFan and really wanted to find out more about it.

Jedi Master Baiter

RoryDropkick

I had Japanese neighbors back in the 80's who had kids my age. They'd always get games mailed to them so I was always playing stuff like Mario 3 and things like that well before they came out here. SFC I got to play super early as well  :)

g_block

cheaper than NES (for the most part) and I like the small form factor of the AV Famicom and cartridges/boxes, plus all the colors of the rainbow (just about) used on Famicom releases.

Overall it's a must better coolness factor for me vs our drab american NES.

Same with Super Famicom games and controllers (cheaper versions vs american - for the games that dont require english like platformers, etc and the colored buttons of super famicom controllers) Still have an american SNES though.