Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2017, 06:28:58 PM
Home Famicom World Search Calendar Login Register

+  Famicom World
|-+  Family Computer
| |-+  Famicom / Disk System (Moderators: manuel, MaxXimus, The Uninvited Gremlin, L___E___T)
| | |-+  What got you into famicom?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Print
Author Topic: What got you into famicom?  (Read 85979 times)
famifan
Twin Famicom
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #150 on: August 29, 2016, 11:10:52 AM »

Famicom Dojo!  Cool The First Season, to be more specific.
I second that! Awesome show. I even purchased the dvd to support guys.

Also, the rest of points which got me into famicom:
  • my poor soldering skills
  • normal 60Hz speed
  • design
  • affordable costs
  • variety of accessories: basic + keyboard, disk system, data recorder, etc.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 10:22:19 AM by famifan » Logged
ombre noire
Famiclone
France France

« Reply #151 on: September 16, 2016, 02:54:33 PM »

1. The design and the size of the Famicom (i'm a fan great PC-Engine fan so it helped Wink )
2. The software catalog, all the great titles from the 80's are on it !!
3. The cartridges, these are colorfull and well designed !!

just an old retrogamer !!  (^_^)
Famicom Billy
Famiclone
Spain Spain

« Reply #152 on: January 07, 2017, 07:04:43 PM »

The games are really cheap (With some exceptions)

The regional differences for each game

The special giveway games like Punch Out!! or the quite expensive Famicom US Golf Prize Card , NWC 1990?? That's trash compared to this  Undecided or not...?

The cartridges are much more smaller than the NES ones

No more blinking light

Beautiful artwork
TPR
Famiclone

« Reply #153 on: February 01, 2017, 11:59:25 PM »

I bought an NES when it first came out in 1985. I was 15 years old.  Friend of mine got a hold of a Japanese video game magazine and we saw all these games we wanted to play that were not available in the States.  We cold called shops in Japan to find someone who spoke English and would ship them to us.  Long story short, we ended up getting lots of games, including a Disk System imported between 1985 - 1989.  in 1989 I got a job in the video games business and worked for small US subsidiaries of Japanese game companies and then later to some US based companies.  I worked on NES games like Wizardry, Faria, Gun-Nac, Might & Magic, Vice: Project Doom, The Jungle Book.  My full games list can be found here: http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,1771/

I spent 21 years total in the video games business.  Loved the first ten years, hated the last ten years.  By the time I got out of it I wanted nothing to do with video games anymore.

That being said I always had a thing for retro gaming. I collected 80s arcade machines at one point, and always had a ColecoVision and a Vectrex sitting on my desk wherever I worked.  I got back into retrogaming a couple of years ago and wanted to go back to where I started in the games biz... Nintendo.  I have and always will be a Nintendo fanboy.  It's the only current gen system that I own.  I love to travel to Japan and get crazy amount of Streetpasses.  I even have already pre-ordered the Nintendo Switch.

Been loving getting back into Famicom games again.  I don't actually even have an American NES, just a AV Modded Famicom with a Disk System.

That's my story!  Looking forward to hanging out on these forums!
P
FamicomBox
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #154 on: February 02, 2017, 08:42:14 AM »

Wow that's quite a list! I have played many of those games you worked on.

TPR
Famiclone

« Reply #155 on: February 02, 2017, 10:52:51 AM »

Thanks.  There's a good amount of crap on that list too, so hopefully you avoided some of those!   Grin
mammal93
Famicom
United States United States

« Reply #156 on: March 21, 2017, 12:33:42 AM »

I grew up with the NES, of course who didn't, but got into Famicom about a year ago. I had bought a PC Engine with a PCE CD and I love it, but didn't collect for it as I got an everdrive. Then I started seeing games like Takeshi no Chōsenjō and other weird, and cool, looking games. There was also just something atractive about the look of the games and the system. So I bought a cheap Famicom, a handful of games, and had fun. I just ordered a Disk System and a few games, but haven't gotten them in to sink in my teeth yet. But yeah basically I just love Japanese stuff and Nintendo, so that's how I got into Famicom.  Cheesy
skyway1985
Famiclone

« Reply #157 on: March 21, 2017, 12:59:45 PM »

What got me into Famicom was Nesticle and playing imports and it all snowballed from there. been tuning drives and writing disks since 2000. lets say my drives read anything and write anything. and are always consistent Smiley if my disk doesn't work in your drive, it isn't tuned right. Tongue but the little white FC got me into twins, AV famicom and tons of disk drives. i just got 12 more standalones in. WHATS WRONG WITH ME!?!
GoodNoodle
Famiclone
Germany Germany

« Reply #158 on: April 29, 2017, 06:02:56 PM »

Uh... My story might me a little different. I'm 14 right now and in 2013 I found an old Gameboy with batman on eBay. It was cheap and I liked batman. It came pretty broken and didn't work, but it was very cheap and it even said: "may not work". But I still wanted to play that game, so I searched for another affordable Gameboy and found one on Konsolenkost.de I quickly realized, that those old games, were a lot of fun and that the challenge was harder than in most newer games. Then I found this retro gaming store and I've seen an NES from outside, but when I saw, that Gamecube with Gameboy player, I had to buy it. I could finally play sml2 on a big screen. Then I got a lot into gaming history and informed myself a lot. One day I walked past that retro gaming store and went in, to ask how much they want for the NES. And they said, 30 euros. I bought it, and took it home,  when I tried to hook it up I got the flashing light of death, so I returned it and bought a clear blue N64 instead, but just a day later I found an advert, for a cheap NES on eBay, so I bought it, but it was broken as well, but instead of returning it, I tried to repair it and it worked. And from that point on I started collecting. Pong consoles, telegames, computers and consoles. And the last console, I bought was the Family Computer in 2014. I heard about the"Japanese NES" for a while and that it was cheaper. I found a cheap but great AV mod on eBay and obviously got it. I loved playing SMB3 on it and it quickly became my favorite Mario game.  Then I got depressed and suffered from anxiety and tucked all of my consoles away. One year later I got another hobby. It was practical Chemistry. I stopped doing it because I was concerned for my health. And because I can't be without a hobby, I got into terraristics and aquatics ergo insect-and fishkeeping. It is a very great, but exhausting hobby. But a few months ago, I found my Gameboy and started playing so step by step I got every console upstairs again and played again in my free time. I gave my Famicom more attention and want to get more games for it. I now restore my old consoles in my free time.

regards,
Kevin
Jedi QuestMaster
Jedi Knight
FW Legacy
FamicomBox

« Reply #159 on: April 30, 2017, 01:06:44 AM »

terraristics
Have you played Abadox yet?

P
FamicomBox
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #160 on: May 01, 2017, 05:30:54 AM »

It's a great story. I'm happy to hear people are interested in gaming history. And yeah newer games are often easy, that's my main problem with newer games too.

GoodNoodle
Famiclone
Germany Germany

« Reply #161 on: May 01, 2017, 09:15:35 AM »

terraristics
Have you played Abadox yet?
Nope ,dude but I've seen some screenshots. Is it like Metroid? Buuuuut whatdoes abadox have to do with terraristics??

Post Merge: May 01, 2017, 09:22:43 AM
It's a great story. I'm happy to hear people are interested in gaming history. And yeah newer games are often easy, that's my main problem with newer games too.
Thanks for your appreciation.
I think, what really got me into gaming history was when I heard of the Satellaview.
The challenge in games can be a curse as well. When some friends come over, no one wants to play SNES or NES but rather WIIU or PS3, because they find it too hard. Aaaaaaaaaaand I'm also terrible at many games, but they are still fun to me although I nearly broke my Famicom controller when I played Rockman4 Smiley
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 09:22:43 AM by GoodNoodle » Logged

regards,
Kevin
P
FamicomBox
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #162 on: May 01, 2017, 06:57:12 PM »

They where hard back in the day too, only you had nothing else to play so you happily kept playing the same game over and over even though you couldn't get past the first stage at first. Grin Eventually you got good at it. Of course these games relies on being hard, you would get tired of them if you beat them too fast.

Jedi QuestMaster
Jedi Knight
FW Legacy
FamicomBox

« Reply #163 on: May 02, 2017, 12:50:14 AM »

Buuuuut whatdoes abadox have to do with terraristics??
Doesn't terraristics deal with feeding reptiles, invertebrates, and giant, human-eating frog aliens? Cheesy Come to think of it, I don't think that Parisitis was related to a frog at all. Huh

Merknera
Famiclone

« Reply #164 on: May 13, 2017, 02:02:22 AM »

Sadly, the biggest one is price. I can get famicom mario 1-3 for the price of nes 3.

But there are also many other good reasons to own one. I like the design of both the original famicom and twins. The carts are pretty cute and spiffy. The disk system disks are cool with the Nintendo logo on them.  I can play all kinds of games that never came to the US. and the cartridge slots are less temperamental.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: