so who actually owns a Doki Doki Panic Cartridge?

Started by Parodius Duh, May 09, 2012, 10:14:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Parodius Duh

Just wondering, who else out there is lucky enough to have a Doki Doki Panic cart in their collection? It is one of the most sought after exclusive FDS pirate conversions. Please post a pic of your cart dont just say "I have one" Also state whether yours is the complete version or the one that locks up around the 4th or 5th level (I think all versions in the shell style with rounded top corners is incomplete) and whether it has the top label or not..

Im trying to get a general idea of how many are in collectors hands outside of Taiwan (where Im sure theres a lot more)

Ill start-

Complete version, has top label:

Phosphora

CaH4e3

I'd like to ask more than cart pictures to this request, but if possible PCB pictures too ;)

MasterDisk

What do you mean by complete ? All versions are complete.

L___E___T

I don't have one, but gotta get one now!  Considering this is a pirate, couldn't one just use an SMB2 and reflash it to make a repro?
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

son_ov_hades

I used to have one but its so inferior to the FDS version that I never played it, so I sold it off.

Parodius Duh

May 10, 2012, 09:22:54 am #6 Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 10:07:05 am by Parodius Duh
Quote from: L___E___T on May 10, 2012, 03:12:39 am
I don't have one, but gotta get one now!  Considering this is a pirate, couldn't one just use an SMB2 and reflash it to make a repro?

No way, its impossible. Doki Doki and most pirates run on whack ass mappers. FDS files is completely different than the highly altered SMB2.

Post Merge: May 10, 2012, 09:24:16 am

Quote from: MasterDisk on May 10, 2012, 12:43:49 am
What do you mean by complete ? All versions are complete.

No, all versions are NOT complete. *most* of The version that has rounded edges on the top corners locks up after level 4 or 5. Multiple people know this, so....How many Doki Doki carts have you owned to be able to determine that every one is complete? this will be my 5th and 2 out of those 5 have been the incomplete version. I pretty much consider myself the authority on this game. Other collectors and a few members here will back me up that all copies are NOT the complete version of the game. Really the best quality versions is the yellow famicom casing style (like I posted) and then a lavender version shell.

Post Merge: May 10, 2012, 09:26:08 am

Quote from: son_ov_hades on May 10, 2012, 04:11:55 am
I used to have one but its so inferior to the FDS version that I never played it, so I sold it off.

Not necessarily inferior, They play the same. Yours probably lacked the 2nd sound channel, which some carts the pirates attempt to fix by adding simple sounds for the missing stuff. Kind of like what they did with Almana no Kiseki.

son_ov_hades

Yeah it lacked the second sound channel, and almost as important the ability to save.

stealthlurker

I've got one right now. But I've had 2 pass through my hands. I bought the first one I had in the 80s and was the first owner of it. I bought while on vacation in Asia. However, some how it got lost over the years. I picked up a second one (the one I have now) in the early 2000s sometime.

Parodius Duh

and thats a complete version in the square style shell? These are hit or miss with being the full game.  Im almost positive none of the rounded top edge shells are complete and so far every version in the Famicom style shells w/ the controller advertisement as back label have been full game.

stealthlurker

Quote from: Parodius Duh on May 25, 2012, 09:20:52 pm
and thats a complete version in the square style shell? These are hit or miss with being the full game.  Im almost positive none of the rounded top edge shells are complete and so far every version in the Famicom style shells w/ the controller advertisement as back label have been full game.

Its complete. I've never seen the rounded case style versions. Only ones like mine or the generic famicom style case.

To think, back in the 80s so many shops in asia had stacks of these for the equivalent of 30 bucks.

Parodius Duh

Quote from: stealthlurker on May 26, 2012, 04:53:03 pm
Quote from: Parodius Duh on May 25, 2012, 09:20:52 pm

Its complete. I've never seen the rounded case style versions. Only ones like mine or the generic famicom style case.

To think, back in the 80s so many shops in asia had stacks of these for the equivalent of 30 bucks.

Very true, and in some cases its still like that. All those Pipe V carts (Gimmick) the Polish guys are selling for $40, $50 each, they have stacks of them brand new in Polish stores for the equivalent of ten bucks...

My buddy went to a used gameshop in Thailand and bought 3 used copies of Doki Doki Panic (2 of which eventually became mine), a copy of Meikyuu Jiin Dababa (which the bastard wont sell to me!), and a copy of Almana No Kiseki for the equivalent of $45 us dollars. for ALL OF THEM.

stealthlurker

Quote from: Parodius Duh on May 27, 2012, 04:16:14 pm

Very true, and in some cases its still like that. All those Pipe V carts (Gimmick) the Polish guys are selling for $40, $50 each, they have stacks of them brand new in Polish stores for the equivalent of ten bucks...

My buddy went to a used gameshop in Thailand and bought 3 used copies of Doki Doki Panic (2 of which eventually became mine), a copy of Meikyuu Jiin Dababa (which the bastard wont sell to me!), and a copy of Almana No Kiseki for the equivalent of $45 us dollars. for ALL OF THEM.

That's pretty cool that you can still find famicom carts in shops in Thailand. Other places in asia don't really have them anymore or you really, really have to search for them. I'll have to check it out and see what my "ninjas" can dig up for me. haha.

JC

I've owned four or five. They all seemed to play fine. I'm not too picky about sound.

But I didn't know there were complete and incomplete versions, so that's good to know. I'll have to check the one I've got... ???