Opening Famicom Carts: how-to video

Started by arfink, September 01, 2010, 05:59:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

arfink

I have made a small video which demonstrates my technique for opening Famicom cartridges without breaking the tabs. Please note that this technique pretty much just works with "normal" Famicom cartridges and not so well with odd ones like some Konami carts, Namcot carts, Taito carts, and of course pirate carts with screws in them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgCiAOmgeFc

This method is pretty safe in my opinion, as I have done this to quite a few cartridges now, with no adverse effects. Keep in mind that cartridges with extreme wear, sun-fading, or brittleness are going to be more prone to cracking or breaking regardless of what method you use. For cartridges which do not show particular signs of wear this method is actually quite safe and doesn't even leave any visible marks on the cartridge if you are careful and take your time about it.

ericj

Very cool! Nice demonstration of the technique.  :)

manuel

Well explained and everything is nicely visible. Very good video.
If I ever have to open a cart I'll use that method.

MS-DOS4

Nice video. I've broken way too many tabs in my day.
>>>Current Collection<<< Updated 8/20/2014

-Click here for Photobucket Collection-

satoshi_matrix

I hate the ask the obvious question, but.....why would you want to open Famicom games? The only possible reason I can think of is to replace a dead battery.

MS-DOS4

Repair cold solder joints, do a proper cleaning, replace the battery as you said, switch out the chips for some EEPROMS, check the chips' numbers, hotglue the board down so it doesn't wobble, etc.
>>>Current Collection<<< Updated 8/20/2014

-Click here for Photobucket Collection-

arfink

Quote from: MS-DOS4 on September 01, 2010, 09:35:57 pm
Repair cold solder joints, do a proper cleaning, replace the battery as you said, switch out the chips for some EEPROMS, check the chips' numbers, hotglue the board down so it doesn't wobble, etc.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. :D You won't have to do it very often probably, thank goodness. I open carts a good deal for repairs and modifications.

ProgWare

b1aCkDeA7h

Rather than NES repros, I would like to see Famicom repros.

I'd imagine this is useful to any repro maker. Speaking of which, are there any?

crade

Quote from: MS-DOS4 on September 01, 2010, 09:35:57 pm

That and find out how what mappers a game uses so you can dump the rom off it.

Hey, what model of clips do you use?  Mine suck, and it looks like yours are far better.
GRRR!

tonev

link of the video

Why this guy thinks you should you so many tools just to open a famicom cartridge... if you are careful you only need a flat screw driver i thin...

What is your opinion on this?
I am back everyone :)

manuel

Umm... "this guy" is who started this thread. You just posted the video in the OP again.  ::)

UglyJoe

He made a new topic, actually.  I merged the threads.

tonev

Sorry for the new topic... i was not aware that a topic about this video already exist sorry for that
I am back everyone :)

manuel

That explains it!
Haha, sorry for the rolling eyes.  ::)  :P