Legend of Zelda questions

Started by jpx72, April 21, 2011, 01:04:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

P

OK I believe you. But I want to check it anyway so I can make sure that my mic works...

About Zelda 2, on second thought it is of course not enough to just know how to read katakana... You need to understand Japanese grammar as well and that is not so straight forward... Sorry I post without thinking sometimes, haha!

i heart yuna

Quote from: P on May 12, 2011, 11:40:52 am
OK I believe you. But I want to check it anyway so I can make sure that my mic works...

make sure it's turned up!
Famicom Club! http://www.famicom.ca

Killer Bob

I can also confirm now that the Japanese cartridge is identical to the original FDS-version in this regard. The enemy "Pols Voice" is immune to arrows and the old man's quote is the same as in the FDS-version. Either kill it with your sword or take the other option and yell in the mic. They probably just removed the hint in the manual for the re-release because there already was a hint in the game itself.

P

Quote from: i heart yuna on May 12, 2011, 12:16:54 pm
make sure it's turned up!

I'm sure it was turned up! I could hear my voice through the TV speakers, but the bunnies just continued to happily bounce around...

Quote from: Killer Bob on May 12, 2011, 01:51:16 pm
I can also confirm now that the Japanese cartridge is identical to the original FDS-version in this regard. The enemy "Pols Voice" is immune to arrows and the old man's quote is the same as in the FDS-version. Either kill it with your sword or take the other option and yell in the mic. They probably just removed the hint in the manual for the re-release because there already was a hint in the game itself.

This means people who bought the Famicom AV couldn't defeat Pols Voice without the sword (I think it is ten hits with the wood sword!)! Then maybe it wasn't the launch title like we thought...
And now I have no reason to play it anymore! Oh I have to test my mic at least...

nintendodork

iirc, every Famicom game that uses the microphone has a fallout option so that if you can't use your microphone for whatever reason, you press certain buttons, and then the game acts as if you said something into the microphone.  I don't remember what buttons those are, though.
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

P

You mean this function was implemented in the cartridge version but not the FDS version?
If that is the case then the button could maybe be START or SELECT on Controller II as they are missing from normal famicom.
Or do you mean there is something that should work in all games that use the mic?

nintendodork

It's something that works in all games that use the microphone.  Like I said, I don't know what it is, though.
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

Toolique

Hi guys,

I am new here, looks like a cool forum.  8)

I have a couple of questions,

I am willing to get the famicom version of Zelda.. I think I should get the cartridge version since I play on an AV famicom, my original famicom is hard to get to work here in the UK. But I was wondering, I sort of know all the differences between the versions, but is there a version you guys think is best ? I guess the FDS one is the original so it's cool in a way. But the cartridge is also more convenient I guess. Do both versions save game the same way ?

Also I have never played the original Zelda, there isnt much dialog in the game is there ? I can't read Japanese and I was wondering if that would be a problem. I can certainly find my way through basic menus. But is there major clues or quests given by some characters in the game that I would really need to read ?

Thanks in advance

L___E___T

Ideally, I would play through the FDS version for the different music and sound effects.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

P

September 04, 2014, 02:07:31 pm #39 Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 02:17:28 pm by P
I think the sound is the only real difference between the Japanese cart and disk version of the game. Saving works the same in all versions. I don't understand why the disk version wouldn't work on your AV Famicom though? It should be the same as playing on your original Famicom.

The mic fallout option that Nintendodork was talking about in the last posts is probably based on a false rumour involving Takeshi no Chousenjou. There is no such universal option to the microphone, so if you play on your AV Famicom you'll have to fight Pols Voice the hard way with your sword (not really a problem).

The language barrier is not a problem (the hints wasn't very helpful in the English version even). Plus the whole script has been translated here http://www.glitterberri.com/the-legend-of-zelda/retranslation-redux/.

I think the FDS version is the best BTW (same reason as LET).

Toolique

Cool thanks a lot, that's all I needed to know. Ordered the disk system version just now! cant wait.

The reason I said I'd rather have the cartridge version to work with my AV famicom is that I didn't realise you could kill those noise-sensitive enemies with the sword too !

P

But the cart version is no different from the disk version in that regard. If you want to kill them in one shot, you need the microphone both the cart version and the disk version. They can be killed with the sword in all versions though (10 hits with the wooden sword if I remember correctly).

Toolique

I see... I thought the cartridge version was closer to the EU and US releases and ditched the microphone feature all together.
Anyway, FDS game coming my way now, I should be able to experience this game very soon ! I have played pretty much all Zelda games on consoles, but the NES/famicom being my favourite console, can't wait to finally play the original.

hvc01

Some in game hints would make game easier to play. But there are many guides online to help you which I consider similar to guides you would get in print from magazines back in the day. Definitely able to  enjoy game even with the Japanese language as it doesn't detract from the adventure.

PS you can just blow into the Mic like the DS.

PPS I don't enjoy blowing on things  :P