Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 20, 2014, 11:21:25 PM
Home Famicom World Search Calendar Login Register

+  Famicom World
|-+  Misc.
| |-+  Off-Topic Chat (Moderators: manuel, MaxXimus, The Uninvited Gremlin, L___E___T)
| | |-+  What Languages Do You Speak?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Print
Author Topic: What Languages Do You Speak?  (Read 15951 times)
MaxXimus
Global Moderator
Sharp C1
Canada Canada

« Reply #150 on: March 25, 2014, 06:46:43 PM »

I speak English. I used to understand some french but that is all but gone now.
fcgamer
Twin Famicom

« Reply #151 on: March 26, 2014, 04:42:52 PM »

My Bosnian / Croatian friend of mine in the States told me that one time he knew a guy that had put B/C/M/S all on a resume to be hired, but that the hiring manager just happened to be from that region himself, and saw through the deception  Grin

English
Croatian
Bosnian
Serbian
Monte Negro
Kosovo
little bit Macedonian
little bit Albanian
some Slovenian

: D

Please check out my gaming blog, FC Game Land, for information and my own personal thoughts on Famicom and other imported games.  I will also list items for sale on there, for those who are interested.

FC Game Land:  http://fcgamer.wordpress.com/
doctorlai
Famicom

« Reply #152 on: April 04, 2014, 10:32:05 PM »

Smiley
every one visiting here speaks at least little bit English

plus, I speak Chinese (Mandarin,  a tiny bit of Cantonese  and the dialect Hokkien in my hometown)

i stayed in Switzerland (French zone), and I only remember Bonjour, salute, mercy bu gu.
I watch some Korean and Japanese AV movies, and that is why I know some f* words, yidaiyou (don't do this to me Smiley),
security16
Twin Famicom
Australia Australia

« Reply #153 on: June 12, 2014, 11:18:44 PM »

English, bad english and Loganese  Grin
zmaster18
Disk System
Canada Canada

« Reply #154 on: June 14, 2014, 02:10:58 AM »

I speak English. I used to understand some french but that is all but gone now.
Same here. Learned french from kindergarten to grade 9, then started forgetting. My gf is fluently french, even I'm french and can't speak very well. I'm also half Polish and don't know how to speak that either.

I'm learning some basic Japanese for fun on the side at a very casual pace. Japanese, and maybe french, are the only languages I want to learn.
ebinsugewa
Famicom
United States United States

« Reply #155 on: June 26, 2014, 09:12:28 AM »

English, Spanish, German, Japanese, Irish in order of proficiency.
MrNorbert
Famiclone
Hungary Hungary

« Reply #156 on: July 03, 2014, 07:19:08 AM »

I speak English for the most part, and I used to learn Italian for 4 years, but I completely forget everything about it. I learned mandarin-chinese, (there was a course in my school a year or so ago), still learning Russian, Japanese (kanji is just kills me), and I probably should start German at one point.

My native language is hungarian.
Shumi Nagaremono
Famicom
Japan Japan

« Reply #157 on: July 08, 2014, 09:47:29 PM »

English and Japanese

Tried learning Spanish, but failed hilariously.
fcgamer
Twin Famicom

« Reply #158 on: July 09, 2014, 06:06:31 PM »

English and Japanese

Tried learning Spanish, but failed hilariously.

Haha, people say Spanish is so easy, but the verbs kicked my ass (then again I was lazy and didn't study hard, and still received an A).  And that is the problem with university language courses:  I got an A in Spanish without even trying, just because the pace was so slow and the other schmucks did even worse.  What incentive is there to try hard, when you can get an A without doing the work?  When I studied German, I had passion, a fire to learn that language, and I think because of that it was much easier for me than Spanish...and people laugh, and think "WTF?  German is so hard compared to Spanish!"  But to me it was the opposite.

Please check out my gaming blog, FC Game Land, for information and my own personal thoughts on Famicom and other imported games.  I will also list items for sale on there, for those who are interested.

smileyman8b
Famicom
United States United States

c---K=====> Link <=====X---o

« Reply #159 on: July 09, 2014, 10:30:01 PM »

I with a burning passion completely dislike spanish  Tongue i dont know why but just the way the whole thing is setup bugs me and the fact that the accent is one that i can never pronounce doesnt make it better and on top of that my first year of spanish in highschool our teacher got fired for inappropriately texting a student... and so for the rest of the year we got a whole bunch of different subs who all didnt know spanish and pronounced it in the thickest country accent i have ever heard it was...... horrible  Cry and then for spanish two we got a pregnant teacher who treated it like it was boot camp with that being said without doing 1 day of homework or studying and being half awake through most of the class since it was first period i passed with like a low b or something on the spanish 2 final exam with 100 vocab and some 100 grammar questions all no multiple choice although for spanish one they just exempted the whole class cause even they said we learned nothing  Wink its probably that whole experience that made spanish not enjoyable for me but im just glad its over with  Cheesy

Deadpool- "YOU ATE THE LAST OF THE CHEESY PUFFS YOU SON OF A BI+cH!"  Angry
fcgamer
Twin Famicom

« Reply #160 on: July 10, 2014, 05:13:17 PM »

I really want to get back to my Dutch / Afrikaans studies, though I just have no time.  I need to find another South African friend here in Taiwan, maybe a drinking buddy or something, so I can just chat away and soak in the Afrikaans. 

For those who don't know, Afrikaans was originally / essentially a dialect of Dutch, spoken in South Africa when the Dutch had colonized down there.  Then over the few hundred years of separation, as well as an influence from English and African languages, the grammar simplified and it became recognized as a separate language.  But the comprehensibility between the two languages is quite high, without much real difficulty (just some pronunciation differences, vocab differences, and of course grammar differences).

I had self-studied Dutch off and on for a few years after becoming conversational in German (Dutch and German are quite similar).  When I moved to Taiwan, I was lucky enough to have a South African colleague, and I would chat with him in the Dutch I knew, and try to make it more "South African", and eventually it started becoming more Afrikaans than Dutch. 

One day my colleague and I were riding the bus back from the city to our home, and it was quite crowded, and there was an English person sitting near us.  My colleague had told me that we should speak in Afrikaans as many of the Taiwanese would understand English, at least somewhat, as well as the English person, and we didn't want people to eavesdrop our conversation.  So he told me all this in Afrikaans, and we started chatting away.  Ten minutes later, the English girl looked at my friend and asked in Dutch, "Where are you guys from?"  Turns out she wasn't English anyway but was Dutch, and had been listening to everything we said, and was wondering where the Dutch as a second language speaker (me) and the guy who spoke funky Dutch (my South African friend) were from.     

Post Merge: July 10, 2014, 05:14:41 PM
Also, I hate to say it but studying foreign languages is another hobby of mine; however, Famicom totally kicked the language hobby's ass, and these days I would rather spend my time gaming than studying word lists Sad  I know, I am becoming a terribly lazy, useless person.   Cry

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: