Famicom comic (1985) scanned

Started by xan_racketboy_fan, September 16, 2011, 03:27:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

xan_racketboy_fan

September 16, 2011, 03:27:35 pm Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 10:29:15 pm by xan_racketboy_fan
Hi everyone,

Not sure who would be interested, but I've scanned and uploaded the comic (single PDF file) that came with my Famicom. Was this originally bundled with the console at release? Either way, I'd like to share it with you guys. Would anyone be interested in translating it - I'd love to re-upload an English version. Enjoy  8)

Edit: 08/22/2021 - it's been nearly 10 years since this post first opened up, and I've been away for a very long time! Just wanted to put everyone's hardwork in this post in the spoiler (post #83). Thanks again everyone, I hope you're all well and good during these gnarly times.

Finished translation

original scans

manuel

Nice!
I always thought about translating that.
Maybe I'll do it some time...

xan_racketboy_fan

That'd be great if you could, I'd love to understand what was going on  ;D Seems like a cute way of discussing the Safety Precautions of Famicom.

P

Very nice indeed!
I also thought about translating famicom manuals as good as I can but I don't have so much time right now.

Benc

Just finished reading it, thanks so much for this!  ;)
:pacman: :bomb: :mario:

Strider_Hiryu

Quote from: manuel on September 16, 2011, 04:06:00 pm
Nice!
I always thought about translating that.
Maybe I'll do it some time...

It would be awesome!
Please do it!

xan_racketboy_fan

September 17, 2011, 11:22:52 am #6 Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 11:42:20 am by xan_racketboy_fan
You guys are welcomed! Just color me jealous - I wish I understood what was going on, lol. Maybe you guys could break up the pages and lessen the load, of course this would mean different interpretations but at least us English speakers would get the just of it :)

P

September 17, 2011, 04:59:02 pm #7 Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 02:23:57 am by P
I should really be doing something else but this was more fun heh. This is the script for the first 8 pages in English.

I did this to the best of my ability and I can't compare with Manuel who is living in Japan also I'm not a native English speaker. Maybe a native English speaker should look at it. Also maybe there is someone who can insert it in the PDF file.

I try to the best of my ability to translate every aspect of every sentence
so that as little as possible will be lost in translation. Please bear with me.

TN = Translators Note
SFX = Sound Effect

------Front page------

This is Family Computerâ„¢!!

-Family Computer Compilation-

------Front page------
----------1----------

SFX: Riririririiiing (School bell)

Boy: Yaay finiished for today!

Boy: Kyouko chan, come to my place so we can play famicom! This time I will win for sure!

Kyouko: Manabu kun have tried so many times but never win! You are so careless.

TN: I'm not familiar with a certain phrase here so this might be inaccurate.

Manabu: Bah!

Kyouko: But didn't your mother get angry with you?

TN: I'm not sure about this line.

TN: Manabu is a real boys name but it allso means learning. He has a manly way of talking.
Kyouko is a common girls name and she has a girly way of talking. I try to preserve this in english as much as possible.

----------1----------
----------2----------

Manabu: No problem! We can decide on a time now. So since we have made a promise it's ok!.

SFX: Thump thump (heartbeat)

----------2----------
----------3----------

SFX: Toko toko toko (footsteps, I don't know what it is in english sorry)

Kyouko: Wh- What is it you?

Kyouko: But oh is he cute.

Manabu: What is it chap!?

Tail Boy: Oh no don't mind me.

----------3----------
----------4----------

Manabu: OK see you later then.

Kyouko: Yes, I'll come.

SFX: Look look (looking around for something)

Manabu: Hey don't follow me around!

Tail Boy: No worry!

Manabu: What a strange guy.

----------4----------
----------5----------

Manabu: I'm home!

Tail Boy: I'm home!

Manabu: What the!?

Mother: Welcome hoome!

Tail Boy: I'm Konkichi! Sorry to disturb!

SFX: Bow

Mother: Oh my welcome.

TN: Manabus mother should have a feminine way of talking.

----------5----------
----------6----------

Konkichi: Let's have fun together!

Konkichi: Cut off from the TV!

Konkichi: Let me try a bit!

TN: Konkichi has a manly way of talking of course and obviously acts a little strange.

----------6----------
----------7----------

SFX: Piko (pressing a button, I don't really know what piko means sorry)

SFX: Daaaze! (dumbfounded)

Konkichi: What is this? What an easy game.

----------7----------
----------8----------

Kyouko: Sorry to disturb!

SFX: THUMP! (sudden heartbeat)

SFX: Meromero (drunk with love. I can't think of an english equivalent. Maybe "lovesick" would fit)

Kyouko: Oh my did you also come?

Manabu: This guy is great!

SFX: Kochi kochi (I'm not sure but I think "shake shake" would probably fit here)

Kyouko: What is so great? He is just messing up, Isn't he?

Manabu: Eh?

Mario: Eeeeh?

Mother: Only for one hour, ok.

----------8----------

Edit: Changed a few things that I didn't like.

NintendoKing

This is the first opportunity I have ever had to see the comic in all the years I have owned a Famicom; thanks for the pictures "xan_racketboy_fan" and thank you "P" for the translation.

UglyJoe

Quote from: P on September 17, 2011, 04:59:02 pm
Also maybe there is someone who can insert it in the PDF file.

If we can get a nice, full translation, then I wouldn't mind 'shopping in the text.  I did it for the Disk Fax Comic (and I know the diagonal text looks weird, but I was just matching how the original was styled).

xan_racketboy_fan

NP, The Uninvited Gremlin, glad to hear you're finally get the chance to see it. Thanks for the translation, P - I wouldn't mind plugging in a translation either, I've got a lot free time ahead of me.

P

September 19, 2011, 07:20:26 am #11 Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 07:43:18 am by P
NP, it is both fun and worthwhile I think. Nice to see that so many people wants to help. Now if we could just get a native English speaker to look into the translated sentences and make them more idiomatic with the help of my translators notes. I already want to change a lot of them that sounds weird.

I have no time to continue on this this week though, except maybe in the weekend...

jpx72

Thanks xan_racketboy_fan for the scan! It's awesome, I can finally print it and insert to my "boxed" famicom (I am completing my box since forever, first was the console, then the styrofoam, top cover, then RF switch, printed manual and now THIS!) THANKS!

manuel

Nice start, P.
I'll look into it once I have more time again.  :star:

xan_racketboy_fan

Quote from: jpx72 on September 20, 2011, 02:25:42 am
Thanks xan_racketboy_fan for the scan! It's awesome, I can finally print it and insert to my "boxed" famicom (I am completing my box since forever, first was the console, then the styrofoam, top cover, then RF switch, printed manual and now THIS!) THANKS!

You're welcome, it's great you're finally able to complete your Famicom! I myself need the AC adapter, but right now I'm playing with model 1 SEGA Genesis DC adapter.