I hate the Angry Video Game Nerd

Started by Parodius Duh, October 28, 2011, 09:56:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Parodius Duh

October 28, 2011, 09:56:56 am Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 12:27:11 pm by Parodius Duh
I really do. Why is he funny? because he swears a lot? Because he reviews games we all already know suck? ...and I hate the fact he drinks sissy Rolling Rocks.  I hate his useless friend Mike even more though, he seems like the type of person that would be obnoxiously drunk at a party that I would have to punch in the face repeatedly. Anybody else not a fan of AVGN?

MasterDisk

I do not like him much because of his fans. They decided he could be the only one reviewing old games and all others are copycats of him and he supports this idea.

Parodius Duh

Quote from: MasterDisk on October 28, 2011, 10:48:49 am
I do not like him much because of his fans. They decided he could be the only one reviewing old games and all others are copycats of him and he supports this idea.

This too. Im tired of trying to watch other peoples reviews of games AVGN would never touch, and then you see all these negative comments like "Youre not the Nerd" "You are just copying the avgn" etc., etc.

get a life, dude sucks and everyone has the right to review games they want to review. AVGN ruined it for everyone.

UglyJoe

I don't mind him too much.  I have to remind myself that he's not doing legitimate game reviews, but rather just trying to entertain while using NES games as a focal point.  Keeping that in mind, I can watch an episode or two every now and again.  Is he overrated?  Definitely.  But I'm not gonna hate a nerd just because he's popular.

VegaVegas

October 28, 2011, 11:27:33 am #4 Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 11:32:56 am by MaarioS
What do you mean by "copying"?? Well, sometimes the fans are right, but sometimes they are not. When I see not an AVGN review where some guy says "what a shitload of fuck!!", so.... sorry, but just don't tell me it's not a copy of AVGN... But I haven't noticed that people consider EVERY review an AVGN copy, relax. Do what you'd like to do.

Parodius Duh

Quote from: MaarioS on October 28, 2011, 11:27:33 am
What do you mean by "copying"?? Well, sometimes the fans are right, but sometimes they are not. When I see not an AVGN review where some guy says "what a shitload of fuck!!", so.... sorry, but just don't tell me it's not a copy of AVGN... But I haven't noticed that people consider EVERY review an AVGN copy, relax. Do what you'd like to do.

Its not so much saying "Shitload of fuck" I mean theres the blatant rip-offs, Irate gamer for example who directly steals the dialog and insults from AVGN.... But then theres the regular dudes like me who want to review a game and  if anyone says a single swear word in their review then all these AVGN lackeys freak
out.

Sure hope AVGN copywrites "Shitload of fuck" since hes the only person on earth allowed to say that now...

son_ov_hades

I love the nerd. He's funny because he personifies my emotions when I play shitty games, but exaggerates them to a ridiculous degree. I don't like a lot of his stupid theatrical stuff, like fighting the SMB3 cart with some Jesus tank or something stupid like that. He's funny when he simply points out, and reacts to really awful game design. Plus the idea of a 30 year old guy bitching on the internet about games that are so old most people have forgotten about them is funny in and of itself.

Parodius Duh

I need to correct myself and point out that its the character of the Angry video game nerd I dislike, I do enjoy James Rolfe's Horror film reviews for Cinemassacre.

Post Merge: October 28, 2011, 01:48:55 pm

AVGN is kind of like Larry the Cable Guy, people dont realize hes an actual person underneath!  :D

P

I haven't watched that many reviews by him as I don't really understand the point of all that swearing and all that. But I must admit he has some charm and does some things quite well. For example talking about the history and different versions of the game. But it seems he thinks every game he reviews is bad just because it's hard or doesn't fit well with modern standards or the like.

I like the melody of the theme though.

petik1

Yeah, I hope you guys realize that the Angry Video Game Nerd is a character played by James Rolfe. James is a really dedicated gamer/movie buff (just look at the room he keeps his games/movies in), and I admire the work he puts into his videos. I personally like his reviews only when he gives the history of them/positive reviews.

linkzpikachu

i like him, mainly because my feeble mind finds him entertaining. i like his 'parody' style of review the games, i also think he would be an OK guy to hang around (drunk or sober) just by watching some of his update videos
FUCK YEAH SEAKING!

nintendodork

Quote from: petik1 on October 28, 2011, 06:40:22 pm
I hope you guys realize that the Angry Video Game Nerd is a character played by James Rolfe. James is a really dedicated gamer/movie buff (just look at the room he keeps his games/movies in), and I admire the work he puts into his videos.
This.

People who hate on AVGN have to look at him solely as a (cartoon, if you will) character rather than a person.  James Rolfe's Cinemassacre as a whole is very entertaining to me, and I appreciate all of the work he does, since I'm also really into film making and thinking of original ideas, and he does that very well in a variety of ways.  I especially enjoy the various movie lists he does, as they've really gotten me into some movies that I would've never thought about touching in the past.
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

Parodius Duh

Quote from: petik1 on October 28, 2011, 06:40:22 pm
Yeah, I hope you guys realize that the Angry Video Game Nerd is a character played by James Rolfe. James is a really dedicated gamer/movie buff (just look at the room he keeps his games/movies in), and I admire the work he puts into his videos. I personally like his reviews only when he gives the history of them/positive reviews.

thats why i said this:

Quote from: Parodius Duh on October 28, 2011, 01:47:53 pm
I need to correct myself and point out that its the character of the Angry video game nerd I dislike, I do enjoy James Rolfe's Horror film reviews for Cinemassacre.

Post Merge: October 28, 2011, 01:48:55 pm

AVGN is kind of like Larry the Cable Guy, people dont realize hes an actual person underneath!  :D

Xious

Frankly, I love both JR's productions in general, and his portrayal of the AVGN. I was hooked after his three-part review of 'Ghostbusters' games, and I enjoy his theatrical productions, even if they are very low-budget. Costumes and expensive effects do not make much of a difference to me: I enjoy his scripts.

I do note that he seems to be running out of steam,but he's done ..what about 150 shorts... with the original idea of doing one or two. Perhaps I find him amusing because he curses at things in much the manner that I might, although my colourful language is of another style. I do find some similarities, even if I disagree with some of his choices, as I know that he's selecting games for the sake of comedic effect, not always for legitimate reviews. For example, Kemco's 'Bugs Bunny CrazyCastle', (a.k.a. 'Roger Rabbit' for the FDS, which is not the same as 'Roger Rabbit' for the NES), is IMHO one of the better action puzzle games on the system, and though I love it, I was also amused by his reviews of it, along with the BB character acting, as hokey as that may be at times. 

His Robot video is, in my opinion, a masterpiece of video game parody, and let's face it, you have to enjoy parody to like his style. I really don't care if hardcore fans go out of their way to attack other reviewers: That's a fan (i.e. fanatic) issue, not a problem with the serial. I never liked 'The Irate Gamer', partly because he isn't as good at portraying comedic action--he just isn't as natural, and most of his work seems forced--and because he just looks like the average 30-something bloke. He didn't really give himself any screen personality.

James' 'Nerd' has a persona; a feeling of reality, and natural character traits. That's because he's been plotted out with a history, and quirks that make him human; he feels like the angry nerd in all of us.

I also enjoy realistic reviews, including 'Chrontendo' and 'YCPT'. True, I don.t always agree with them: Chrontendo has moments where Dr.S. obviously didn't know how to play a game, and thus downgraded it, or where he missed a critical difference between regional releases that deserves mention; JW over-endorses reproduction games and doesn't mention postage costs when tabulating import values, but they are overall very solid productions that I enjoy watching for the sake of entertainment.

Both are also often educational to the community. What it boils down to is that these are free programmes for entertainment. People shouldn't have a need to hate any of them, for any reason. You might consider that these folks are making a contribution to the retro-game community and help expand the horizons of people that would otherwise be oblivious to this niche hobby. I value the obscene amount of work that goes into these productions, and the time involved, as well as the laughs and the nostalgia that come with them. :bomb:

FamicomRetroGamer

I stopped watching his videos/reviews because I got tired of the overused swearing and to be frank I just don't like him any more or in some years that came by already.

RWJ (Ray William J. - YouTube) isn't funny but sometimes he has one or two funny-ish videos.

Though, he blocked me so I can't neither subscribe again (if I wanted) or leave a comment, I guess this is what he does to his haters, I'm not a hater, I just said my honest opinion.

That kid getting kissed by the bench from FailBlog is hilariously epic! xD