I hate the Angry Video Game Nerd

Started by Parodius Duh, October 28, 2011, 09:56:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

petik1

Spoiler
Ray William Johnson is a faggot, was always a faggot, and forever will be a faggot. What the hell does he do anyway? Review viral videos? What the fuck is that?
[close]

FamicomRetroGamer

If someone/something is actually funny, naturally I'll laugh but if not then I won't.

Like this video:

FAIL Blog: Didn't See That Coming FAIL

It's really stupid but hilarious at the same time. ;D

MWK

linkzpikachu

He 'reviews' retro games (mainly NES) on cinemassacre/youtube and is known for his vulgarity and dirty comentary made to the review
FUCK YEAH SEAKING!

Kiddo

Quote from: Xious on October 29, 2011, 07:46:42 am
Frankly, I love both JR's productions in general, and his portrayal of the AVGN. I was hooked after his three-part review of 'Ghostbusters' games, and I enjoy his theatrical productions, even if they are very low-budget. Costumes and expensive effects do not make much of a difference to me: I enjoy his scripts.

I do note that he seems to be running out of steam,but he's done ..what about 150 shorts... with the original idea of doing one or two. Perhaps I find him amusing because he curses at things in much the manner that I might, although my colourful language is of another style. I do find some similarities, even if I disagree with some of his choices, as I know that he's selecting games for the sake of comedic effect, not always for legitimate reviews. For example, Kemco's 'Bugs Bunny CrazyCastle', (a.k.a. 'Roger Rabbit' for the FDS, which is not the same as 'Roger Rabbit' for the NES), is IMHO one of the better action puzzle games on the system, and though I love it, I was also amused by his reviews of it, along with the BB character acting, as hokey as that may be at times. 

His Robot video is, in my opinion, a masterpiece of video game parody, and let's face it, you have to enjoy parody to like his style. I really don't care if hardcore fans go out of their way to attack other reviewers: That's a fan (i.e. fanatic) issue, not a problem with the serial. I never liked 'The Irate Gamer', partly because he isn't as good at portraying comedic action--he just isn't as natural, and most of his work seems forced--and because he just looks like the average 30-something bloke. He didn't really give himself any screen personality.

James' 'Nerd' has a persona; a feeling of reality, and natural character traits. That's because he's been plotted out with a history, and quirks that make him human; he feels like the angry nerd in all of us.

I also enjoy realistic reviews, including 'Chrontendo' and 'YCPT'. True, I don.t always agree with them: Chrontendo has moments where Dr.S. obviously didn't know how to play a game, and thus downgraded it, or where he missed a critical difference between regional releases that deserves mention; JW over-endorses reproduction games and doesn't mention postage costs when tabulating import values, but they are overall very solid productions that I enjoy watching for the sake of entertainment.

Both are also often educational to the community. What it boils down to is that these are free programmes for entertainment. People shouldn't have a need to hate any of them, for any reason. You might consider that these folks are making a contribution to the retro-game community and help expand the horizons of people that would otherwise be oblivious to this niche hobby. I value the obscene amount of work that goes into these productions, and the time involved, as well as the laughs and the nostalgia that come with them. :bomb:

Agree with this 99%

FamicomFreak

I wouldn't say I hate him but I disagree with the way he criticizes certain games. They may suck by today's standards but games like TMNT and even Silver Surfer were the shit back in the way in which we had to use pure skills to get through them. I know he is portraying a character he created so I let it slide. I do like his older stuff better than the newer stuff. He seems to be running out of steam which is probably why he is going to do the movie. I wish him luck ^_^
Retro Gaming Life  www.retrogaminglife.com

tappybot

He's not a self righteous asshole.  He's barely even a gamer but is more of a movie buff.

His best episodes are the ones in which he creates a little story, has costumed friends in on the action, and it goes beyond the shitty game..  After all, there's not much to be said for a shit game.
I like seeing him do what he does best.. And when he really gets into it himself, the episodes are great (Spiderman, Bugs Bunny, Ninja Gaiden, glitches, etc)

What's irritating is there's a massive fan base who bitch about these awesome episodes and instead just want him to do the same recycled cursing and a straight up game review....  Boring.. And I know James himself has expressed how he's become tired with it.   I'm sure he secretly despises the super nerd types who must be constantly mailing him concerning what shit game he needs to do next, or a barrage of mail critiquing his videos..

Right now, he's still casually keeping up (though the episodes have gotten quite weak.. you can feel his disinterest) for the sake of the fans.

nintendodork

^I'm not sure if that's the case either.  I don't know if he's still planning this, but at one point he wanted to do an AVGN movie. 
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

petik1

@tappybot Hardly a gamer? Have you seen his room?

KingPepe

Yeah, I have to agree with Xious on this one but if there's anything I really hate about AVGN, it's just the fanbase. It's like they make video game reviewing something that only James can do.

tappybot

Quote from: petik1 on November 04, 2011, 05:10:08 pm
@tappybot Hardly a gamer? Have you seen his room?

Haha, well, compared to today's hardcore gamer.  He's more of a collector, less of a gamer.  When he was a kid, sure, but he's a busy dude these days and doesn't play modern game consoles from what I gather.

Xious

Quote from: FamicomFreak on November 02, 2011, 04:25:26 pm
I wouldn't say I hate him but I disagree with the way he criticizes certain games. They may suck by today's standards but games like TMNT and even Silver Surfer were the shit back in the way in which we had to use pure skills to get through them. I know he is portraying a character he created so I let it slide. I do like his older stuff better than the newer stuff. He seems to be running out of steam which is probably why he is going to do the movie. I wish him luck ^_^

The critique, as stated by James, is not meant to be serious, or even rational. it's supposed to be comical, pointing out some flaws in the most ludicrous way possible. :bomb:

crade

I like his stuff.  If there were tons of people doing funny reviews of NES games to the point that I didn't have time to watch them, I might be more picky...  But there aren't.
GRRR!

nensondubois

I think the Angry Video Game Nerd is funny. Sure, he may saturate his videos with cursing but I don't give a shit. He's just funny for some reason. The Irate Gamer was never funny and I didn't care for him/the scandal/whatever.

I do disagree that the Angry Video Game Nerd should have a monopoly in reviewing bad games even if he has a lot of fans. Just doesn't seem right to me. As a Let's Player I'm not bothered, but suppose I decide to do commentary and soon after some idiot(s) will thumbs down the video and say "U R AVGN copier (blah blah blah dumbass cursing), you suck!!!" I mean, it just promotes stupidity. I'd hate to say it but his fans are kind of the cancer killing the gaming community. I could go on with this but I really don't feel the need to. :yoshi:

Zwario

I can't believe no one mentioned the "Happy Video game Nerd".  He is actually funny, and he actually likes the games he reviews, I really like his reviews!!