Finds (Famicom/FDS)

Started by Alex930, July 30, 2006, 12:09:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

P

Quote from: L___E___T on October 07, 2015, 01:21:07 am
That came out on the Gameboy as well didn't it?

Yeah maybe it did, it was ported to various systems it seems. AFAIK there's no licensed cartridge version of the FDS game I mean.

L___E___T

Quote from: Hubz on September 22, 2015, 02:05:43 pm
Good find and price on 19 (Neunzehn)! It's always fun to take a chance on cheap FDS games, especially when it works out  ;D

Just wanted to chime in and say that an English translation patch just popped up, for anyone that hadn't played 19 before, for example:

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2490/
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

UglyJoe

Quote from: L___E___T on October 13, 2015, 09:45:32 am
Just wanted to chime in and say that an English translation patch just popped up, for anyone that hadn't played 19 before, for example:

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2490/

I appreciate the translation, but I'd have to do a quick font hack to play that :-[

MaxXimus

I agree. It looks neat but is very hard on the eyes.

chowder

Won a Turbo Twin Famicom (AN-505-BK model) on eBay for around $100 shipped.  I've wanted one for ages, and that seems like a good price :)

The FDS drive doesn't work, but I'm used to fixing those now!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sharp-Twin-Famicom-Console.jpg

Shumi Nagaremono

Finally finished my Famicom Rockman collection.  :)

If you're ever in Yokohama, don't miss ZEST in Tostuka.

fcgamer

Oh man, I miss Japan so much.   :-[  I feel so confused about my future.
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

famifan

Ghegs

That is Hikari no Senshi Photon: The Ultimate Game on Planet Earth.

Shumi Nagaremono

This is probably the best "find" I've had since I started actively collecting.  There's a pretty cool story, but end is that this whole lot only set me back 6,800 yen.  Over the freakin moon about this.

fcgamer

Care to share the story with us?  Congrats on the find!
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

Shumi Nagaremono

There's this family-owned toy/game store near my place.  It is fantastic.  Like a place that is frozen in time.  A throwback to the late 80's and early 90's.  I've been going there for years, ever since my wife's job necessitated our moving to the area. 

It's one of those old-style places, where the owners own the building itself.  Where the family lives on the second floor while allowing the first floor to be used as a retail space.  It's amazing, top to bottom.  The current owner is incredibly knowledgeable about video games from pre-Famicom up through present day.  And, by that, I mean "he knows everything from the colors of individual Famicom carts to the publishers of games, rare and common, and beyond.  And, his mom is sweet and nice and makes my wife and me tea when we come by. 

For one reason or another, it's been a few months since my wife and I dropped by this place.  I was looking for Super Contra, New Ghostbusters 2, and the second and third Ninja Ryukenden games.  The owner was like, "Give me a sec to check in the back.  Pretty sure I've got Ninja Ryukenden 2 somewhere.  Oh, and feel free to pick through the stuff in front.  I've pulled out a bunch of stuff front storage since you've last been here." 

"Oh!  Here's Super Contra!" I said. 

"Awesome!  I've got a copy of Ninja 2, but the sticker on the back is missing.  That cool?" he replied.  "Oh, yeah.  That's fine.  I just want to play the thing." 

"Great!  By the by, did you check out the boxed games?" 

I flipped through the stacks of boxed Super Famicom games and noticed copies of Akumajou Dracula and Contra Spirits for 1,480 yen and 980 yen, respectively.  Games that I absolutely needed for my collection.  While going through the loose carts, I couldn't believe when I happened upon Crisis Force.  My number one "wanted" Famicom cart.  I mean, yeah, Summer Carnival, Rikkle, and Panic Restaurant are all more expensive and rare, but Crisis Force is this amazing, fun, and fairly tough to find cart, and (arguably) the best SHMUP on the console.  And it wast stickered at 1,200 yen.

Now, this is a place that I've bought a measurable percentage of my collection from.  For hardware, especially, they've been very good to me.  They set me up with my Famicom Robot stuff (boxed Robot, Gyro, and Block sets for a combined 5,000 yen), most of my joysticks (Family king, Pachinko controller, etc).  I bought my copies of Wacky Races, Akumajou Densetsu, FC Genjin, Boku Dracula-kun, and dozens more from them. 

The owner was like, "I'm always happy to sell to somebody like you who loves the hobby and who actually plays the games".  Nothing against the guys who just resell on net auctions, but I prefer folks who play and enjoy these games. 

I showed him a picture of the current state of my collection, and he (the owner of the largest privately-owned video game store I've ever been to in the country) looked impressed. 

He rang up my purchase and tried to give me a discount.  Like I was doing HIM a favor by buying 20-30 thousand yen worth of games for six thousand.  I (politely) asked him not to discount the price, on the grounds that I'd been hunting for a copy of Super Contra and Ninja Ryukenden 2 and would happily pay whatever he'd marked them as. 

But, truth be told, I still feel like a real heel for walking out of his store with what I consider by best "haul" of all time, having only paid 6,800 yen.  :(

FamiGamer86

That place kinda sounds like the Famicom Dojo Store.
So I once shipped an item with SAK (Below Economy Airmail) instead of SAL or EMS. I had to retrieve the package from the Amazon rainforest. The system was a bit dirty, but still worked. Never ship anything with SAK, because they ship packages from JOS.

Shumi Nagaremono

Quote from: FamiGamer86 on October 31, 2015, 08:32:26 am
That place kinda sounds like the Famicom Dojo Store.

Could you elaborate, please?

FamiGamer86

So I once shipped an item with SAK (Below Economy Airmail) instead of SAL or EMS. I had to retrieve the package from the Amazon rainforest. The system was a bit dirty, but still worked. Never ship anything with SAK, because they ship packages from JOS.