Famicom console black picture

Started by fredJ, January 31, 2014, 02:29:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fredJ

Could need an expert advice.
Does anyone know what this strange problem could be from?

I have two AV modded famicoms that work "sometimes".
Sometimes you boot them up, and they give only a BLACK PICTURE. No grey, blue or any other picture. Just a black picture. The mic still works but it doesn't matter if there is a game in the console or not.

On a few occasions the game starts up like it should. It may even run for an hour. But usually just black picture.
My colleague even "fixed" one of them. It seemed to work and we sold it, but then the customer reported the same problem again! Like a nightmare problem.

I am thinking that some component inside is faulty/glitchy?
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com

P

The mic input gets mixed with the sound output inside the Famicom so if it works that's proof that your Famicom gets a current I guess. So the problem is video output. Was it tested on a new TV? Newer TVs tend to give up if the picture isn't good enough and not display anything at all instead of a snowy picture. If that's the case maybe you should check on the AV-mod that it's done properly, and check with a multimeter.

That's all I can think of now.

fredJ

Hmm, the picture needs to be strong? You mean strong current?
That should mean that the famicom should be running the game, which is hard to test. I don't get picture or sound anyways.

Good suggestion however. It could be related to the TV somehow.

Now that I tested I noticed something funny. If I press Reset when I have the black picture, the game starts! Have tried 10/10 times now with different games. First black, then pressing reset and the game starts.
Any possible explanations? What could cause this?

It is not a new TV, I could add.
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com

P

No I mean a strong video signal. But since you said sound doesn't work it's probably not just a case of a weak video signal. We need help from someone that knows electronics.

But you could always do a continuity check with a multimeter to see if there are any loose connections.

80sFREAK

Recap, reflow, lubricate, calibrate start from capacitor on reset line.
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy