What Languages Do You Speak?

Started by Jedi Master Baiter, February 14, 2007, 02:42:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ebinsugewa

English, Spanish, German, Japanese, Irish in order of proficiency.

Shumi Nagaremono

English and Japanese

Tried learning Spanish, but failed hilariously.

fcgamer

Quote from: Shumi Nagaremono on July 08, 2014, 03:47:29 pm
English and Japanese

Tried learning Spanish, but failed hilariously.

Haha, people say Spanish is so easy, but the verbs kicked my ass (then again I was lazy and didn't study hard, and still received an A).  And that is the problem with university language courses:  I got an A in Spanish without even trying, just because the pace was so slow and the other schmucks did even worse.  What incentive is there to try hard, when you can get an A without doing the work?  When I studied German, I had passion, a fire to learn that language, and I think because of that it was much easier for me than Spanish...and people laugh, and think "WTF?  German is so hard compared to Spanish!"  But to me it was the opposite.
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

smileyman8b

I with a burning passion completely dislike spanish  :P i dont know why but just the way the whole thing is setup bugs me and the fact that the accent is one that i can never pronounce doesnt make it better and on top of that my first year of spanish in highschool our teacher got fired for inappropriately texting a student... and so for the rest of the year we got a whole bunch of different subs who all didnt know spanish and pronounced it in the thickest country accent i have ever heard it was...... horrible  :'( and then for spanish two we got a pregnant teacher who treated it like it was boot camp with that being said without doing 1 day of homework or studying and being half awake through most of the class since it was first period i passed with like a low b or something on the spanish 2 final exam with 100 vocab and some 100 grammar questions all no multiple choice although for spanish one they just exempted the whole class cause even they said we learned nothing  ;) its probably that whole experience that made spanish not enjoyable for me but im just glad its over with  :D
Deadpool- "YOU ATE THE LAST OF THE CHEESY PUFFS YOU SON OF A BI+cH!"  >:(

fcgamer

I really want to get back to my Dutch / Afrikaans studies, though I just have no time.  I need to find another South African friend here in Taiwan, maybe a drinking buddy or something, so I can just chat away and soak in the Afrikaans. 

For those who don't know, Afrikaans was originally / essentially a dialect of Dutch, spoken in South Africa when the Dutch had colonized down there.  Then over the few hundred years of separation, as well as an influence from English and African languages, the grammar simplified and it became recognized as a separate language.  But the comprehensibility between the two languages is quite high, without much real difficulty (just some pronunciation differences, vocab differences, and of course grammar differences).

I had self-studied Dutch off and on for a few years after becoming conversational in German (Dutch and German are quite similar).  When I moved to Taiwan, I was lucky enough to have a South African colleague, and I would chat with him in the Dutch I knew, and try to make it more "South African", and eventually it started becoming more Afrikaans than Dutch. 

One day my colleague and I were riding the bus back from the city to our home, and it was quite crowded, and there was an English person sitting near us.  My colleague had told me that we should speak in Afrikaans as many of the Taiwanese would understand English, at least somewhat, as well as the English person, and we didn't want people to eavesdrop our conversation.  So he told me all this in Afrikaans, and we started chatting away.  Ten minutes later, the English girl looked at my friend and asked in Dutch, "Where are you guys from?"  Turns out she wasn't English anyway but was Dutch, and had been listening to everything we said, and was wondering where the Dutch as a second language speaker (me) and the guy who spoke funky Dutch (my South African friend) were from.     

Post Merge: July 10, 2014, 11:14:41 am

Also, I hate to say it but studying foreign languages is another hobby of mine; however, Famicom totally kicked the language hobby's ass, and these days I would rather spend my time gaming than studying word lists :(  I know, I am becoming a terribly lazy, useless person.   :'(

Mega Mania

1. Finnish
2. English
3. Swedish

This is very typical of what Finns can speak languages. :)

Cheetahmen

English and a bit of German I learned at school, that's about it. :( I want to go to an adult class to learn another language but I don't know which one or when I'll get the time to do that.
Life is too short to be little.
Twitter | DeviantArt | Youtube | Twitch

xIceMan

VegaVegas

Polish and English (more into U.S. dialect the way I was taught), that's it. I don't need anything else. Although knowledge of Japanese would be so helpful in my case but I just don't feel like learning anything more besides basics like hiragana & katakana....

jensma

German, English and French.

fcgamer

I need to get back to studying Chinese, but I am just so damned busy.  The last thing I want to do after working from morning until night is to crack the books.  Same thoughts about exercise, haha.  I just hope that the extra effort I am putting in now will help me with my career, so that in two years time, I can focus more on other things in life than just work.  We'll see.

In my church, everyone except for me and the priest is from the Philippines.  Although I attend the "English" mass, some of the songs are sung in Tagalog / Filipino, and of course the other members also feel much more comfortable talking in that language before / after mass as well.  Wanting to get better connected with my fellow parishioners, I decided to pull my Tagalog book off the shelf yesterday, and I am thinking about casually studying it as well, at least some basic phrases and the like.  Interestingly enough, in some ways I think learning it would be more beneficial to me than improving my Chinese, but others would beg to differ, I know.

Likewise, I am also quite interested in learning Indonesian to a conversational level, but I can think of little justification to pursue this at the moment, since Chinese is most important, with Tagalog being semi-justifiable as well due to wanting to get involved with my church more.

I also have a desire to learn some basic Japanese for reading (i.e. videogames) and I feel with my knowledge of Chinese characters, I have a slight advantage, but of course with the goal in mind, this is lower on the list compared to the "languages used in real life".

nabbeth

Russian and English for now, maybe a little French.

Oh, and I'm also looking for some English language partners or just native speakers for (voice)chatting.
Some of you might think that my English is decent, but unfortunatelly, I don't feel confident while writing something and especially while speaking. I guess I need more practice.

Anyway, if you're interested in talking about some videogames, design, culture or just some random stuff - please sent me a PM. :)

number47

FAMICOM_87

June 14, 2016, 12:09:22 am #163 Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 12:56:30 am by FAMICOM_87
English
Bulgarian (native)
Serbian/Croatian/Bosnian (native) Yes they are all the same language, but with different names, depends on who you ask  ;D  :crazy:
Macedonian (it is between Bulgarian and Serbian so I can understand it)
I can understand a little bit of Russian and may be Slovenian
:)

Wanderer

English, Russian, and I can understand various bits of other Slavic languages if I read them, not so much if I hear them spoken.

I did learn German, but proceeded to forget most of it after I finished school.