Famicom world is not active enough

Started by BonBon, November 15, 2011, 11:41:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nintendodork

Quote from: Parodius Duh on November 24, 2011, 11:31:14 pm
chances are you will get a negative response towards ANYTHING, especially if you dont have 100s of posts.
I don't agree with this.  I'm registered there, and every time I ask a question (and I still only have about 30 posts at most), I'm always greeted with a polite response.  I haven't run into one person yet who has tried to argue with anything I've said.
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

security16

I've just re-discovered these forums (hardware failure and life made me forget all about this) and so far i've found that it's quite active and really helpful and quite a nice little community to be a part of.

punkpolitical

I think the forum is just fine. I only post when i have something to input or compliment someone for their info or work. To me this
is the best forum on the internet. It might be small but it is awesome. :star:

tonev

I think the forum is fine the way it is  the fact that we are small makes stuff great :)
I am back everyone :)

Xious

Quote from: nintendodork on November 25, 2011, 10:10:16 pm
Quote from: Parodius Duh on November 24, 2011, 11:31:14 pm
chances are you will get a negative response towards ANYTHING, especially if you dont have 100s of posts.
I don't agree with this.  I'm registered there, and every time I ask a question (and I still only have about 30 posts at most), I'm always greeted with a polite response.  I haven't run into one person yet who has tried to argue with anything I've said.

Agreed. I have not had the reported level of negativity that others seem to place on NA. There will always be people on any forum that drive me mad, but I just accept that and then move on. The simple rule is that in any population, at least 5% of the people will be generally useless, and when you have twenty-thousand people vs. two-thousand, you widen the number of people that fall into that category.

In my life, i have had to work with individuals with a full spectrum of personality types and from every walk of life. I know how to handle just about any situation, so I don fall into many traps, and when one of the forum trolls goes after anything I've said, I either find a way to terminate their shenanigans or I evade them entirely.

That said, the advertisements on NA (that are forced scrolling, floating, and always on-top) drive me positively bonkers.  Trying to read on a tiny screen is difficult, and it is impossible from my Treo. I often use FW on my Treo 700w, including responding to posts and P.M.s with little trouble (aside from the two-inch LCD and microscopic text), however other forums are more tedious; even my own. 

I can also say that I've had much larger sales on their B/S/T board than here, as you attract a larger audience. I also get a larger number of gripes over pricing, but I expect those. :bomb:

Drakon

Personally I think all the true collectors and appreciators come here.  American and english speakers alike mostly didn't grow up playing famicoms, we grew up playing the nes.  Sure this place isn't super active, but the quality level of this forum is far superior to other forums.  I'd love to have more people posting here who're like the awesome regulars, but whatever I'm just glad that a place like this even exists.  If we tried to change this place to make it more popular and active then it would basically have to become a NA clone.  Personally...I'd rather keep this place focused just on famicom hardware and software.

nusilver

Agreed! I've learned more and met/transacted with so many more awesome like-minded people here in the last month or two than I have probably in any other community. You guys are all awesome. I wouldn't change FW one bit.

jpx72

Quote from: Drakon on February 28, 2012, 08:07:17 pm
...American and english speakers alike mostly didn't grow up playing famicoms, we grew up playing the nes...

Very nice comment and I only want to add that many European and Russian gamers (like me) were raised on Fami-clones, which are basically Famicoms. There were only a few "72 pin" = NES clones out here, and these were sold with 60-72 adapters anyway.

Frank_fjs

I prefer smaller more intimate forums.

• Makes it easier to meet great people. Greater sense of community I suppose as you can get to know people better.
  • More pleasurable to browse. I don't have that much free time, so when I visit a forum that has 10000 posts per minute I end up rushing through the new posts list and most likely miss out on a lot of cool material due to not having the patience to sift through it all.
  • Less rubbish posts and more worthwhile content.

I'm new here but so far I quite like things as they are. There are great sticky sections with useful information, a few skilled and technically minded people to help out the soldering iron noobs such as myself, and some really great deals on offer via the for sale section.

fredJ

There were actually 2304 active users on 2011-06-26, what happened on that day I wonder?
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com

cobracon

After being here just a short time, I really enjoy these forums. I haven't noticed any trolls or spam. I found this site by using google, after finding a few famicom carts at a local shop. Tons of great information here. Only wish there was a few stickies for noobs like me. It took a little digging here to find the info I needed.

manuel

Quote from: fredJ on March 06, 2012, 03:05:48 pm
There were actually 2304 active users on 2011-06-26, what happened on that day I wonder?

I think it either was an error, or there were lots and lots of google bots underway...

Jedi Master Baiter

March 07, 2012, 09:34:41 pm #27 Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 05:02:58 pm by Jedi QuestMaster
We welcome our robot overlords.

MasterDisk

Quote from: fredJ on March 06, 2012, 03:05:48 pm

I don't know what's going on with those baidu bots, they are like 20 or more always on the forums. while there usually only one Google Spider.

So it must have been a bug with the forum data or the bots went crazy  ;D

Floopy

To be honest , I`m wondering if I`m not a boot also. Lool. I did get the registration answer "Are You a Boot" I also noticed that the forum is not that animated anymore.
I dont need a signature because I`m to lazy to write.