Famicom AC-Adapter and General Power F.A.Q.

Started by Xious, November 18, 2011, 06:54:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NintendoKing

Sega Genesis Model 2 adapter will work perfectly.

g_block

the smaller one with the yellow tip, came with the 2nd genesis (without the headphone port/volume control)?

Pikkon

Quote from: g_block on January 04, 2014, 05:40:19 pm
so what AC adapter (for the US that some one here has personal experience with) works on an AV Famicom with no risk of damaging hardware, please?
(I've got an AV Famicom on the way and would like to have the adapter I need by the time it arrives :) )

Thanks  :)

A sega genesis model 1 psu will work just fine,it's what I use on my av famicom.

gamer888

Hi all!!

The thread is quite useful but I have this question.

I live in France and I have a AV Famicom. I am almost sure the PSU is not the official one (well actually , I am sure lol)

It displays this:

I/P:100-240v 50-60kz 0.42A
O/P: DC 9V 2.0A

Until now, I have been using a step down converter..one of those big black box. So far so good. But I have been wondering latetly wether I could use just one these "thingies" for the plug (the same one might use for laptops or shavers).

Thanks!

P

If the input is 100-240v like you said it is, then surely it should work anywhere in the world without a step-down. France (and the rest of Europe) has somewhere between 220-240v.

gamer888

I figured....that's what logic told me but I was unsure since the cost (frying the FC) would have been quite high!Also, I am a noob in such matters!

P

If you have a multimeter (or voltmeter) you can always check the voltage first to be sure.

iStreet

If i read it correct, i can use a Super famicom power adaptor for the famicom? Those are the same? Because i can not use a PAL SNES power adaptor on the famicom...
I always downshift near a hybrid, so they can hear me hurt the environment...

Pikkon

Bob-Bob

I have a question for those of you who own and use multiple Japanese systems.

I'm planning to get a Famicom and eventually a Disk System and a Super Famicom. The OP recommends a step-down transformer to convert 120V to 100V, understandably so. But most of those transformers only have one or two outlets. If you have 3 or more systems, what do you guys recommend I do? The PSUs for all three Famicoms are very large and aren't likely to fit together so easily.

UglyJoe

You can plug a power strip into the step down converter and all of its outlets will have the reduced voltage.

Bob-Bob

Is it safe to just use a regular US power strip? Or do I have to use a Japanese power strip? Just making sure.

GohanX

The voltage is close enough not to matter, I've been using Japanese systems and power supplies for eons, but if you're worried just use a US Genesis power supply. That's a whole lot easier than worrying about step down converters.

Do not use a NES supply!

Bob-Bob

I have a model 2 Sega Genesis (the one that came with Sonic 2). But I saw a post earlier in the thread saying that its polarity is the opposite of the model 1 PSU.

I'd really prefer to just use the Famicom's PSU. I feel it's the safest option.

P

Quote from: Bob-Bob on May 17, 2014, 08:04:45 pm
Is it safe to just use a regular US power strip? Or do I have to use a Japanese power strip? Just making sure.

Shouldn't matter, but if you connect more than one machine to the same step-down converter then you'll have to make sure that the total wattage doesn't exceed what the step-down can handle. Mainly you should only connect one machine to the step-down at a time. For Famicom and Disk System it probably doesn't matter because they draw very little power but don't think that you can just plug in a PS3 at the same time.

Being lazy may cost you your house or life, so I think it's best to manually only plug in what you use at the moment.