Famicom AC-Adapter and General Power F.A.Q.

Started by Xious, November 18, 2011, 06:54:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

UglyJoe

Quote from: Bob-Bob on May 17, 2014, 08:04:45 pm
Is it safe to just use a regular US power strip? Or do I have to use a Japanese power strip? Just making sure.

US power strip is fine.

Bob-Bob

May 18, 2014, 08:46:49 am #136 Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 08:54:48 am by Bob-Bob
Re: Exceeding the wattage.

This probably sounds like a really dumb question, when you calculate the wattage of an AC (or DC) adapter, do you multiply the Amps by the Output Voltage or the Input Voltage?

Also, the shelf in my room is reserved for consoles PS2 and below. Right now I have 5 systems plugged in (PS2, GCN, N64, SNES and NES) only 4 of which are plugged into a power surge which is currently off. The NES is plugged into the bottom outet. If/when I get a Famicom, Super Famicom, etc. I'll likely remove their US counterparts and put the aforementioned transformer into the bottom outlet with its own power surge as UglyJoe suggested. Is that OK?

P

Quote from: Bob-Bob on May 18, 2014, 08:46:49 am
Re: Exceeding the wattage.

This probably sounds like a really dumb question, when you calculate the wattage of an AC (or DC) adapter, do you multiply the Amps by the Output Voltage or the Input Voltage?

Output voltage (in other words the voltage that the console draws).

Quote from: Bob-Bob on May 18, 2014, 08:46:49 am
Also, the shelf in my room is reserved for consoles PS2 and below. Right now I have 5 systems plugged in (PS2, GCN, N64, SNES and NES) only 4 of which are plugged into a power surge which is currently off. The NES is plugged into the bottom outet. If/when I get a Famicom, Super Famicom, etc. I'll likely remove their US counterparts and put the aforementioned transformer into the bottom outlet with its own power surge as UglyJoe suggested. Is that OK?

So you mean all your US consoles will also receive 100 volt? I doubt it would harm them, but they might not work properly if you turn them on while plugged in to the step-down. As a layman I don't dare to say too much, and I can really only suggest to just plug in each console into it's proper step-down/outlet whenever you use them. I do that all the time. I understand if you want to be able to plug in a Famicom (8 watt) and FDS (4 watt) at the same time though, and that should be ok unless your step-down is like 10 watt (which I doubt even exists).

Bob-Bob

That isn't what I meant. I said one outlet would be reserved for US consoles (on their own power surge), and the other outlet would be for JP consoles (on a power surge plugged into the transformer). When one is on, the other goes off. I was wondering if that was an ok setup.

P

I see. Yeah well I guess that's OK. You still have to make sure you (or anyone else) doesn't exceed the limits for your step-down of course.

Bob-Bob

Of course not.

I was thinking a 1000 Watt like the one Xious mentioned in the OP might be a little too pricey and heavy, so I was wondering what you guys think would be a more reasonable wattage to get?

P

I use a 100 watt one but it's much more than necessary for Famicom. Get one with wattage that covers what you will most likely need considering what devices you are going to use with it.

tolben

May 26, 2014, 09:19:47 am #142 Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 08:42:35 am by tolben
Heia

I live in Norway, and i'm thinkning about getting an AV Famicom.

Can i use this power adapter? https://www.conceptentertainment.se/pub_images/original/MD_Cable_Power_MD1_Original_2542.jpg

Thank you.

Protoboy

Ok, so I think I'm gonna get this: http://www.amazon.com/VCT-VT-500J-Japanese-Transformer-Converts/dp/B000PC4JL4

My question is, I'm gonna have more than one Japanese device plugged in at one time. All power strips I've ever seen have ground plugs, and the 100v line on this model doesn't accommodate ground plugs. What can I do about this? I can't find any power strips that don't have ground plugs. Is using a surge protector power strip with a 3-prong-to-2-prong converter safe for my Famicom and Famicom Disk System? Maybe there's a converter with multiple 100v plugs on it? Any suggestions?

P

Since Famicom and Disk System doesn't have a ground line it should be safe with those (they are low voltage and protected by a plastic case). I have never seen a step-down converter with multiple 100v plugs on it, reason is because people would plug in more than it can handle.

bozo55

Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I just got a Brother P-touch and the AD-24 adapter looks suitable for Famicom/SuperFamicom/Model1Genesis. I think?  The plug fits fine but was kinda scared to check.  Can anyone confirm?  Here's a pic:

P

Is it centre negative? It's a bit hard to tell for sure on the picture. Otherwise it looks OK to me.

HokusaiXL

Meets all the requirements so you should be good to go.
I don't know how to fox. D:

WheeljackDude

August 11, 2014, 09:33:24 am #148 Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 12:40:08 pm by WheeljackDude
I just got the Family Computer Disk System from Windy Gaming, and I used the Casio AD-510 PSU on the FDS system, because it meets the following outputs -

*9V DC
*700mA
*Center Negative

And I also bought General Electric Advanced Surge Protector.

http://www.jascoproducts.com/products/pc/GE-Advanced-8-Outlet-Surge-Protector-with-Coax-Cable-Protection-p1352.htm#.U-jwP_ldWSo

dave4shmups

I don't have an original Nintendo AC adapter, and I really want my Famicom AV to get the right amount of juice.  I've read that the AC adapter for the Sega Genesis Model 1 will work, but I'm not 100% on that.