Famicom AC-Adapter and General Power F.A.Q.

Started by Xious, November 18, 2011, 06:54:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

eadmaster

hi, do you know if the Sega MD1 AC adapter 1602-05 is regulated?
If it is not regulated, having a different load it was designed may result in a different output voltage... (and maybe it could harm the console)

Also, do you know if the barrel plug fits directly a Japanese Super Famicom without adapters?

zmaster18

Barrel size is the same for Sega MD1, Famicom and Super Famicom.

eadmaster

February 03, 2015, 12:36:00 am #182 Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 05:37:54 pm by eadmaster
if you have one, it should be easy to test if it is regulated with a multimeter:
if you get 10V without any load then adapter is regulated as described here (i've used this method to test many AC adapters)

EDIT: reportedly it is unregulated, so maybe is better to get one of these 3rd party adapters which are regulated instead.

v0xy

Hi. Maybe this question was asked already but I'm a bit lazy on digging all this discussion for it.

My friend is selling original Famicom in full set (apart from the missing box and papers). It was killed by turning on with the original PAL NES AC. He said that smoke and burnt smell appeared on the console start. Later he tried to play it with the original AC+stepdown converter but the console is not responding. He don't want to repair it, sells it as-is. Before this accident this particular Famicom was working just fine with the stepdown converter box by original RF.
And now my main question: what has actually died inside the console and can I repair it?

Additional question: how much should I charge for that console? It's in mint condition, never opened up, one user (he bought it in Japan personally), controllers worked fine and white shell plastic is pure white (no aged yellowish look, maybe one of the new models). And besides, I live in a zone where this kind of consoles are rare (units rarely appear and usually they are about 250$ per one) and shipping from EU or US will cost too much.

Sorry for my crappy english, thanks for replying beforehand :)

Elrinth

Hi!

So I in all haste without thinking properly connected my PAL AC Adapter for the NES to a japanese AV Famicom and I think I fried it... Is there any way to repair it or is it basically 100% broken? Like can I just switch out some caps or something like that and it magically works again or am I screwed?

Pikkon

You might be able to repair.

I would change the 1000 uf capacitor,the fuse and the 7805.

Elrinth

March 27, 2015, 01:42:02 am #186 Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 11:20:47 am by Elrinth
Thanks alot for the answer!

Could you guide me to the exact components I might need so I don't purchase the wrong ones! :)

I search the 7805 on ebay and it comes up with: +5V 1.5A is this correct?

There are two smaller caps right next to the 1000 uF one, might those need replacement aswell?

So the 7085 I got from the ebay worked perfectly fine together with switching capacitor! Thanks alot for the help everyone!

empo

I'm not sure if I'm understanding ampere correctly. Can too much damage the console or the power supply? Someone mentioned anything above 1.2A being unnecessary.

What do you think about this, is it a bad idea? http://retrogamesupply.com/collections/nintendo/products/power-supply-all-in-one-for-nintendo-famicom-disk-system

lwizardl

Has anyone tested the famicom and FDS with the Universal power supplies by Retro-Bit ?

input says ac 110v-245v
output dc 9v 350ma

says works for nes snes gen1 and i have tested works for sms1

Pikkon

lwizardl

that was my thoughts also, but wasn't sure

Finfami

Hi, I have some interest in importing Famicom system to Finland. However, ones I found from eBay don't include power supply.

According to what I have read, Sega Master System PSU should work, so is this PSU correct type:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-MASTER-SYSTEM-1-Power-Supply-9V-AC-Adaptor-Pack-for-Console-/181259269244?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a33e4f47c

I have US to EU plug adapters.

Pikkon

As long as it's a switching psu it should work but those psu's are very cheaply made.

If you have a pal master system or megadrive model 1 psu then that would work great with a famicom.

P

100-240V, 50/60Hz, should work anywhere in the world.