Famicom AC-Adapter and General Power F.A.Q.

Started by Xious, November 18, 2011, 06:54:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kestrel

Anyone know what is mean the "18VA" that appear in the original Super Famicom adapters? I don't read Japanese. Is this important if you are going to buy a generic compatible adapter?

I am talking about this --> http://s49.photobucket.com/user/vlame/media/adapters/IMG_20120402_201507.jpg.html

P

I guess VA is voltampere which is the same thing as watt, the unit for power (power = voltage * current). What's important when buying a generic adapter is that the output (出力) voltage is DC and 10V, that output current is at least 850mA and that the plug is center negative. And also of course that the input (入力) current covers what you have in your wall outlets in your country.

kestrel

August 02, 2016, 07:48:53 am #212 Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 09:52:52 am by kestrel
Yes, I knew that the Super Famicom uses DC 10V 850mA and negative polarity, but what mean exactly this piece of information (18VA) respect the console or the adapter? I read that the Super Famicom use 17W and if the W is the same that VA then, why is it 17W and isn't it 18W? :question:

P

If it indeed is power, then it's the power capacity for the adapter. It can take up to 18W while the Super Famicom only uses up to 17W I guess.

Biz

Hi, first time posting here  ;D

So...I just came back from a trip to japan and... bought myself a Famicom! Yay! :star:

The only thing is I have not plugged it in yet because I'm a bit scared that it'll blow up :fire: :fire: :fire:...anyone feel like telling me if the AC adapter I got (see the attachment) will work fine in Canada?

If that one is no good,, care to tell me if this one would be better? (I read it was a pretty safe bet but just making sure!) http://r.ebay.com/59K6Ss

Thank you very much!

P

Canada seems to have 110-120 V so you are fine. Some people like to have a step-down to 100 V, but many other people don't care and plug in Japanese devices like they are.

Both those adapters should work. I don't know which one is safer.

SuperDerpBro

August 31, 2016, 04:09:10 pm #216 Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 08:10:21 pm by SuperDerpBro
Will an AV Famicom run on 8.5v or not? The OP says no some other posts say yes. I would like to make a multi AC adapter for my AV Famicom, SNES Mini, and Genesis 2 (VA4). Might add a NES as well. I have a Sony PS2 Slim PSU that is 8.5v 5.6a. Should i look for something else?

Something like this..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f__C_wDMmSw
or this..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg_G0ISLH6Q
(Without the voltage step down box since i plan to start with the "correct" voltage)

If anyone has done this before feel free chime in :)

Thanks.

HVC-Man

The lowest voltage the 7805 can handle safely is 7 volts, you'll be fine with 8.5v.

SuperDerpBro

Thanks. That's what i read but when i read the first page here it said minimum 9v. And other people talking about how it can pull 8.5 at max load .. thought id ask. :)

pasta-solo

Hi folks. Got a Super Famicom recently, and only have the original PSU so I'm scared to plug it in! I'mm living in Ireland, so power here is same as the UK. I have the following PSU at home from an older console, could someone tell me if its safe to use with the Super Famicom? I've read the thread, but I'm still a little wary!

Thanks everyone!

Pikkon

October 26, 2016, 06:10:41 am #220 Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 06:18:43 am by Pikkon
Looks fine to me,it has the right specs but that thing is huge.

If anything a model 1 mega drive will work just fine on it or you could grab a psu from here.
http://www.robwebb1.plus.com/snes/snes_hard.htm

pasta-solo

Quote from: Pikkon on October 26, 2016, 06:10:41 am
Looks fine to me,it has the right specs but that thing is huge.

Yeah its pretty big alright, but once it works, I'm happy! Thanks for your help!

HokusaiXL

Something interesting to note.  The Genesis 1 and Famicom adapters output the same voltage from the tip when plugged into 110-120 outlet of 14 volts DC even though their rating is 9 volts.  And that's pretty much been my experience with every linear power supply that's rated at 9 volts out.  So plugging in your regular famicom adapter into the wall should make little difference even on 110-120.
I don't know how to fox. D:

xwred5

Quote from: HokusaiXL on October 26, 2016, 10:23:46 pm
Something interesting to note.  The Genesis 1 and Famicom adapters output the same voltage from the tip when plugged into 110-120 outlet of 14 volts DC even though their rating is 9 volts.  And that's pretty much been my experience with every linear power supply that's rated at 9 volts out.  So plugging in your regular famicom adapter into the wall should make little difference even on 110-120.

I design offline power transformers for a living.

This drop normal, the transformer's output voltage (AC) will drop with load. This is called regulation. If it's a switch mode power supply [SMPS] (i.e. a phone charger. it is small and usually has a large input voltage range) the transformer should have a rather constant output voltage with load.

VA + Volt Amps, which *should* equal watts based on the phase of everything. Basically in a "standard" AC transformer, if you go past the VA, it will get hotter and the voltage will drop more. If you are under it, the voltage will be high.

If anyone wants, I can reverse engineer these old transformers -- my only concern is finding the right bobbin because I assume the laminations are metric and the tech is slowly slowly slowly dying.

ifrit05

I just bought a Twin Famicom without a power adapter to see if I can restore it.

I have a PSone power adapter but I don't want to hack up the end. My question is what is the barrel dimensions for the PSone adapter so I can try to find a convertor. (And where is the best place to get one).