What do you think about having a swear/censor system?

Started by tonev, January 23, 2012, 05:29:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

security16

WTF no longer stands for what the fuck its WELCOME TO FAMICOMWORLD!!!

We're all big girls and boys here so i'm pretty sure 99.8% of the members here have enough sense to realise when letting fucking loose with the fucking swear words is fucking appropriate and that other 0.2% of members are just fucking arseholes!!

This forum has become somewhat my happy place :D cause everyone is friendly and you can get away with a few f's and c's without being threatened with the banhammer

manuel

Yeah, we... ehm... misplaced the banhammer.
We're experimenting with very manly bancottonswabs now.

security16

Quote from: manuel on March 14, 2012, 06:51:01 pm
Yeah, we... ehm... misplaced the banhammer.
We're experimenting with very manly bancottonswabs now.

Hahaha I think my son may have stolen the banhammer and hidden it!!! I know he has some hammers!

michaelthegreat

One one side, I don't care. On the other, I want to find sites where my son can participate when he's 10 or so (I mean 13 or 18 or whatever the rules say of course). Of course, I did suggest we replace the hotlinker picture with hot sex, so maybe my son will never be allowed here ever.

I think it would be funny if it was like cheapassgamer where the words were replaced with something funny. Like shit could be replaced with a power block or an exploding bomb from smb usa. Or the words could be replaced with the Japanese equivalent--that would kinda be cool. I think if things like this are even suggested that they should be done to add to the culture of the community... :)

Nightstar699

Quote from: michaelthegreat on April 11, 2012, 12:41:40 am
I think it would be funny if it was like cheapassgamer where the words were replaced with something funny. Like shit could be replaced with a power block or an exploding bomb from smb usa. Or the words could be replaced with the Japanese equivalent--that would kinda be cool. I think if things like this are even suggested that they should be done to add to the culture of the community... :)

That reminds me of the Somethingawful forums, they replace the word "fuck" with "gently caress". I got a kick out of it.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

nintendodork

Quote from: michaelthegreat on April 11, 2012, 12:41:40 am
I want to find sites where my son can participate when he's 10 or so [...] maybe my son will never be allowed here ever.
The internet has really uncensored a kid's perspective on the world. I started using this forum when I was 13 (and this wasn't my first. I joined Gamewinners.com forums when I was like eight).  I saw all of the bad language (although this forum is generally pretty clean, another reason why I don't think we need to implement a censor system), I knew what it meant, and I also knew that just because I read something on the internet didn't mean it was okay for me to say in real life. Not all kids understand this, but I think if he's the kind of kid who would go to a site like this, he too would understand. ;)

And another thing about kids using the internet at a young age, I've been using the computer since before I could read, and I think I turned out pretty alright. :P
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

Parodius Duh

when someone registers do they have that option for whether they are 18+ or below 18? Wont the site auto-block any swears if they register below 18? (or whatever the minimum age is)

UglyJoe

We don't ask if you're under 18.

I wouldn't be opposed to creating a word filter that you'd have to opt-in to.

crade

Yeah I was wondering why theres no fuckin word filter on this site.  Kids play fuckin video games too ya know, what if they came here just to try to get help getting their sesame street game running and saw all this shit and got all traumatized?  Or worse, what if the IT at work does their job!?

Edit: don't forget to censor all those hacker boxes I just posted up too!
GRRR!

Phosphora

I have no problem with censorship of swearing or nudity on a forum, also don't care if it isn't censored.
I joined this forum because I was pleasantly surprised by all the vintage pirate cart collections and the openness to discuss them here.
I have to admit that I thought my unlicensed adult game thread would get deleted the second I saw that people were posting 8-bit adult famicom box scans. LOL

I guess as long as the discussion is truly relevant to the intent of discussing and documenting the Famicom and it's games, I say "No harm, No foul."

tonev

So maybe there should be a filtering system but with the option to turn it on and off...
I am back everyone :)

petik1

I was thinking about it. Having it off by default, and having the ability to turn it on. Everyone wins!

PatMan33

Sorry I'm late.

Fuck no!

Adding a censoring parameter to the website solves a "problem" that is not necessarily causing huge problems with this site. Judging by the response, it seems as if adding a censor would leave us with more problems than we had to begin with.

theamity9

Swearing from what I can see is not a problem here at all, plus I can't imagine any younglings will be into retro games. This will be a solution to a non-existing problem. If it does happen, I would be angry if it was mandatory.

Down with censorship!

rainulous

Quote from: theamity9 on July 07, 2012, 09:19:23 am
Swearing from what I can see is not a problem here at all, plus I can't imagine any younglings will be into retro games. This will be a solution to a non-existing problem. If it does happen, I would be angry if it was mandatory.

Down with censorship!

Can't imagine younger people being into retro games?
Wow I am weird.