Games with issues on RGB-modded systems

Started by Ghegs, February 11, 2015, 10:56:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghegs

I could've sworn there was a thread about games that have problems when played on an RGB-modded system. Did I imagine the whole thing or am I just unable to find it?

L___E___T

I'd be very interested in seeing such a list if one exists.  Never had any issues so far - did you have any particular system in mind or is it just Famicom?
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Ghegs

If such a list doesn't exist, we should indeed make one.

Speaking of just Famicom/NES here. I'm not sure if other systems even have the problem, at least not ones that can output RGB natively. Since the system was never designed to do RGB, some games use tricks to achieve visual effects that unfortunately makes the game unplayable in RGB. I'm not talking about mere palette issues where something is off-color, I mean the game can't be played because you can't see what's happening, or at least there are severe gameplay issues. Quoting from another forum:

QuoteThis has to do with how the RGB PPU handles color emphasis bits. On an RGB PPU they force the R/G/B values to full brightness, where on a composite PPU they add in a weaker R/G/B color and darken the luminance value of some colors.

These games were also listed, but the severity of the problem varies:

QuotePaperboy 1/2
Just Breed
Magician
Totally Rad
Airwolf
Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy
Super Spy Hunter
Immortal

Immortal displays in complete black when played in RGB. In Super Spy Hunter the problem is apparently restricted to the pause screen, so it's not that big a deal.

One that I didn't see mentioned anywhere is Cosmic Epsilon, which I just got yesterday. Starts fine, looks great, the stage plays as it should...then the boss fight starts and everything is white, except for the status bar at the bottom. I tried this out in emulator as well and once the boss is killed the colors become RGB-friendly again. So, Cosmic Epsilon can't really be played in RGB-modded systems.

muckyfingers

I think you should be specific in the RGB mod you are speaking of. Since there is now the outdated Playchoice PPU RGB mod and the new NESRGB mod that utilizes the standard Famicom/NES composite PPU palettes. There shouldn't be any issues with the NESRGB and any game displaying properly.

NESRGB:

http://etim.net.au/nesrgb/

Ghegs

Naturally it would be about the Playchoice PPU mod. I imagine many people still have those in use.

L___E___T

Ah good news - I skipped the PC10 PPU and went for the VileTim kit as I didn't like the PC10 palette as much.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

SuperMew98

February 13, 2015, 12:39:31 pm #6 Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 12:45:36 pm by SuperMew98
I bought my AV modded Famicom recently (it hasn't arrived yet). I hope mine will have the VileTim mod, and not the PlayChoice-10 mod.

2A03

Quote from: Ghegs on February 12, 2015, 08:25:22 am
Naturally it would be about the Playchoice PPU mod. I imagine many people still have those in use.

I'd say that more people have the NESRGB at this point, especially considering the NESRGB has made the old RGB PPU method completely obsolete and RGB PPUs are still more expensive (!) than an NESRGB kit.

Quote from: SuperMew98 on February 13, 2015, 12:39:31 pm
I bought my AV modded Famicom recently (it hasn't arrived yet). I hope mine won't have the PlayChoice-10 mod.

I don't think there's any cause for concern considering it would be ridiculous to add an RGB PPU and only mod the console for composite video.

Ghegs

Quote from: 2A03 on February 13, 2015, 12:46:52 pm
Quote from: Ghegs on February 12, 2015, 08:25:22 am
I imagine many people still have those in use.

I'd say that more people have the NESRGB at this point

These are not mutually exclusive statements. People won't just destroy their Playchoice PPU-modded systems even if they did decide to replace it with a console using the new mod. I even prefer the PC10 PPU palette in some games, so there's very few reasons for me to replace mine.

2A03

Quote from: Ghegs on February 13, 2015, 10:40:20 pm
I even prefer the PC10 PPU palette in some games, so there's very few reasons for me to replace mine.

You do know the NESRGB has the RGB PPU palette available right? Also the picture quality is far better (no jailbars whatsoever), you don't need to add an additional circuit for composite and S-video outputs, and there aren't any incompatible games which is an issue with the RGB PPU. I've done both types of mods and I'd take the NESRGB any day of the week.