More weird stuff going on in my house

Started by petik1, March 10, 2012, 09:53:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

petik1

It never ends! This time, it has to do with some computer speakers in my bedroom. They're turned on, but not plugged into any output source. Occasionally, I'll hear what sounds like someone reading numbers slowly with a sort of apathetic, mechanical tone (think Charlie Brown adults talking). The sound is pretty distorted, and turning up the volume doesn't affect the volume of the sound. I have to press my ear against a speaker, but a while ago it was so loud, when I left the speakers on it would wake me up at night! So, what's going on  ???

UglyJoe

Number stations!  Awesome!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_station

No idea why you'd be tuning them in, though.

petik1

Probably not. I'm listening to it right now, and it sounds more like someone's using a walkie-talkie. It's only one voice Airport, maybe?

Also, plugging it into something amplifies the sound. I guess it uses it as a larger antenna.

Jamtex

Just use a toroid ferrite bead on the speaker cable and the strange RF interfernce will go away. Old Playstation controllers have these on the cables

petik1

I'm not bothered by it, I'm rather intrigued.

FamicomRetroGamer

My 2.1 SS sometimes interferes with the electricity and then makes a weird noise of like "beep" "itch" or something.

I really hate it when it makes this noise, 'cos it's not a good sign.

manuel

Quote from: UglyJoe on March 10, 2012, 10:21:25 am
Number stations!  Awesome!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_station

No idea why you'd be tuning them in, though.

Wow, I never knew something like that existed... Very mysterious...  :o

tonev

On my old 2.1 pc speakers when i turn the volume up i can hear some strange radio stantions in a strange to me language  ;D
I am back everyone :)

Drakon

Weird things in my house....a thunderbolt didn't fry my pc because of the surge protector but the amp was plugged into the wall.  The amp is from the 70s so the amp survived but my soundcard that was hooked into the amp got killed from the electricity....go figure

The other thing was me leaving my hot glue gun plugged in overnight and it burst into flames the next morning and put itself out in a matter of seconds.

L___E___T

My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

MWK

Luke, that was exactly what I was thinking about - Petik1, if it's not a ghost of some sort, I believe you're receiving some kind of a secret, coded, military message from late 50's... or perhaps even not military, but an extraterrestrial one :blinky: :blinky: :blinky:

Drakon

Maybe you got yourself into too much of the coolaid  :crazy:

manuel

I didn't listen to the radio very much, so I never encountered such a station.
Would have been awesome when I was young.  ;D

manuel

Why scared?
I'm 32. You?
(And I have really never heard of numbers stations...)