April 29, 2024, 06:34:53 am

Fighting games....Round 1

Started by Drakon, March 13, 2012, 03:42:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakon

continued from the introductions thread:

Quote from: Nightstar699 on March 13, 2012, 03:38:19 pm
Heh, if you think SF4 has too many moves, please, never play Tekken. And maybe we should make a general fighting game discussion thread so we don't have to clog up the introduction forum...

Yes...I hate tekken.  Something about pressing a button and having the move happen 3-5 seconds later drives me nuts.  The only fighting game with delay that doesn't bug me so much is soul calibur

Nightstar699

Awww, you don't think it's fun to juggle the opponent the entire round? :c

Not too big on Tekken myself,  even though I've played in Tekken 5 tournaments before.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

Drakon

I like juggling in stuff where it's actually super difficult to juggle like third strike or mvc2.

Nightstar699

MvC2 juggles aren't too difficult, well, some of them anyway. I've always kinda sucked at MvC2, the only infinite combo I learned and mastered was Iron Man's basic infinite, which from what I hear, is the easiest one to learn. Back in the arcades I would use Iron Man/Cable/Sentinel. (Not always in that order) Everyone would say that was a cheap team.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

Drakon

I never figured out mvc2 I was too busy playing mvc1  ;D

Nightstar699

Oh yes, MvC1 is the true crossover game of champions. Still remains my favorite to this day, Venom is so sick in that.

L___E___T

"know my name and fortune"  was heard just a few times in MVC1, but I agree it's the best crossover.  
I was hoping SFxTekken would be the one to beat it.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Drakon

Quote from: Nightstar699 on March 13, 2012, 03:56:18 pm
Oh yes, MvC1 is the true crossover game of champions. Still remains my favorite to this day, Venom is so sick in that.

Yeah venom indeed rules.  Most characters in it are quite fun.  I still think the amazing 2d artwork is what makes it stand out...it looks like a comic book come alive.

Quote from: L___E___T on March 14, 2012, 03:20:52 am
"know my name and fortune"  was heard just a few times in MVC1, but I agree it's the best crossover. 

It's indeed sad that MVC1 doesn't get so much love....although I did manage to pickup a phoenixed mvc 1 cps2 b board for 110$...due to this lack of popularity  8)

one of the best purchases ever.

Nightstar699

Quote from: L___E___T on March 14, 2012, 03:20:52 am
"know my name and fortune"  was heard just a few times in MVC1, but I agree it's the best crossover.  

I believe you're thinking of, "know my name and fear it, I am Onslaught."  ;D

SFxTekken disappointed me greatly... and I didn't even buy it! It just isn't fair.... all of the original World Warriors were included... except for Honda. Except for the one who happens to be my favorite character in anything. And my 2nd favorite character? T. Hawk? Obviously they wouldn't put him in, no one gives a fuck about T. Hawk. It's the sad truth.

So yeah, I skipped out on SFxT for the same reason I skipped out on UMvC3. The roster makes it clear that the game just isn't for me. Oh well.

L___E___T

:D

I skipped SFxT too, I didn't find it fun but I do find it interesting.  
I was surprised that it doesn't have that fun factor bug that SF4 did/does that kept me up playing till 4am when it first came out.  
Hardly anyone seems to be getting into this one.

Viper and Shin care about Hawk you know :)
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Nightstar699

Quote from: L___E___T on March 15, 2012, 11:55:57 am
:D

I skipped SFxT too, I didn't find it fun but I do find it interesting.  
I was surprised that it doesn't have that fun factor bug that SF4 did/does that kept me up playing till 4am when it first came out.  
Hardly anyone seems to be getting into this one.

Viper and Shin care about Hawk you know :)

Someday, when SFxT will be dirt cheap used, I'll buy a copy for my collection, and hey, maybe I'll find that I missed out. Probably not, though. No Honda is just inexcusable to me.
SF4 is a great game, while nowhere near as good as SF2 or the Alpha series, I have a lot of fun with it, and it introduced some of the most unique characters to ever appear in a fighting game.

L___E___T, let me ask you something, how do you feel about the Street Fighter III series? I'm not too big on it for a couple reasons... first of all, I am horrible at parrying, and that's just such a big part of the gameplay, and moreso, I just feel so lost regarding the character selection... while I like Hugo and Alex, they just make me miss the SF2 cast when I play it. But I respect the fact that they were going for something different.

And yeah, I know there are some great Hawk players. A few SSF4 examples would be KoujiKOG, Hibisan, sushiya, GoldenToy, ink7, and Yokuboo. Oh, and me of course.  :P

L___E___T

I'm better than all of those ;)
I stoppped playing Hawk though after I realised he's basically just gimmicks.

I like 3rd Strike, I spent about a year modding it - but the cast is not consistent.  I stopped playing because of the 3S community, a bunch of asshats.
I got excited whern they announced the remix, but they got a poor US developer onboard and they managed to change very little but ruin it all the same.
Had they added characters and balanced, I would've gone back in I think.  For me, SF2>SF4>SF0>SF3>SFEX and then all the crossovers after that.

Unfortunately for Capcom, they listened to the elitist 3S community and kept it as it was (apart from throwing in a few bugs)!
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Nightstar699

Quote from: L___E___T on March 15, 2012, 01:13:57 pm
I'm better than all of those ;)
I stoppped playing Hawk though after I realised he's basically just gimmicks.

I like 3rd Strike, I spent about a year modding it - but the cast is not consistent.  I stopped playing because of the 3S community, a bunch of asshats.
I got excited whern they announced the remix, but they got a poor US developer onboard and they managed to change very little but ruin it all the same.
Had they added characters and balanced, I would've gone back in I think.  For me, SF2>SF4>SF0>SF3>SFEX and then all the crossovers after that.

Unfortunately for Capcom, they listened to the elitist 3S community and kept it as it was (apart from throwing in a few bugs)!

Trust me man, Hawk is far from a gimmick character. When used smartly, his normals make for great poking tools, as well as for zoning his opponent. High-level T. Hawk play requires much patience regarding which normals to use in what situation, or when to go for a Mexican Typhoon. Yes, on VERY low level gameplay, gimmicky mashing T. Hawk can win, but I've beaten some tournament players with Hawk, and that type of gameplay doesn't work, or they'll just bait out them throws all day. Yes, he does have a few gimmicks... but then again, which character doesn't? ;D

I've noticed a lot of elitism in general among the fighting game community, 3rd Strike in particular. ._. I would love to see much of the Third Strike cast brought back for the next Street Fighter game.

L___E___T

I can't resist spinning the stick, it's too fun :)
I main Cody and Guy now though, not as good with either as I ever was with Hawk though.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

zoast

is anybody here a fan of snk fighters?  I've played some samurai showdown and a lot of Motw, but last blade 2 and kof 98 I guess are the most popular and sometimes I wish I knew how to play them at some sort of basic level.

to reply to posts from the other thread
nightstar, I have play a decent bit of super turbo, just not a ton like hyper.   I also like playing boxer a lot in hyper, who is really buff in ST : )  But I usually mess around with fei, I like his style.  One problem is my biggest fighter buddy doesn't like it, and I can sympathize with his complaints on it, him basically subscribing to this view.  

drakon
I'm not going to argue your points against HF, I just like both it and CE...  

I grew up with sf too, playing it in the arcades every chance I could, at home, on family vacation, wherever.  I never came across one of these CE hacks.  Then I finally got hyper fighting for SNES, and thinking SF at home was the best thing since sliced bread and played the ever living crap out of it.  So I guess I have nostalgia for the version.

I was a big latecomer and never got serious or good at 3S but I like it solely for having the parry mechanic (well, and some good animation and music).  Anything that allows you a frame advantage or total negation of an offensive that you can see coming is cool in my mind.

The only time I played 4 was on an xbox 360 standard controller, which i hate, so even though it felt like it handled bad, I know that I didn't have a good basis for making an opinion on the matter.  But I must say I really dislike the character models, is it just because they aren't 3d?  They seem so puffy.
Bah weep gragnah weep nini bong!