SNES to SF adapter that supports special chip games?

Started by RGB_Gamer, March 27, 2012, 09:05:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RGB_Gamer

I want to get a Super Famicom system, but still be able to play SNES games on it with an adapter. Does there exist an adapter that lets you play special chip (FX, C3, C4, etc) games on it?

thank you

untinip

I don't know about a SNES to SFC adapter, but the other way around is a lot easier; you just have to cut away two plastic tabs:
http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/nintendo/snes-tabs.htm

I've used the above mentioned mod to make my american SNES jr. (with the RGB-mod, of course) accept Super Famicom games. It works great and plays both american and japanese games without any converter, with the region-chip fully working.

michaelthegreat

That's what I do too. I think the last time I did it that I ended up ripping a little more plastic than I meant to, but really nobody's looking in the cartridge slot...

RGB_Gamer

well does anyone know of a cartridge adapter to play snes special chip games on an sfc?

MarioMania

Didn't they just answer..

There's no SNES to SFC with the extra chip to play CX4 Game or Super FX

michaelthegreat

I don't think we said that MarioMania. Actually some of the later adapters like the latest version of the Universal Adapter and the Fire FX were compatible with Super FX. But most of them were European for playing American games so you may have some issues just because of that. The only place I know where you can get one is:

http://www.robwebb1.plus.com/snes/snes_hard.htm

I've bought stuff from him before and it went well, but it's been years.

The good news is that the JP cartridge shape is the same as the EU. Also the JP and US cartridges share the same lockout chip, so that's also good. But these adapters are meant to use the lockout chip from one cartridge and the game from another. So you may need an extra US cartridge for the lockout chip. Some advanced chips or possible copy protections may still have issues. Since the lockout chip stuff isn't necessary in your situation, it could be possible to use a Universal Adapter and just put two of the same game in it to get problem games to work (complete speculation).

If you do get one of these, I'd love to hear how it goes.

Lum

No. You're both right. Adapters dedicated to US-JP conversion are much rarer than commonly believed. Despite the exact 1:1 pinout and lockout not being an issue.

Most were intended for Europe. Often lacking those enhancement pins. The reason that type isn't popular outside Europe, is because many PAL games block 60hz. Defeating lockout alone won't get certain titles running on NTSC systems.
*bzzzt*

Cheetahmen

Just wondering, are the European adapters intented to run US or JP carts? I would assume the former as they use a different cart shape, but the latter doesn't work on EU systems either. :-\
Life is too short to be little.
Twitter | DeviantArt | Youtube | Twitch

fredJ

They can be used for both, which makes sense if you consider that the games only have different shape.
However, people often tell me they can't play DKC with their EU adapter, so it is better to buy a loose SFC console or have their SNES console modified.
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com

Parodius Duh

April 09, 2012, 12:05:10 pm #9 Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 12:10:47 pm by Parodius Duh
Euro adapters work fine on a US SNES or Japanese SFC (If the adapter shape will fit in the slot)

Most adapters do not play special chip games. Donkey Kong Country 1-3 will not work with any adapter. Terranigma will only work with a specific model of action replay, daze before christmas wont work, etc....

Really, just get a SNES and pull the tabs out. The SNES Jr. looks exactly like the SFC jr.  but it has purple buttons. Buy some SFC controllers, and boom you basically have a SFC. Adapters and crap are nothing but a pain in the balls. If you really want the ultimate SFC/SNES gaming experience, just get a SNES and plier those tabs out of it.

I tried going the adapter route and its nothing but bullshit usually, fair warning, if you truly want to go this route you are going to be pissed off quite often.

RGB_Gamer

i like the look of an SFC, and my game copiers fit better. i will never get a SNES Jr since it doesn't output RGB.

what is a good euro to japanese adapter tjat supports special chip games?

Parodius Duh

Quote from: RGB_Gamer on April 09, 2012, 12:12:58 pm
i like the look of an SFC, and my game copiers fit better. i will never get a SNES Jr since it doesn't output RGB.

Dude, there is NOT one, like a few of us have stated. The most compatible I know of is the Action Replay Mark III, but it has to be a specific later model with a certain operating system in order to get some games, like Terranigma, to work properly. Donkey Kong Country titles, Star Fox, Daze Before Xmas, etc. Do NOT work with ANY adapter out there.

I take it your in Europe? hence the RGB......In the US RGB is not popular at all.  so when you refer to SNES, you mean PAL region SNES?

untinip

Quote from: RGB_Gamer on April 09, 2012, 12:12:58 pm

Adding RGB-output to a SNES jr. is easy:
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:snes2rgb

I've performed this mod and it works great! The picture quality from my modded SNES jr. is even better than my unmodded (RGB-outputting) European SNES, in my opinion.

NintendoKing

People always use SNES Game Genie as a converter, and I have heard of people cutting the 2 tabs off a SFX board and bracketing it onto the GG then wiring it up to allow the SFX.

NOT easy but it could be fun for a individual that likes doing Moe's.

famiac

Solution: SuperCIC mod a super famicom. You get universal compatibility. All you have to do is cut the casea little and put a new cart slot cover and voila! A universal super famicom console.