Famicom Part Removal

Started by kiwidaveinjapan, April 26, 2012, 10:24:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwidaveinjapan

Looking at doing an AV mod on my famicom, but thinking of removing a couple of components from the RF modulator, so I can mount RCA sockets at the back of the unit as opposed to the sides....question is, would removing a couple of switches / old RF socket from my board make the famicom stop functioning?
???

jpx72

Well if you know what you are doing then no :)
Actually for AV mod you need only the power part (7805 voltage regulator) from this part of your famicom, so everything else can be removed. It will not have any effect on the rest of the Famicom.

kiwidaveinjapan

EXCELLENT!  ;D Thanks a lot! :bub: I was just more than a little nervous about ruining the unit indefinitely.  :-[

famifan

i desoldered all components from RF-unit and placed most fitable passive cooler for 7805 info famicom plastic shell, and made AV-mod

jpx72

Quote from: 80sFREAK on April 27, 2012, 04:21:41 am
And no, you can not leave 7805 alone. This little baby needs two ceramic capacitors as close as possible and two el capacitors ;D

That's questionable... It will work without it, those are only because of the interference.

2A03

Quote from: jpx72 on April 27, 2012, 04:38:27 am
Quote from: 80sFREAK on April 27, 2012, 04:21:41 am
And no, you can not leave 7805 alone. This little baby needs two ceramic capacitors as close as possible and two el capacitors ;D

That's questionable... It will work without it, those are only because of the interference.

It needs the caps for power filtering, I would definitely at least stick a 1000 uF or 2200 uF cap on the 5V line of the 7805 if you're planning to remove the RF modulator. The 7805 also needs an adequate heat sink; I definitely wouldn't stick a small one on it as the 7805 will go into thermal overload after a few minutes and shut down the system.

Da Bear

You can remove a lot from the RF board but why remove more then you need to? Remove everything on the videotrace and replace components with ditos for the AV-mod and use the RF connector as video and remove one switch and install an audio connector there instead. Easy peasy! :D

geistvonpa

Sorry for bringing up an old thread.

What I've done so far.
I searched the forums for a diagram of component parts that can be removed from the RF Modular side but
1. There are a lot of A/V mod threads.
2. I didn't find a diagram.

I did a simple trace (by looking as the PCB) from the Composite jack and removed parts that may pose a short or cause the RCA jacks not to fit.

Asking for help:
I would like a complete list as to what is safe to remove.
Keeping in mind that I would like to keep the AC components intact, since I've also traced the AC power through a 1000uf cap and a few other components.

Am I wrong in assuming that everything within the shielding can be removed?

Any Help is appreciated.

famifan

Why wrong? you're absolutely correct. The only remaining part would be 7805 voltage regulator surrounded with few capacitors. Don't forget about the heatsink for 7805 as for which the shielding was used earlier  :)

geistvonpa

Quote from: famifan on June 03, 2017, 09:49:26 am
Why wrong? you're absolutely correct. The only remaining part would be 7805 voltage regulator surrounded with few capacitors. Don't forget about the heatsink for 7805 as for which the shielding was used earlier  :)

Awesome. I just wanted to double check as some of the answers on this thread were a bit confusing. Saying only the regulator was needed, then the regulator and 1000uF cap.

I didn't remove a lot of the RF component, only the ones that were in the way of the RCA jacks to be installed.
I'm currently awaiting some other components to complete this A/V mod and then I will be writing up a Tutorial.

famifan

Looks great!

Just one question. Did you disable the RF modulator? So it won't pollute the air with radiowaves. I'm quite sure that disabling 5V will be enough. You could probably just cut the traces which go under the shielding.

geistvonpa

June 04, 2017, 06:28:40 pm #11 Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 06:35:56 pm by geistvonpa
Quote from: famifan on June 04, 2017, 02:02:01 am
Looks great!

Just one question. Did you disable the RF modulator? So it won't pollute the air with radiowaves. I'm quite sure that disabling 5V will be enough. You could probably just cut the traces which go under the shielding.

Not yet. Thanks for the tip.
I haven't even tested anything on this mod yet do to missing 2 components needed from this tutorial http://jpx72web.blogspot.sk/2016/11/famicom-av-mod-new.html

geistvonpa

For anyone still interested in doing this type of mod here is a link to my Famicom tutorials
http://geistpa.blogspot.com/p/famicom.html