About the making home-brew repros for yourself

Started by famifan, May 08, 2012, 02:36:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jpx72

>quote the eprom selling stuff<
Thanks guys, so MaarioS - you are buying them from Poland? I have never seen them on auction here in Slovakia, and local shops sell 040s for cca 12eur/piece!!! I plan on buying a bigger lot of 040s or 080s in the near future, maybe I'll send you a PM later...
And 80's - great to know, when I'll be unsuccesfull in Poland, I'll definitely PM you!

VegaVegas

Yes, I buy them in Poland. If you mean 080s EPROMs, the price 12EUR for each doesn't really surprise me. They're very hard to find, let alone for a reasonable price. On-line Polish shop sells them for like 8€-10€ or more and the prices of shipping are insane for good measure. Actually, I found 1 shop (physical) selling them for like 5€ but if you buy more, the price is approx. 4€ per IC. Unfortunately, I bought one and that one wasn't erased.... but after all it worked after erasing and programming it. If you're also talking about 040s EPROMs, I also saw them but the price was pretty much the same, maybe a little bit lower, maybe 3€ each.

NOTE: that happened 1-2 years ago, they may have raised the prices

famifan

:pacman: ordered 20pcs 27c020 on ebay for 1.7$ each shipped, hope they will work fine

famifan

expanded the list, thanks for you advices!

welcome if have anything to add! more games - more fun!

bump :fire:

FamicomFreak

Hmmm this is very interesting. I would love to learn the basics on creating repros...any advice?
Retro Gaming Life  www.retrogaminglife.com

famifan

Quote from: FamicomFreak on May 19, 2012, 03:01:25 pm
Hmmm this is very interesting. I would love to learn the basics on creating repros...any advice?

no problem...
nice tutorial http://callanbrown.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=62
it's about nes, but the process making famicom's repro is quite the same.

good cart database where you can find suitable donor http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/

FamicomFreak

Oh wow so much info but I'm definitely going to try this out! I do need to develop my hobby and reach new heights! Thank you so much! Now to hunt for an Eprom programmer and Eprom eraser ^_^
Retro Gaming Life  www.retrogaminglife.com

famiac

Drakon

Cutters?  I bought a radioshack desoldering iron and mastered the darn thing.  Now I can cleanly remove maskrom chips.  Also I bought some 70-80$ eprom programmer but it didn't work with certain eproms.  Yet my willem that's the cheapest thing money can buy works with everything, it's just not user friendly in the slightest.

famifan

if you can into 8bit AVR and have a breadboard and PC with serial port, a bunch of wires and some PSUs, you can build very cheap and handy eprom burner for 27Cxx (which can burn upto 27c080).

only two ICs are necessary - atmega16/atmega32 + max232n.

jpx72

I used to erase eproms with sun tan lamp, it worked nicely, but the chips were quite hot ! :crazy: ... but better than spend money on a UV eraser when you have this lamp at home already.

Drakon

Quote from: 80sFREAK on May 19, 2012, 10:40:44 pm
Quotedesoldering iron
I had one while ago - quite handy to use, but time is cruel :-[

cruel in what sense?  It got too old?  ???

jpx72

If anyone interested, I can desolder chips from cartridges for you, let's say $1 a rom piece :D
...but I cover the PCB with oil to save the rest of the contacts from the residual solder, so it will be oily and filthy, and I don't have the nerves to clean it :D at least not completely, so don't expect me to do it.
...and I leave the cart opening to you too :P
...AND I won't desolder the rom from a nice game, must be some shitty sport or something.... you know...

VegaVegas

Quote from: jpx72 on May 21, 2012, 03:07:51 am
...AND I won't desolder the rom from a nice game, must be some shitty sport or something.... you know...

LOL, what's the matter?? What's the deal with that?? So will you desolder Castlevania for example?? :P No sh*t, this is just a pile of crap....

Drakon

jesus 1$ is a cheap price.  Desoldering iron heads need fairly frequent replacement and they're not exactly cheap.