Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2014, 05:37:41 AM
Home Famicom World Search Calendar Login Register

+  Famicom World
|-+  Famicom World
| |-+  Updates and Suggestions (Moderators: Jedi QuestMaster, manuel, FamicomFreak, L___E___T)
| | |-+  User locations
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: User locations  (Read 4081 times)
Cheetahmen
Twin Famicom
England England

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 07:51:11 PM »

I would use these flags: http://famfamfam.com/lab/icons/flags/ .  I don't feel like MS-Painting 247 flags.
One thing I've noticed with those flags is that rather than have the standard UK flag, it has the flags for the seperate countries. I don't have a problem with that myself though. Also, the Northern Ireland flag seems to be missing. Huh

UglyJoe
Administrator
FamicomBox
United States United States

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 11:10:32 PM »

There is a UK flag in the set (gb.png).

What flag would Northern Ireland have?  Apparently there are Northern Ireland flag issues?  According to that article, the Union Jack would be the official flag, which is already in the set.

Honest question: would it be offensive to have just a UK option, or should the four countries be listed as their own option (instead of or in addition to a UK option)?
jpx72
Sharp C1
Slovakia Slovakia

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 04:15:24 AM »

No bullshit guys, just make your own flags in MS Paint, the effect would be the same Tongue

We'll be lucky if UglyJoe manages to find an easy way to display them, don't bother him with creating own ones. Sure, they can be unique, but to draw 247 of them? Sure, we can do continent flags only Grin (I want to be Antarctica!)

fredJ
Sharp C1
Sweden Sweden

Let's dance

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 07:23:29 AM »

It's curious how sensitive the Internet population is towards that sort of thing.  Maybe would could replace the Venus/Mars symbols with some girl/boy Famicom sprites? Peach and Mario?  Zelda and Link?  Roll and Rock?

Yes, that would be very cool.  Cheesy Better than pink Venus.

There is a UK flag in the set (gb.png).

What flag would Northern Ireland have?  Apparently there are Northern Ireland flag issues?  According to that article, the Union Jack would be the official flag, which is already in the set.

Honest question: would it be offensive to have just a UK option, or should the four countries be listed as their own option (instead of or in addition to a UK option)?

I would have both. I would have a UK flag and flags for the four countries too.
I suppose you will place a combobox ("dropdown") next to the "Location" field, with a list of countries?
So people can still enter their location free text, and have a flag if they want to.

Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com
80sFREAK
Sharp C1
Japan Japan

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2012, 08:49:32 AM »

uTorrent should have complete(not 100% sure) set of flags and aMule/eMule should do as well.

I do not have paypal, facebook, twitter accounts. Don't ask me why.
Parodius Duh
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2012, 11:29:07 AM »

Me too.

And I disagree with the Venus symbol being pink, I find that insulting.
I think they should have the same color... Make both pink.

For real?

at least here in the US (and Britain too I think, maybe Australia...eh Im gonna say all English territories), light blue represents male babies and pink represents female babies. Been like that forever....nothing insulting about it and whenever the signs are portrayed in American media, this is what color they turn up as.
UglyJoe
Administrator
FamicomBox

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2012, 11:39:55 AM »

Been like that forever....

Only since the 1940's, actually.  Before then it was the other way around.
famiac
Twin Famicom

Wario land!

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2012, 03:01:39 PM »

Yep. ^ this is true. Also there shouldnt be anything sexist about it. Just because you're associating a color with a gender's symbol doesn't mean you think more or less of the gender itself. Men and women are different and i don't see why the color of the symbols should bother anyone...

member #844 and 565
UglyJoe
Administrator
FamicomBox

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2012, 03:12:23 PM »

Country flags have been implemented.  You can pick your country in your profile and it will appear next to your posts.  The field is optional.  I'm open to suggestions for changing the way it gets displayed.

I'll work on the gender sprites next.

Just because you're associating a color with a gender's symbol doesn't mean you think more or less of the gender itself. Men and women are different and i don't see why the color of the symbols should bother anyone...

But there is a stigma attached to the color pink.  Ever notice how pink is overtly girly and yet blue is not overtly manly?
petik1
Sharp C1
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

WILL MOD FOR FOOD

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2012, 03:18:52 PM »

Allow me to be the first one to abuse the new feature.

Edit: Fun fact, there are no permanent residents in Vatican City, except for the Pope.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 03:27:18 PM by petik1 » Logged

Fire! http://www.techsquid.blogspot.com/ MY BLOG OF AWESOME GAMING ADVENTURES  Fire!

http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=5450.0 <-- My WTB/WTS thread.
UglyJoe
Administrator
FamicomBox

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2012, 05:46:08 PM »

Ended up using Rock and Roll for the gender icons, since Roll is like the only female FC character that isn't pink Tongue
famifan
Twin Famicom
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2012, 08:16:23 PM »

thanks for awesome locations !
fredJ
Sharp C1
Sweden Sweden

Let's dance

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2012, 06:07:51 AM »

"I'm a boy I'm a boy..."
Nice sprites, and country flags.
I decided to go with Switzerland for once. Not a big difference anways. Better chocolate.

Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com
MasterDisk
Sharp C1
Switzerland Switzerland

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2012, 06:49:51 AM »

"I'm a boy I'm a boy..."
Nice sprites, and country flags.
I decided to go with Switzerland for once. Not a big difference anways. Better chocolate.

and better cheese Grin
Frank_fjs
AV Famicom
Australia Australia

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2012, 11:51:55 AM »

This is great, thanks for implementing the country flags!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: