User locations

Started by Frank_fjs, May 08, 2012, 07:00:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

UglyJoe

There is a UK flag in the set (gb.png).

What flag would Northern Ireland have?  Apparently there are Northern Ireland flag issues?  According to that article, the Union Jack would be the official flag, which is already in the set.

Honest question: would it be offensive to have just a UK option, or should the four countries be listed as their own option (instead of or in addition to a UK option)?

jpx72

Quote from: MaarioS on May 09, 2012, 12:48:24 pm
No bullshit guys, just make your own flags in MS Paint, the effect would be the same :P

We'll be lucky if UglyJoe manages to find an easy way to display them, don't bother him with creating own ones. Sure, they can be unique, but to draw 247 of them? Sure, we can do continent flags only ;D (I want to be Antarctica!)

fredJ

Quote from: UglyJoe on May 09, 2012, 06:32:52 am

It's curious how sensitive the Internet population is towards that sort of thing.  Maybe would could replace the Venus/Mars symbols with some girl/boy Famicom sprites? Peach and Mario?  Zelda and Link?  Roll and Rock?

Yes, that would be very cool.  :D Better than pink Venus.

Quote from: UglyJoe on May 09, 2012, 05:10:32 pm
There is a UK flag in the set (gb.png).

What flag would Northern Ireland have?  Apparently there are Northern Ireland flag issues?  According to that article, the Union Jack would be the official flag, which is already in the set.

Honest question: would it be offensive to have just a UK option, or should the four countries be listed as their own option (instead of or in addition to a UK option)?

I would have both. I would have a UK flag and flags for the four countries too.
I suppose you will place a combobox ("dropdown") next to the "Location" field, with a list of countries?
So people can still enter their location free text, and have a flag if they want to.
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com

Parodius Duh

Quote from: fredJ on May 09, 2012, 05:52:59 am
Me too.

And I disagree with the Venus symbol being pink, I find that insulting.
I think they should have the same color... Make both pink.

For real?

at least here in the US (and Britain too I think, maybe Australia...eh Im gonna say all English territories), light blue represents male babies and pink represents female babies. Been like that forever....nothing insulting about it and whenever the signs are portrayed in American media, this is what color they turn up as.

UglyJoe

Quote from: Parodius Duh on May 12, 2012, 05:29:07 am
Been like that forever....

Only since the 1940's, actually.  Before then it was the other way around.

famiac

Yep. ^ this is true. Also there shouldnt be anything sexist about it. Just because you're associating a color with a gender's symbol doesn't mean you think more or less of the gender itself. Men and women are different and i don't see why the color of the symbols should bother anyone...

UglyJoe

Country flags have been implemented.  You can pick your country in your profile and it will appear next to your posts.  The field is optional.  I'm open to suggestions for changing the way it gets displayed.

I'll work on the gender sprites next.

Quote from: famiac on May 12, 2012, 09:01:39 am
Just because you're associating a color with a gender's symbol doesn't mean you think more or less of the gender itself. Men and women are different and i don't see why the color of the symbols should bother anyone...

But there is a stigma attached to the color pink.  Ever notice how pink is overtly girly and yet blue is not overtly manly?

petik1

May 12, 2012, 09:18:52 am #22 Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 09:27:18 am by petik1
Allow me to be the first one to abuse the new feature.

Edit: Fun fact, there are no permanent residents in Vatican City, except for the Pope.

UglyJoe

Ended up using Rock and Roll for the gender icons, since Roll is like the only female FC character that isn't pink :P

famifan

thanks for awesome locations !

fredJ

"I'm a boy I'm a boy..."
Nice sprites, and country flags.
I decided to go with Switzerland for once. Not a big difference anways. Better chocolate.

MasterDisk

Quote from: fredJ on May 13, 2012, 12:07:51 am
"I'm a boy I'm a boy..."
Nice sprites, and country flags.
I decided to go with Switzerland for once. Not a big difference anways. Better chocolate.

and better cheese ;D

Frank_fjs

This is great, thanks for implementing the country flags!

jpx72

We already have the flags? Yaaay! Wonderful feature! Nice work!

fredJ

Will you make those little popup tooltip, or whatever they are called? I always use them... For the flag and for the "Gender" icon.

It may not be necessary to have the word "Gender", perhaps it would be enough to simply have the icon and the tooltip that says "Male / female", "boy / girl", or what you want to call it...

I might have prefered to have the female icon a princess because all girls want to be princesses. But I won't complain.  :D