Strange snack ideas that are actually pretty good.

Started by ramidavis, May 14, 2012, 10:46:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ramidavis

Has any one ever tried to get you to try something, and you refuse at first thinking "no way, no how." ? Only to find your self tempted later to actually give it a try?
Happened to me recently. i came downstairs to find my mom fixing something in the kitchen. It was rye toast, with peanut butter, pickle slices (zesty bread and butter), and a slice of sharp cheddar on it. She asked if i wanted one, and i just said "no i don't think so" , continued about my business.
Well, time went on, and about 2 weeks later, i remembered that day in the kitchen, and could not get it out of my head! Then, i actually started to wonder "What if it actually tastes good?"... That drove me nuts, for another week, thinking that i may actually like something so absurd... So today, i actually gave in and made one. To be honest, it really does taste good... Oh no, i am starting to like the things my parents like that i never even knew could go together!! AAAH, i'm turning into my mother!! :mspacman: :crazy:

L___E___T

I get this regularly with various Chinese snacks, look like something Yoda would eat but taste pretty good.  I'm often still none the wiser what some of them are.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

nintendodork

Every time I get the munchies this is usually a side effect. I get some sort of craving for some weird food that normally I'd never really wanted to try. Whatever I make usually tastes pretty good. :P One time I mixed Nutella and peanut butter with a little bit of milk and it was just awesome.
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

Yelir

I had weird snack ideas and too little time while hungry, so I put glosette raisins on top of a pepperoni and cheese pizza. Tasty stuff!

famiac

manuel

Quote from: nintendodork on May 15, 2012, 07:16:04 pm
Every time I get the munchies this is usually a side effect. I get some sort of craving for some weird food that normally I'd never really wanted to try. Whatever I make usually tastes pretty good. :P One time I mixed Nutella and peanut butter with a little bit of milk and it was just awesome.

That sounds like a mars bar with milk. Can't be bad!

jpx72

Neapolitan wafers with soft cheese (you know, the small triangle ones). yumm!

L___E___T

Quote from: nintendodork on May 15, 2012, 07:16:04 pm

Liquid Reese's!?!   Market that!
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Drakon

Quote from: L___E___T on May 15, 2012, 04:56:54 am
I get this regularly with various Chinese snacks, look like something Yoda would eat but taste pretty good.  I'm often still none the wiser what some of them are.

Are you f#cking kidding me?!  My gf tried introducing me to all sorts of chinese snacks and I hated 90% of them.  Yet she loves these things.....blehhh.  The one I refuse to try is stinky tofu.

When I was a teenager I would constantly eat something I created that my mom called the "instant heart attack".  Two pieces of raisin bread with a thick piece of butter in between....so good.

L___E___T

May 16, 2012, 10:41:46 am #9 Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 03:59:15 am by L___E___T
Is it that spicy tofu?   Odd, same situation with me but most of them end up tasting great.  Having said that I wasn't keen on the Korean stuff she gets a boner over.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Drakon

Quote from: L___E___T on May 16, 2012, 10:41:46 am
Is it that spicy tofu?   Odd, same situation with me but most of them end up tatsing great.  Having said that I wasn't keen on the Korean stuff she gets a boner over.

....how on earth does "stinky" turn into "spicey" ?  It's not spicey it's literally stinky, in fact it smells like puke I'm not sh#tting you.  Stinky tofu is this odd food from taiwan where they purposely let the tofu ferment to the point of disgustingness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinky_tofu

And my girlfriend LOVES it.....must be a culture thing.

Korean stuff is very safe I've never seen anything gross looking come from korea.  I had a japanese friend mail me a dvd about japanese cooking and people were literally being served a dish where the fish was still moving on their plate.

One other thing I've noticed about korean food is pretty much all of my asian friends love pork bone soup but really that's my least favourite korean dish it tastes like regular soup made out of leftovers.

Parodius Duh

Ba-Tampte Half Sour Pickles (If ur from NY, CT, Mass, or Jewish, then you know) cut into four's and then spread cream cheese on hard salami and wrap it around the pickle spear. SO. DAMN. GOOD!

Drakon

Quote from: Parodius Duh on May 16, 2012, 07:05:53 pm
Ba-Tampte Half Sour Pickles (If ur from NY, CT, Mass, or Jewish, then you know) cut into four's and then spread cream cheese on hard salami and wrap it around the pickle spear. SO. DAMN. GOOD!

That does sound good and I'm not from any of the above.

Drakon

May 18, 2012, 06:18:42 am #13 Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 06:33:54 am by Drakon
I was always a bulgolgi fan myself (no clue how to spell it I speak zero korean).  But even korean food quality depends on the place.  I found one place that had an awesome jya jyang mee-en (black noodle goodness) but terrible bugolgi.  Most places I went to were the opposite they'd have awesome bugolgi and terrible jya jyang mien.  Bibimbap is terribly boring I never liked it my gf loves it and so does a chinese-canadian friend.

*edit* I just realized I know that korean dish by its chinese name haha

I also hate blood chunks in my soup I tried it in bun bo hue a spicey vietnamese soup and it tasted horrible so I'd always pick it out and feed it to my gf.

We found all the authentic japanese restaurants in this city (we verified this by bringing japanese friends to the restaurants).  Japanese dishes aren't spicey enough for me and are a bit mild in flavour.  I do however love authentic japanese sushi the chinese / korean sushi is terrible in comparison.

Right now I'm eating these very delicious taiwanese snacks I have no idea what they're called.  They're like really super long potato chips but much healthier tasting.

Drakon

Toronto (where I live) is basically the land of foreign food so I can find pretty much any sort of cuisine here.  I love thai food but it's hard to find cheap thai food here.  Downtown there's this thai place that tastes pretty darn authentic it's always got a lineup going down the street around dinner time.  My ex gf's mom is from thailand and sometimes she'd bring over homemade thai food her mom made....oh man it was soooo good.  Vietnamese people seem to enjoy eating a lot of their food cold....which isn't really my thing.  But I think vietnamese people make the best soup so I'm always down for a good mild beaf pho or bun bo hue.  On weekends me and my gf travel great distance to go to the largest asian supermarket in the city area (it's on the outskirts) just because we can buy the best and cheapest chinese food there.  I think it costs something like 5$ each for enough amazing food to feed both of us for two meals.  That supermarket is where we find all these bizarre asian snacks that she likes but I can't stand.