Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 21, 2014, 01:06:15 PM
Home Famicom World Search Calendar Login Register

+  Famicom World
|-+  Misc.
| |-+  Off-Topic Chat (Moderators: manuel, MaxXimus, The Uninvited Gremlin, L___E___T)
| | |-+  Strange snack ideas that are actually pretty good.
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Strange snack ideas that are actually pretty good.  (Read 1441 times)
ramidavis
Famicom
United States United States

loopier than a gosub command.

« on: May 15, 2012, 04:46:20 AM »

Has any one ever tried to get you to try something, and you refuse at first thinking "no way, no how." ? Only to find your self tempted later to actually give it a try?
Happened to me recently. i came downstairs to find my mom fixing something in the kitchen. It was rye toast, with peanut butter, pickle slices (zesty bread and butter), and a slice of sharp cheddar on it. She asked if i wanted one, and i just said "no i don't think so" , continued about my business.
Well, time went on, and about 2 weeks later, i remembered that day in the kitchen, and could not get it out of my head! Then, i actually started to wonder "What if it actually tastes good?"... That drove me nuts, for another week, thinking that i may actually like something so absurd... So today, i actually gave in and made one. To be honest, it really does taste good... Oh no, i am starting to like the things my parents like that i never even knew could go together!! AAAH, i'm turning into my mother!! Ms. Pacman Crazy
L___E___T
YAMAHA
Global Moderator
Disk-kun
Hong Kong Hong Kong

NIB hardware collector

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 10:56:54 AM »

I get this regularly with various Chinese snacks, look like something Yoda would eat but taste pretty good.  I'm often still none the wiser what some of them are.

My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。
nintendodork
Ex-Post Whore
FW Legacy
Disk-kun

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 01:16:04 AM »

Every time I get the munchies this is usually a side effect. I get some sort of craving for some weird food that normally I'd never really wanted to try. Whatever I make usually tastes pretty good. Tongue One time I mixed Nutella and peanut butter with a little bit of milk and it was just awesome.
Yelir
Disk System

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 02:38:38 AM »

I had weird snack ideas and too little time while hungry, so I put glosette raisins on top of a pepperoni and cheese pizza. Tasty stuff!
famiac
Twin Famicom

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 05:12:36 AM »

Peanut butter and bacon sandwich for the win!

member #844 and 565
manuel
CIB maniac
Global Moderator
Disk-kun
Japan Japan

It'sa Mii, manuel

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 05:56:14 AM »

Every time I get the munchies this is usually a side effect. I get some sort of craving for some weird food that normally I'd never really wanted to try. Whatever I make usually tastes pretty good. Tongue One time I mixed Nutella and peanut butter with a little bit of milk and it was just awesome.

That sounds like a mars bar with milk. Can't be bad!

jpx72
Sharp C1
Slovakia Slovakia

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 06:13:48 AM »

Neapolitan wafers with soft cheese (you know, the small triangle ones). yumm!

L___E___T
YAMAHA
Global Moderator
Disk-kun
Hong Kong Hong Kong

NIB hardware collector

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 11:38:26 AM »

Liquid Reese's!?!   Market that!

大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。
Drakon
Twin Famicom
Canada Canada

Retro console modder

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 12:17:01 PM »

I get this regularly with various Chinese snacks, look like something Yoda would eat but taste pretty good.  I'm often still none the wiser what some of them are.

Are you f#cking kidding me?!  My gf tried introducing me to all sorts of chinese snacks and I hated 90% of them.  Yet she loves these things.....blehhh.  The one I refuse to try is stinky tofu.

When I was a teenager I would constantly eat something I created that my mom called the "instant heart attack".  Two pieces of raisin bread with a thick piece of butter in between....so good.

L___E___T
YAMAHA
Global Moderator
Disk-kun
Hong Kong Hong Kong

NIB hardware collector

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 04:41:46 PM »

Is it that spicy tofu?   Odd, same situation with me but most of them end up tasting great.  Having said that I wasn't keen on the Korean stuff she gets a boner over.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 09:59:15 AM by L___E___T » Logged

大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。
Drakon
Twin Famicom
Canada Canada

Retro console modder

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 05:23:02 PM »

Is it that spicy tofu?   Odd, same situation with me but most of them end up tatsing great.  Having said that I wasn't keen on the Korean stuff she gets a boner over.

....how on earth does "stinky" turn into "spicey" ?  It's not spicey it's literally stinky, in fact it smells like puke I'm not sh#tting you.  Stinky tofu is this odd food from taiwan where they purposely let the tofu ferment to the point of disgustingness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinky_tofu

And my girlfriend LOVES it.....must be a culture thing.

Korean stuff is very safe I've never seen anything gross looking come from korea.  I had a japanese friend mail me a dvd about japanese cooking and people were literally being served a dish where the fish was still moving on their plate.

One other thing I've noticed about korean food is pretty much all of my asian friends love pork bone soup but really that's my least favourite korean dish it tastes like regular soup made out of leftovers.

Parodius Duh
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 01:05:53 AM »

Ba-Tampte Half Sour Pickles (If ur from NY, CT, Mass, or Jewish, then you know) cut into four's and then spread cream cheese on hard salami and wrap it around the pickle spear. SO. DAMN. GOOD!
Drakon
Twin Famicom
Canada Canada

Retro console modder

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 01:03:36 PM »

Ba-Tampte Half Sour Pickles (If ur from NY, CT, Mass, or Jewish, then you know) cut into four's and then spread cream cheese on hard salami and wrap it around the pickle spear. SO. DAMN. GOOD!

That does sound good and I'm not from any of the above.

80sFREAK
Sharp C1

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 08:12:22 AM »

Is it that spicy tofu?   Odd, same situation with me but most of them end up tatsing great.  Having said that I wasn't keen on the Korean stuff she gets a boner over.

....how on earth does "stinky" turn into "spicey" ?  It's not spicey it's literally stinky, in fact it smells like puke I'm not sh#tting you.  Stinky tofu is this odd food from taiwan where they purposely let the tofu ferment to the point of disgustingness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinky_tofu

And my girlfriend LOVES it.....must be a culture thing.

Korean stuff is very safe I've never seen anything gross looking come from korea.  I had a japanese friend mail me a dvd about japanese cooking and people were literally being served a dish where the fish was still moving on their plate.

One other thing I've noticed about korean food is pretty much all of my asian friends love pork bone soup but really that's my least favourite korean dish it tastes like regular soup made out of leftovers.

Ok, my turn now Grin
 That tofu actually quite tasty(no, i am not chinese LOL), maybe you went to wrong place to try it. As about chinese food - i don't like southern style dinner menu, but yumcha. some nothern style meals quite good. Chinese food is very depends on place - some meals are good, but same stuff in different place will tastes like SHIT.

You can eat korean, if you can eat garlic(lots of garlic), chilly and fermented miso. Korean food is tasty, but very VERY stinky, when cooking. People usually lock themself with bibimba or dolsot bibimba, which is pretty plain. Want something specific? Try beef blood soup Wink  And my favorite "fish egg" soup and "beef neck bone" soup.

I wish i can try real japanese food... oh, sorry, tried not so long time ago at sakura party. Grinded yamaimo with fish flakes - looks like shaked egg and taste is... like spring freshness. Unfortunately these days japanese food is pizza-pasta-mcdonalds and other food surrogates. Tempura and ramen doesn't count as it's an "imported". Not so many places serving genmai. Japanese drinking much less green tea and, if drinking, that tea is bottled.
 About alive served fish - it's kinda top-class sashimi restaurant.

Ok, back to the topic. I'm a family man, so don't have any strange snack ideas Grin

I do not have paypal, facebook, twitter accounts. Don't ask me why.
Drakon
Twin Famicom
Canada Canada

Retro console modder

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 12:18:42 PM »

I was always a bulgolgi fan myself (no clue how to spell it I speak zero korean).  But even korean food quality depends on the place.  I found one place that had an awesome jya jyang mee-en (black noodle goodness) but terrible bugolgi.  Most places I went to were the opposite they'd have awesome bugolgi and terrible jya jyang mien.  Bibimbap is terribly boring I never liked it my gf loves it and so does a chinese-canadian friend.

*edit* I just realized I know that korean dish by its chinese name haha

I also hate blood chunks in my soup I tried it in bun bo hue a spicey vietnamese soup and it tasted horrible so I'd always pick it out and feed it to my gf.

We found all the authentic japanese restaurants in this city (we verified this by bringing japanese friends to the restaurants).  Japanese dishes aren't spicey enough for me and are a bit mild in flavour.  I do however love authentic japanese sushi the chinese / korean sushi is terrible in comparison.

Right now I'm eating these very delicious taiwanese snacks I have no idea what they're called.  They're like really super long potato chips but much healthier tasting.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 12:33:54 PM by Drakon » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: