What's the point of a 'simulation' games since they're so f-word boring?

Started by FamicomRetroGamer, May 11, 2012, 01:52:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FamicomRetroGamer

Forza and Gran Turismo 5 + Academy 2012 Nissan (shouldn't have bothered downloading it on my PS3) are Good lordy, so dull for me, I just can't bother completing the track because it just kills the mood since there's no fun in it for me.

Instead of Forza/GT5, I'd definitely prefer to play games that are actually fun and awesome (IMO), games like, Race Driver GRID, Mario Kart, Burnout (titles before that Paradise broken piece of crap game), Need for Speed (Underground/Most Wanted and others too), Ridge Racer (the old ones, the new one feels like a Burnout rip-off but it's fun) and etc.

Maybe these so-called 'simulation' racing games are just 'simulators' on the part of how they sound and work, because for realistic damage/crashes they're terrible.

Drakon

f-word'in eh!  I still remember playing microsoft flight simulator in the 90s and thinking "what's the point of playing a realistic flying game?  Or a realistic game of any kind?".  The sims....YUCK!  The closest thing I came to a reality game was sim city and that wasn't like reality since you could go through 50 years in an hour or so.  There's some poeple who enjoy these types of games though.  Not me, other people.

security16

But derailing trains in the train simulator games was the best fun EVER mainly because i'm a complete retard for trains though and i've got a morbid fascination with train stacks!

fromjapanwithpixels

I can only speak from a racing perspective, but: from my experiences, "realism" in series such as Forza and Gran Turismo equates to cars handling like lead bricks with wheels attempting to drive by some of the most dullest scenery one can witness in a video game.

At the same time, however, I am also not fond of pure arcade racers (NFS, Daytona USA, SEGA Rally, Burnout, etc.) where handling suffers from a complete LACK of realism i.e. cars that massively oversteer yet somehow manage to stay glued onto the tarmac.

For me, it's all about a balance between the two paradigms: PGR, Metropolis Street Racer, Race Driver GRiD, RalliSport, Colin McCrae and so on seem to exemplify the proper combination of real-world and fantasy.

Drakon

I still remember when ultima online was new and my friend showed me this guy who paid money every month to go online and cook...he was the highest level chef possible in the game...

petik1

Quote from: fromjapanwithpixels on May 15, 2012, 01:59:10 am
cars handling like lead bricks

THIS. I can't count how many racing games I've played where the car has like a 50 ft. turning radius.

fredJ

I hated Harvest Moon. I harvested grass for hours but the store kept telling me I needed more grass before I could buy animals.
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com

Drakon

Quote from: fredJ on May 17, 2012, 02:38:28 pm
I hated Harvest Moon. I harvested grass for hours but the store kept telling me I needed more grass before I could buy animals.

Amen man that game is seriously bad.  Although I do like E.V.O. but luckily it doesn't take you thousands of years to evolve.

FamicomFreak

Well some simulation games in the past were used for training in the army and such. They are helpful in some ways I guess.
Retro Gaming Life  www.retrogaminglife.com