Limiting New Users usage of the B/S/T and Auction forums?

Started by Parodius Duh, May 26, 2012, 08:16:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Parodius Duh

So Ive recently ran into a problem with a new member in the B/S/T and Auction forums. Is it possible to limit new users to using these forums until they reach maybe 25 posts or something in the discussion forums? I know a ton of sites that do this and its a great idea that really cuts back on scammers and flake outs!

UglyJoe

It's my understanding that there are actually a number of users here with zero posts that have been good buyers, so I'm a bit hesitant to make such a limitation.

What does everyone else think?

Frank_fjs

Another forum that I frequent enforces a 30 post limit before trading - it seems to work reasonably well. It gives new users a chance to mingle and get to know the community a little bit, as well as giving the community an opportunity to get to know them.

It still doesn't stop trouble makers though, nor does it stop people who solely wish to trade and not participate in the community (not sure if this is frowned upon here?) It also introduces the possibility of people spamming their way to 30 posts, but this is obvious to spot and can be dealt with if necessary, though it's more work for the mods.

It can make new users feel a little isolated and left out, but generally most people that wish to be part of the community and do a little trading on the side don't mind. It's only the straight to business and nothing else people that complain.

I guess you should create a thread/poll with some of the experienced/trusted traders here and see how often they are experiencing problems. If it's happening at an alarming rate, then look into a plan of action. If it's only a rare occurrence, why bother with change?

MasterDisk

Well there hasn't been much new member that scammed someone here, I think I got the only one.... (well that would be the second with Parodius)

Also I do not like much this idea. Sometimes some people spam all around to get those X posts and there's really few new members that do bad thing. Sometimes you can guess they are suspicious

fredJ

Is it really a problem? I agree that users would probably feel left out. And, as was also said, this restriction would be easy to circumvent for anyone who wanted. Suppose you are a lurking guest (as i am writing, there are 35 guests on the forum), and you see something you want to buy. You have to register, throw out 30 posts?

If someone doesn't want to sell to a user with 0 posts, then don't sell. This isn't ebay. You can sell to whoever you want to sell to.
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com

famifan

just imagine that you're the scammer. And what should stop you to post some comments in holywar/offtop threads? Really nothing. Even 100 posts, yeah it takes some additional time about a few weeks, but doesn't cure the scammer.

80sFREAK

Quote from: Parodius Duh on May 26, 2012, 08:16:03 am
So Ive recently ran into a problem with a new member in the B/S/T and Auction forums. Is it possible to limit new users to using these forums until they reach maybe 25 posts or something in the discussion forums? I know a ton of sites that do this and its a great idea that really cuts back on scammers and flake outs!

Just expose the user name and location(ZIP code enough). We should know, who is that "hero".
I agree with UJ, that lots of "0 posts" people are normal, but still...
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

Algo Fonix

Making posts doesn't really mean much. If a person were going to scam you, they'd do whatever they had to... and making 25, 30, 100 posts isn't such a big deal. I made a purchase on here before even making a single post... but really like has been said before, if a seller doesn't want to sell to 0 post members then they should probably refrain from doing so. Of course even with a ton of posts... a person can just flake out and screw someone over.

MWK

Limit making new B/S/T topics, not only by New Users, but also by everyone else.
I don't know what the problem could be with a New User buying - he paid, you're clear. When such individual is selling something - you should ALWAYS stay alert.

petik1

Yeah, even though there are ways for the buyer to scam,  selling is the only real problem. Limiting to posts doesn't do a whole lot, I guess trust still rules.

Parodius Duh

May 27, 2012, 01:58:08 pm #10 Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 02:05:21 pm by Parodius Duh
I didnt buy or sell, I made a trade and never received my end. Anyway, another point that has nothing to do with being scammed-

I think users should be required to post at least 25 times before being able to use the b/s/t and auction forums, that way they can become a somewhat established member, why should someone with 0 posts be able to come here, just sit back and watch the b/s/t forum and scoop up all the good deals from members with 600-700-800-1000+ posts without ever making a single attempt at being a member of this community? they should not be able to do that unless they are an established and active member. I lost out on a great deal on an awesome game I needed. Why? cause the username of the buyer that the seller told me was some guy thats never even posted once but has been registered for months. Thats not right and far from being acceptable in my book.

petik1

I disagree. That would change the forums atmosphere to something akin to a SUPER SECRET CLUB!!!1!11 that we all hate NA and AA for. FW is one of the most open forums, and has minimal problems between members.

Parodius Duh

May 27, 2012, 03:45:49 pm #12 Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 03:58:57 pm by Parodius Duh
Quote from: petik1 on May 27, 2012, 02:58:12 pm
I disagree. That would change the forums atmosphere to something akin to a SUPER SECRET CLUB!!!1!11 that we all hate NA and AA for. FW is one of the most open forums, and has minimal problems between members.

I dont feel that way and if nothing changes Ill be leaving sooner than later, or at least not come here as frequently. On top of already getting burned, Nothing pisses me off more than when users that dont even participate in the forum have the ability to swipe items out from under you, seriously, F*CK THAT!

And it would not be "SUPER SECRET CLUB" seriously how frickin' hard is it to post 25 times?

If this forum remains to open of an atmosphere than its going to cause problems.

Im not trying to be bitter, heck I was fine with how this forum was. Wait until it happens to you, then you will have a different outlook.

petik1

The thing is, your solution doesn't solve the problem. You said it yourself.

Quote from: Parodius Duh on May 27, 2012, 03:45:49 pm
how frickin' hard is it to post 25 times?

I can go write 25 three-word posts in a few days. It would just place an annoying barrier on those who just wish to buy a certain item. Just because someone's a member on a forum longer than another doesn't mean they're entitled to dibs on marketplace items.

Parodius Duh

Quote from: petik1 on May 27, 2012, 05:42:09 pm
The thing is, your solution doesn't solve the problem. You said it yourself.

Quote from: Parodius Duh on May 27, 2012, 03:45:49 pm
how frickin' hard is it to post 25 times?

I can go write 25 three-word posts in a few days. It would just place an annoying barrier on those who just wish to buy a certain item. Just because someone's a member on a forum longer than another doesn't mean they're entitled to dibs on marketplace items.

Exactly, its annoying and will deter those who have no desire to be a part of the actual community and will make those who want to buy something that bad, work for it.

if this isnt an option than how about making a sub forum to the b/s/t forum that only members with 100+ feedback can post their rare items for sale and trade with each other, without the worry of being scammed by noobs.