Limiting New Users usage of the B/S/T and Auction forums?

Started by Parodius Duh, May 26, 2012, 08:16:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Servoisnaked

As someone who is just now posting for the first time, let me say that what I love about this forum is when I first joined and started messaging people who had had items I was interested in purchasing, everyone was very kind and inviting and all of our transactions went smoothly. I know if there was a 25 post minimum I don't know if I would of joined in the first place. Not because I don't like to contribute, but because if I do post on a message board of any type I like to have something worthwhile to say, or answer a question, or add something new to the conversation. I used to be a moderator of a message board and one of my pet peeves used to be people spamming the boards just to get their post counts up with one word replies. If you imposed a rule like this you would surely be inundated with posts of this type. I myself am still new to the whole Famicom world so I rather read the posts of more knowledgeable members and if I do have something to add I would.

Like I did just now.  ;D

Frank_fjs

This is just my opinion, but I'm happier when I see deals go to forum members who actually contribute.

Quote from: Servoisnaked on September 12, 2012, 02:39:27 am
I know if there was a 25 post minimum I don't know if I would of joined in the first place.

Absolutely no offence intended, but you joined this forum a year ago and have made 2 posts since. How is this forum losing out by you not being here?

Don't take that the wrong way, it's not meant to sound as harsh as it comes across, but do you see my point? You're basically saying 'I don't contribute to this forum, I just swoop in and buy all the good deals, and if you had a post limitation I would have never joined these forums'. -Where's the loss in you not joining if you don't intend to contribute anyhow and are only here for your own personal gain? Make sense?

fredJ

Actually I understand why users don't post much.
I am a member of forums where I really can't contribute other than useless posts, and I don't want that. I am glad if I can make a few relevant posts here, every now and then.

What sort of posts would a user make if he doesn't have much to contribute?
*First* he should buy a famicom, *then* he may ask questions about his problems, *then* he may make some other contributions to the forum. That's a natural development, in my opinion.
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com

Nightstar699

Quote from: Frank_fjs on September 12, 2012, 03:16:57 am
You're basically saying 'I don't contribute to this forum, I just swoop in and buy all the good deals, and if you had a post limitation I would have never joined these forums'. -Where's the loss in you not joining if you don't intend to contribute anyhow and are only here for your own personal gain?

Well said, Frank.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

Servoisnaked

Quote from: Frank_fjs on September 12, 2012, 03:16:57 am
This is just my opinion, but I'm happier when I see deals go to forum members who actually contribute.

Quote from: Servoisnaked on September 12, 2012, 02:39:27 am
I know if there was a 25 post minimum I don't know if I would of joined in the first place.

Absolutely no offence intended, but you joined this forum a year ago and have made 2 posts since. How is this forum losing out by you not being here?

Don't take that the wrong way, it's not meant to sound as harsh as it comes across, but do you see my point? You're basically saying 'I don't contribute to this forum, I just swoop in and buy all the good deals, and if you had a post limitation I would have never joined these forums'. -Where's the loss in you not joining if you don't intend to contribute anyhow and are only here for your own personal gain? Make sense?

All members who are part of this site have an equal chance of getting a good deal. First come first serve. Having a 25 posts or 1000 posts is not going to change that. The same applies to scammers. People who rip you off are going to regardless of their post count.

As a moderator I would more annoyed by people who made useless posts that I would have to moderate later. It's true that I don't contribute but I do read the other sections of the forums or else I would have not said anything here.

There is no loss or gain for you if I joined or not. That's true. But I have been a good buyer on these forums and the people who I have purchased items from may have lost out on my business.

nintendodork

Quote from: fredJ on September 12, 2012, 03:40:24 am
What sort of posts would a user make if he doesn't have much to contribute?
You can check my first 2,000 or so posts here for the answer to that question.  Even when I was super interested in Famicom (I'm really not that much anymore), I never really had much to contribute here.  Somehow I became a moderator though. :P
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

GohanX

As a relative newcomer here, I can tell you that if I couldn't have used the trading forums as a noob, I probably wouldn't still be around.

I joined the forum and was looking around trying to determine if I wanted to get into the Famicom or not, and I bought a system and some games from two different sellers with maybe 3 posts under my belt. I probably would not have bought a Famicom at ebay prices, so I probably would have moved on after a couple of weeks.

As it is, I now have a Famicom, FDS, a ton of games for each, and working on repros, none of which I would have done if I had moved on. I don't post all that much, but I'm reading the forum pretty much every day.

nintendodork

Quote from: JC on September 23, 2010, 08:00:12 pm
I think Nintendodork would understand we're not too strict but like to keep things orderly and courteous.
*shrug*
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

L___E___T

Lurkers are an inherent part of a forum model, I don't think scaring them away has benefits - more can be done to turn lurkers into posters, then in turn those posters becomes super posters over time.  I think if people get annoyed that get pipped to the post on deals by lurkers, they've got to be quicker or suck it up.

Put it this way, if someone doesn't post but checks the site every single day and reads just part of one thread, isn't that still worthwhile?  People are enjoying the site.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

dlm040

Hello. I just joined this site because of the B/S/T area. There are a couple of projects I am working on, and need to find some good pirated games. (I understand good is relative but you know what I mean.) This site has been a great resource, and the people who post here seem to be honest and polite. I'm not the most active poster on any forum, but I hope the B/S/T area will remain open.