Could I Go Online With a Dreamcast?

Started by okame, November 19, 2012, 12:32:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

okame

I know that the Dreamcast I bought a few years ago at my local gaming store probably only has a dial-up modem, and I'd have to find and install a broadband adapter to go online with my DSL network, but if I got the Dreamcast keyboard and mouse, is there a way to go online and look at ACTUAL websites, not just fan made online game servers? I've never been able to find any Dreamcast games in pawn shops or gaming stores, so all I have is the system. I'm always buying DVDs or games for other retro systems online, so this is all future planning. If I bought the keyboard and mouse, would I be able to watch You Tube Videos and read fan fiction or blogs online with my Dreamcast, or is the Dreamcast just too obsolete for modern websites? I'm okay either way, but I just wanted to know.

son_ov_hades

I seem to remember the Dreamcast having some sort of web browser back in the day.

nintendodork

November 19, 2012, 03:03:54 pm #2 Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 03:32:37 pm by nintendodork
Imagine trying to browse the modern internet using a computer that hasn't been touched since 2000 (Netscape and all) and that's what it would be like.  Watching Youtube videos would be absolutely impossible.  You may be able to find a way to read websites in text-only format, but that wouldn't be fun at all. :P
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

ulera

L___E___T

My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

UglyJoe

Could try to get Linux up and running on it.  I'm doubtful that Youtube would work, but it would probably yield better results than the DC's web browser.

http://www.lxdream.org/wiki/index.php?title=Dreamcast_Linux

I'm guessing you would need the network adapter in order to do anything useful online (especially video), so good luck finding one of those for a reasonable price.

RainLink

I always wanted to to try and find a solution to this because I wanted to go online and use my rings in SA2 to buy chao eggs, and the only legit way to do that is to go online to the "blackmarket" I think it's called. I tried looking at those network adapters too and like UglyJoe mentioned you need to pay a pretty penny for one of those.
"Consider your origins: You were not made to live as brutes, but to follow virtue and knowledge." - Dante Alighieri

modeltfordman

The dc could go onto the net, but you had to use the browser cd that came with it. Speaking of the broad band adapter, it was released towards the end of the dc's life i think ,and is very hard to find unless you get it off the internet. If you have an older dc you can download the iso images and burn the games to cdr and play them w/o modding the system. I bought Shenmue II pal and it works fine in my dc, but I had to download a boot disk that allowed me to play pal games.

Lum

Broadband adapter needs a newer version browser cd. And most games didn't support it, due to the late release.

yeah dc unfortunately takes a hardware mod to directly load official imports of all regions.
*bzzzt*