March 28, 2024, 10:47:44 am

Excited about Wii U?

Started by FamicomRetroGamer, June 07, 2012, 03:40:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FamicomRetroGamer

Technical Details:
QuoteDimensions: 1.8 inches high, 10.5 inches deep and 6.8 inches long.
    Weight: 3.41 pounds (1.5 kg).
    CPU: IBM Power-based multi-core processor.
    GPU: AMD Radeon-based High Definition GPU.
    Storage: Internal flash memory. Also supports SD memory cards and external USB storage.
    Media: Wii U and Wii proprietary optical discs. Most Wii games will be compatible.
    Networking: Wireless (IEEE 802.11b/g/n), plus four USB 2.0 connectors for LAN Adapters.
    Audio Output: Six-channel PCM linear output via HDMI connector, or analog output via AV Multi Out connector.
    Video Output: Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i.
    Wii U GamePad: 6.2-inch, 16:9 LCD touch screen, twin analog sticks, D-pad, L/R analog sticks, L/R stick buttons, A/B/X/Y buttons, L/R buttons, ZL/ZR buttons, Power button, HOME button, -/SELECT button, +/START button, and TV CONTROL button. Accelerometer, gyroscope and geomagnetic motion control, front-facing camera, microphone, stereo speakers, rumble and support for Near Field Communication (NFC) functionality. NFC allows for wireless communication with objects held above, or placed on, the GamePad.

At first I didn't honestly like the name "Wii U" but after seeing more of Wii U hardware itself my opinion changed about it, the Pro Controller looks to be awesome, the graphics of Wii U that I watched via Nintendo's E3 with 720p HD quality video rip didn't look much better than Xbox 360's or PS3.

But personally, the graphics that Xbox 360 and PS3 have right now are more than what I always wanted so I'm not one to complain, plus New Super Mario Bros U will make great use of the Wii U technology.

You know, the title "New Super Mario Bros U" made me think that the U was going to let the player have his/her own avatar playing on the game the whole time, like Wii & Xbox 360 games allow to do so.

jpx72

June 07, 2012, 03:58:32 am #1 Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 04:08:07 am by jpx72
The name? You cannot even imagine how stupid Wii or Wii U sounds in my language :crazy:
But I'm pretty excited!

manuel

Hm... I want to be excited, but somehow I'm not.  :-[
I guess I'm not so much into home consoles any more.

I have a few consoles connected, but the only one I use regularly is my Twin Famicom.  :mario:

I think the graphics are okay. Heck, I find Wii graphics good!  :crazy: I'm totally satisfied with anything in this compartment.

L___E___T

I think this is the first Nintendo console I don't see a reason to pick up.  New SMB U looks good, but really I'm ok to miss it if it comes at a $100 cost, let alone $300 cost. 

Maybe cool for anyone without a 360 / PS3, but when you can pick up a 360 for under $100, I don't see the allure and my personal view is that they're missing the point with it.  I'm just not excited and let's face it, not a lot of us have hundreds to spare these days...
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

GohanX

I'm not really excited, to me it's all about the games, and so far the only stuff that is interesting is New SMB and Pikmin 3, neither of which are system sellers to me.

I think I'm a bit jaded after buying both the 3DS and Vita at launch. I don't regret either, but the first year with only a couple of good games sucked. Thr 3DS has a good selection now, but the Vita has little new on the horizon.

Drakon

am I excited?  About as excited about the 3ds!......which isn't a whole lot.  Having a great system means NOTHING if there isn't any great games to play on it.  I thought people learned that lesson from all the failed systems of console past.  For all I care the graphics and sound can look like an atari 2000 just as long as the game is fuuuuuuuuuun!

L___E___T

I agree with everything you gawd done both just said  :pow:
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

UglyJoe

I'm not super-excited, but I'll probably get it near-launch anyway.  I like the idea of being able to play the console games on the pad.  I can play on the TV for a while, and when my wife wants to watch TV, I can switch to the pad ;D

But I agree, nothing really jumps out as a must-have feature.  At this point, I'm most looking forward to various asymmetric multiplayer games.  Pac Man VS is awesome, so more games along those lines would be great.

FamicomFreak

Quote from: Drakon on June 07, 2012, 10:08:01 am
am I excited?  About as excited about the 3ds!......which isn't a whole lot.  Having a great system means NOTHING if there isn't any great games to play on it.  I thought people learned that lesson from all the failed systems of console past.  For all I care the graphics and sound can look like an atari 2000 just as long as the game is fuuuuuuuuuun!

Well isn't that why we still play the great classics from the past? They are and will always be fun to come back to. If there are only Nintendo titles coming out for this "new" console then I'm going to skip on it. I miss the SNES days where there was amazing third party support...just amazing! Same with NES! What happened to those days!!!
Retro Gaming Life  www.retrogaminglife.com

petik1

Quote from: GohanX on June 07, 2012, 09:58:15 am
I think I'm a bit jaded after buying both the 3DS and Vita at launch.

You bought both at launch? You poor thing.

Drakon

Quote from: FamicomFreak on June 07, 2012, 06:52:21 pm
Well isn't that why we still play the great classics from the past? They are and will always be fun to come back to. If there are only Nintendo titles coming out for this "new" console then I'm going to skip on it. I miss the SNES days where there was amazing third party support...just amazing! Same with NES! What happened to those days!!!

Overpowered hardware and an over-inflated video game industry?

jpx72

June 08, 2012, 12:11:00 am #11 Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 12:16:22 am by jpx72

I wonder if there will be a posibility to use two Wii balance boards simultaneously. My other half will be more open to the WiiU purchase ;D
(I bought my first board for nearly 100euros, got second one from a yard sale for 2€  :crazy:)

FamicomRetroGamer

The Wii U GamePad on E3's Nintendo video conference looked so damn big, seriously, it reminded me of Sega GameGear.

If I were to play Wii U it'd definitely be with Wii U Pro Controller!

treismac

I can't say I'm excited.  I'm more concerned that this will hurt Nintendo, to be honest.  The tablet controller gimmick will, I believe, spawn tons and tons of shovelware- uninspired shovelware that will not be so far removed from $1 iPod/iPad/Android apps that you don't need to bother looking up from your controller to play and you save +$50.  I don't doubt there will be a worthwhile game or two that does something nifty with the new format.  I just hope a day will come again when video games for Nintendo systems will no longer revolve around the latest gimmick/angle that they pull out of their less than inspired magician's hat. 

Also, I tire of Mii/super family friendly crap themed games.  An occasional rockin' Wario Ware mingame fest is a good thing.  A ton of poorly conceived and equally poorly executed minigame collections is not.  I suppose it could be worse (i.e. infested with FPS games).   ;D

With all of that said, I hope the system rocks and there are many, many memorable games that come out for it.

petik1

Meh, I think they'll pull through. Every system, home or handheld, since N64 has been "OMG THE END OF NINTENDO!!!11!1".