Will this require a step-down?

Started by theamity9, July 09, 2012, 12:44:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

theamity9

Hi all. I got a power supply from ebay for a super famicom and wondering if it will require a step-down transformer when being used in Australia.

It's specs:
INPUT: 100-240V~50/60Hz
OUTPUT: +9V DC 1110mA

Cheers :)

untinip

It doesn't need a step-down transformer. You may require an adapter for it to physically fit in your outlet, though. Nice find!

theamity9

Haha, it doesn't, it fits straight into our wall sockets. Thank you for the help. Also, would you know if this will work on the original fami as well?

untinip

Yes, it will! It's a power supply specifically made for the Super Famicom, right? Not a generic power supply for some other electronic device, like an answering machine? The reason for me asking is that the Famicom and the Super Famicom expects the center pin of the plug to be negative, whilst most power supplies are wired the opposite.

theamity9

Not sure if it's specifically made for the Super Fami, but it's listed as a Super Famicom (generic) power supply.

Here's the page for it:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/140649708055?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Not 100% sure it answers your question, but it does have "CENTRE NEGATIVE"

untinip

Good! Then you should be fine. An incorrectly wired power-supply would probably fry your console, but this one appears to be wired correctly. Also beware of PAL SNES power-supplies which will physically fit in your Super Famicom and Famicom, but those power-supplies are AC-adapters which will damage at least your Famicom. I've heard that a Super Famicoms can actually run on AC power from a PAL SNES PSU, but I wouldn't recommend it.

theamity9

Thank you kindly for your help and time. I bought two of them, so I can have the Fami and Super Fami in at once. Once again, thank you.

untinip