Comparing Virtual Boy with all other Nintendo Handhelds

Started by NintendoKing, July 09, 2012, 05:46:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NintendoKing

Quote from: crade on July 26, 2012, 02:39:34 pm
You forgot to list the number of supported colours

I have formed the answer for Virtual Boy's complete color possibilities.

The system can also dim and brighten the LEDs to many other shades but that's the true color spectrum, before the LED tricks. So its possible to maybe color 28 colors??

L___E___T

I don't know where you got this, but before tricks the colour spectrum is literally 4 colours.  You can combine using the left and right eye channels, but it's not as much of a range as it might look.  What you have above are dithers using those 4 colours...
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

NintendoKing

Yes and dithers do cause eye color trickery, with the overlaying you can form a much larger range of color also.
But yea, if your sprites are 24x32 or larger you can form some amazingly colored sprites with dithers and overlaying.

L___E___T

I've still to make a mockup using this technique, but I think it'd be great to find a way to use it efficiently.  I'm still surprised they only made 4 shades available without having to resort to tricks liek this.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

P

I was kind of hoping that Nintendo would re-release VB games for the Virtual Console to 3DS with the 3D features intact but it might not have enough buttons for all games.

Protoman is certainly not joking about the overpriced Virtual Boy. I think I know what store he is referring to. They are infamous for selling their stuff for like 400% the price they buy them for. I don't understand how they stay alive.

NintendoKing

I do not want these games re-released as that would kill the already low interest in VB like what happened to Game & Watch collecting when the Game & Watch Gallery carts came out.