March 28, 2024, 03:53:04 pm

SNES flashcarts

Started by L___E___T, September 10, 2012, 11:04:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

P

Quote from: HVC-Man on February 26, 2015, 12:31:42 pm
Quote from: P on February 26, 2015, 12:09:59 pm
If it's just cart copier then I don't see the point with it. I would rather build or buy a kazoo.

The point is dumping ROM and SRAM is very useful. Perhaps the Super UFO's greatest feature is it can read the title of a loaded cart's SNES header. This is very useful for determining cart failure. If you plug a non-working game in a SNES, you get a black screen. With the Super UFO, you can see by what degree it's not working. If the header says the game's title, then it's probably just a dirty slot preventing the game from working. If the title is mangled then the connection is dirter, or rarely the PCB is damaged. If it says ///////////////////////// then the ROM chip itself is probably dead.

The Super FX chip can't possibly be accessed through the cart pins so there's no way you could play Super FX ROMs on it by plugging a FX cart in it. The female cart port is probably just for dumping carts and for DSP games (try plug a DSP-1 game then see if you can load a Super Mario Kart ROM).

It doesn't work for DSP games either, I already tried. Super UFO is a copier, end of story. Again, it's useful in ways the Super Everdrive and SD2SNES can't do. Thus the Super UFO is not inferior, it's just different.
So a half-assed flashcart which only strong point is that it also works as a copier? That certainly sounds inferior to both Super Everdrive and SD2SNES to me. A dumper is useful but as I said if I wanted a dumper I would get a kazoo which is cheaper and get an SD2SNES for it's compatibility. If you don't care about such things as compatibility maybe the UFO would be worth it though.

What do you mean wasteful? Waste of FPGA logic? I don't really think it's a selling point in it's own but I think it's a nice feature. I noticed that more and more MSU-1 hacks are being released so it looks promising.

It's wasteful in its specs. Apparently it supports up to 4GB of mass storage to pull FMV and music from. When would that ever be useful?
It's needed to be able to play CD-quality sound and movies (how are you going to fit that into 6 MB memory that Star Ocean and Tales of Phantasia uses?). That's the whole point with the chip, you are either interested in it or not but I don't see how it's wasteful in any way.

QuoteWhen people think awesome co-processor games, they go straight to SuperFX and SA1. Mario Kart is the only DSP game anybody likes today, Cx4 is good for only two games and the rest of the co-processors supported by the SD2SNES are very obscure or have next to no games.
I don't agree with it but enough of that.

QuoteI still don't understand why SuperFX and SA1 haven't been supported yet. Are they too difficult to implement? If not, why not do them first?
Yes they are difficult to implement. If he started with it, it would maybe still not be done. SD2SNES is an open source project that anyone can contribute to. Ikari isn't making a profit of it as far as I know and only works on it in his free time, so it's fully understandable that it isn't done yet.

HVC-Man

Quote from: P on February 26, 2015, 03:08:12 pmIt's needed to be able to play CD-quality sound and movies (how are you going to fit that into 6 MB memory that Star Ocean and Tales of Phantasia uses?). That's the whole point with the chip, you are either interested in it or not but I don't see how it's wasteful in any way.

Byuu could have just simulated a CD drive and allow up to 700MB of space. That is a much more realistic and appropriate sort of storage medium. Again, I realize there's no point here, but it's just my opinion. If you're going to make a replacement for the SNES CD, at least make the replacement function sort of like what was intended.

P

Well if modern technology allows it, I don't see why you shouldn't allow 4GB? Then it's up to the homebrewer how much of it he wants to use. It's not like it's more expensive to do or anything. Ikari would need that beefy FPGA he is using for retail co-processors like Super FX anyway.

muckyfingers

If you want a cheap way to play Mega Man X2 and X3 on a flash cart, there is always this one from RAM Factory

http://ramfactory.com/products.php?INVITENES&language=en_US&osCsid=09kd5q4ql56hikh8162747c1p7

A buddy of mine picked it up, it suffers from the 8 character limit and is a little funky to use. You have flash the rom you want to play, after which they stay on the flash, even after power off/on, until you flash another game. You can split the memory as well and have a couple of games ready to instant load, pretty useful I think.

MarioMania

If you have the money just buy a SD2SNES Cart

muckyfingers

HVC-Man

It's tempting to collect all the SNES flash carts.

So far there's the Super Everdrive, Super PowerPak, Super UFO Pro 8, Invitesnes and SD2SNES.

nerdynebraskan

Hell, I'd be ok with one that'll play 99% of the SNES library and can be bought for $100 or less. It doesn't seem like any of the options are up to that standard yet, though. (I'm really digging my Everdrive N8, and I'd like to get something similar for my other consoles.)
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551

muckyfingers

Quote from: HVC-Man on March 01, 2015, 07:03:42 pm
It's tempting to collect all the SNES flash carts.

So far there's the Super Everdrive, Super PowerPak, Super UFO Pro 8, Invitesnes and SD2SNES.

Don't forget about the Mash-Mods flash cart (no longer available), Tototek Super Flash Cart 64m, the NEO SNES/SFC Myth Flash cart (I'm pretty sure was the first cart to be able to use SD cards).

HVC-Man

Uhh yeah, haha... Kinda forgot about those ones. See what I mean though? There's a bunch of SNES flash carts available.

Jedi Master Baiter

March 07, 2015, 09:19:46 pm #40 Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 07:14:57 pm by Jedi QuestMaster
I wish I knew Krikzz was overseas. >:( Then I would've ordered it earlier. If it doesn't get here by my next paycheck, I might as well cancel my order and get an SD2SNES. ???

Right now my package is in Nashua, New Hampshire. Good stuff. :)

Post Merge: March 09, 2015, 07:14:57 pm

Yay! It came in today, it came in today! Now I can finally play Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon S - Jougai Rantou!? Shuyaku Soudatsusen Super Mario Kart.

P

Great! :) Be sure to tell us your impressions of the cart.

Jedi Master Baiter

Quote from: P on March 10, 2015, 07:52:30 am
Be sure to tell us your impressions of the cart.

Okay. :)

I was glad to see it came in a shell. (I don't remember if I paid more for this or not. ??? At first I thought this plastic shell looks like cheap plastic. But then I thought, whatever, at least it has a shell. Anyway, alls I had to do was dwonload the Super EverDrive BIOS from Krikzz's site and Banpresto! Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon S Fighting!
(By the way, that game is kinda hard. Seriously, the CPU deals damage like it's on liquidation.)

No having to patch ROMs (not sure if this is a thing for SNES flashcarts?) and the list of spec chip games looks miniscule, so I guess I can play about 90% of all SFC games?

Oh yeah, you need to go get the DSP-1 bin to play DSP-1 games. I assume Krizz can't have it on the site for copyright reason? Or is this totally legal to distribute?

The PAL / SFC shell still looks weird in an NTSC SNES, though. :(

P

Quote from: Jedi QuestMaster on March 11, 2015, 08:06:43 am

(By the way, that game is kinda hard. Seriously, the CPU deals damage like it's on liquidation.)
Yeah I played that game and it's crazy.

No having to patch ROMs (not sure if this is a thing for SNES flashcarts?) and the list of spec chip games looks miniscule, so I guess I can play about 90% of all SFC games?
Not sure why you would need to patch games? It already has all the hardware necessary for any normal game. The Famicom Everdrive doesn't need patching either. Yeah maybe as much as 90% but there are lot's of great games that uses co-processors. To bad many of them are either Super FX or SA1. :(

Oh yeah, you need to go get the DSP-1 bin to play DSP-1 games. I assume Krizz can't have it on the site for copyright reason? Or is this totally legal to distribute?
Yeah copyright problems. CX4 however is so trivial so Ikari includes it in the SD2SNES OS.

The PAL / SFC shell still looks weird in an NTSC SNES, though. :(
But at least not as bad as a NTSC SNES shell looks in a PAL SNES or SFC I guess.

Jedi Master Baiter

Quote from: P on March 11, 2015, 10:56:40 am
Not sure why you would need to patch games? It already has all the hardware necessary for any normal game. The Famicom Everdrive doesn't need patching either.

Must be a GBA thing then? ??? At least for the EZ Flash.