April 19, 2024, 02:00:03 pm

SNES flashcarts

Started by L___E___T, September 10, 2012, 11:04:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MarioMania

I can still play Mega Man X2 & X3 with a Game Genie

I'm asumming it could run on the Super EverDrive

muckyfingers

The Super Everdrive does support Game Genie codes, but it does not support Mega Man/Rockman X2/X3, since they use the special CX4 chip.

Pikkon

Quote from: P on January 15, 2015, 06:27:10 am
I don't think it has support for Satellaview stuff either (there are many good download games for Satellaview memory carts).

Satellaview games do work on the super everdrive,theirs a set you can download that's patched to run on real hardware.

P

Well if a game is hacked to work, of course it works.

The thing is SD2SNES can run any Satellaview game like on the real BS-X cart + memory cart if I understand it correctly. Of course some Satellaview games won't work because they only worked during the time they where broadcasted or during some kind of special event but there are also many downloadable games just like there are downloadable games for 3DS and Wii U, and they should work.

L___E___T

I still think it's all about that SD2SNES with the MSU-1 support.  You can get cheaper UFO cart options for half the price of the Super Everdrive, which doesn't have quite as good support but works decently well:
http://www.amazon.com/Saves-Backup-Cartridge-Adapter-Nintendo-Super/dp/B007O3MWVG

These will work on any Super Famicom / Super Nintendo system, the cart has notches to fit all systems.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Jedi Master Baiter

February 24, 2015, 11:48:03 pm #20 Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 11:55:51 pm by Jedi QuestMaster
So now I have the funds and I want to buy the Super EverDrive and find out everything's out of stock here: http://shop.retrogate.com/Super-EverDrive-v2-SED2.htm

Really fucking great. :upsetroll:

Any other sites besides Stone Age Gamer that carry these?

Edit: Okay, found it on Krikzz's site: http://store.krikzz.com/t/nintendo Woohoo! ;D

L___E___T

Are you sure I can't persuade you to upgrade to the SD2SNES?  SNES CD style playthroughs are only possible on that one, and I believe it does everything the Super Everdrive does too...
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Jedi Master Baiter

I barely had enough to buy the EverDrive; let alone $200 just to play Mega Man X2/3 (the only games I'm interested that were on the SD2SNES compatibility list). I'm not as into the SNES as NES, so it doesn't matter as much to me.

The main reason I did buy it is to play translated SFC titles... and Super Mario Kart.

Also, I already bought an EverDrive. Kinda late now.

What's SNES CD style playthroughs by the way?

P

Let is talking about the MSU-1 support (a home-made co-processor that only the SD2SNES has).

For example this arcade port is possible only because of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YuWwoeAxCk

HVC-Man

Pretty sad to see Super UFO hate in here. It's an awesome flash cart because it can do something even the SD2SNES can't, dump ROM and SRAM data from SNES carts. Its only real limitation is the ROM dumping depends on a proper SNES header in the game. Also it can't seem to dump SRAM from SA1 games. Other than that, the Super UFO Pro 8 is a really useful flash cart, its dumping capability has been indispensable to me.

The SD2SNES would be the other king of flash carts if it could just add SuperFX and SA1 support. Right now its only truly useful feature is Cx4 support, because MegaMan fans are insane with their money.

Honestly, I don't understand the point of MSU-1. Have you ever read the specs of it? It's extremely wasteful and over the top. It's like a SNES fanboy had little man syndrome when he looked at the Sega CD. That's cool if you like it, but it's not a selling feature to me.

L___E___T

I have a SuperUFO myself, but it's temperamental and the short character count makes ROM browsing confusing.  I might start labeling games 1, 2, 3, 4 and so on and refer to a sheet.

I've never gotten the cart support to work - playing a Super FX game by plugging one in the top for example.  The save dumping is handy, but then if I have a cart with a save on I'm happy to just play that as well.

I really like the MSU-1 as a feature though, these consoles are old and squeezing out extra playability (even if unnecessary and over the top) is always worth a look, in my book.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

JessicaWolf

Quote from: L___E___T on February 26, 2015, 10:37:14 am

I have a SuperUFO myself, but it's temperamental and the short character count makes ROM browsing confusing.  I might start labeling games 1, 2, 3, 4 and so on and refer to a sheet.

That's actually what I do with my Game Doctor SF7, because the file names are like SF24659.078 where you only get to chose the last three numbers of the file name.
Here are a few games I am looking for right now
Super Puzzle Fighter II X (Sega Saturn)
GeGeGe no Kotarou (Sega Saturn)
Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu (Sega Saturn)
KiKi KaiKai (PC Engine) (CIB)
Puzzle Bobble (Super Famicom) (CIB)

HVC-Man

Quote from: L___E___T on February 26, 2015, 10:37:14 am

I've never gotten the cart support to work - playing a Super FX game by plugging one in the top for example.  The save dumping is handy, but then if I have a cart with a save on I'm happy to just play that as well.

I really like the MSU-1 as a feature though, these consoles are old and squeezing out extra playability (even if unnecessary and over the top) is always worth a look, in my book.

The easy fix to the short filename issue is use truncated names. Use SMW, ALTTP and SuperSW for Super Mario World, Link to the Past and Super Star Wars and so on. The limit is 8 characters, you can uniquely name a lot of games with some effort. If you have too many games to do this with, then you have too many games loaded on your Super UFO. Slow down and play your games thoroughly.

The cart support thing is flat out lying, it doesn't work. The Super UFO is really just a copier in a flash cart casing. That's why it's so awesome and is a worthy cart to own.

P

If it's just cart copier then I don't see the point with it. I would rather build or buy a kazoo.

The Super FX chip can't possibly be accessed through the cart pins so there's no way you could play Super FX ROMs on it by plugging a FX cart in it. The female cart port is probably just for dumping carts and for DSP games (try plug a DSP-1 game then see if you can load a Super Mario Kart ROM).

Quote from: HVC-Man on February 26, 2015, 10:10:05 am
Honestly, I don't understand the point of MSU-1. Have you ever read the specs of it? It's extremely wasteful and over the top. It's like a SNES fanboy had little man syndrome when he looked at the Sega CD. That's cool if you like it, but it's not a selling feature to me.
What do you mean wasteful? Waste of FPGA logic? I don't really think it's a selling point in it's own but I think it's a nice feature. I noticed that more and more MSU-1 hacks are being released so it looks promising.

QuoteThe SD2SNES would be the other king of flash carts if it could just add SuperFX and SA1 support. Right now its only truly useful feature is Cx4 support, because MegaMan fans are insane with their money.
You forgot Satellaview support! :)
But I agree that SuperFX and SA1 is really needed. Games that uses those co-processors are among the top ones.

HVC-Man

Quote from: P on February 26, 2015, 12:09:59 pm
If it's just cart copier then I don't see the point with it. I would rather build or buy a kazoo.

The point is dumping ROM and SRAM is very useful. Perhaps the Super UFO's greatest feature is it can read the title of a loaded cart's SNES header. This is very useful for determining cart failure. If you plug a non-working game in a SNES, you get a black screen. With the Super UFO, you can see by what degree it's not working. If the header says the game's title, then it's probably just a dirty slot preventing the game from working. If the title is mangled then the connection is dirter, or rarely the PCB is damaged. If it says ///////////////////////// then the ROM chip itself is probably dead.

The Super FX chip can't possibly be accessed through the cart pins so there's no way you could play Super FX ROMs on it by plugging a FX cart in it. The female cart port is probably just for dumping carts and for DSP games (try plug a DSP-1 game then see if you can load a Super Mario Kart ROM).

It doesn't work for DSP games either, I already tried. Super UFO is a copier, end of story. Again, it's useful in ways the Super Everdrive and SD2SNES can't do. Thus the Super UFO is not inferior, it's just different.

What do you mean wasteful? Waste of FPGA logic? I don't really think it's a selling point in it's own but I think it's a nice feature. I noticed that more and more MSU-1 hacks are being released so it looks promising.

It's wasteful in its specs. Apparently it supports up to 4GB of mass storage to pull FMV and music from. When would that ever be useful? It's also nothing like the co-processors of the time, hell it doesn't even fit well with the SNES itself. I realize that MSU-1 is mostly an emulator toy for flights of fantasy and there's no reason to limit a fan co-processor, but it reeks of fanboyism and sour grapes. So just because the Genesis got a CD drive and the SNES didn't, someone decides to make an imaginary co-processor that has capabilities years (maybe decades) beyond the tech that was available during the SNES's retail life. I'm not a fan of it at all. I've never felt the SNES was inferior just because it didn't have the CD drive. Go play Star Ocean, that's all the MSU-1 you really need. It's an amazing game with just enough flair and fanciness to make the SNES look super powerful.

Quote from: P on February 26, 2015, 12:09:59 pmYou forgot Satellaview support! :)
But I agree that SuperFX and SA1 is really needed. Games that uses those co-processors are among the top ones.

I'm not aware of any worthwhile Satellaview games at the moment.

When people think awesome co-processor games, they go straight to SuperFX and SA1. Mario Kart is the only DSP game anybody likes today, Cx4 is good for only two games and the rest of the co-processors supported by the SD2SNES are very obscure or have next to no games. I still don't understand why SuperFX and SA1 haven't been supported yet. Are they too difficult to implement? If not, why not do them first?