Any Doctor Who fans around here?

Started by Epic_Lotus, October 29, 2012, 10:19:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Epic_Lotus

I know it's the other side of the globe from Japan and all, but I loves me some Who.  I am a certifiable Whovian, and definitely a fan of New and Classic Doctors. 

I discovered the show in 2006(?), when a buddy of mine piqued my interest in it.  I watched a couple of episodes with Christopher Eccleston, but it didn't really catch me at the time.  For some bizarre reason, I asked my folks that year to get me the first series on DVD, and I have know idea why (trying to one-up my friend, maybe...).  I got the set, and it basically sat on a shelf for six months.  I think Tennant's 2nd series was already airing by the time I got around to checking out Chris' run.  I was out with the flu, and since I was up all night with the shivers anyways, I decided to pop in that show I'd gotten but never bothered to watch.  While I was sick, I think I powered through quite a few of the episodes before passing out for the night, but I know I finished the rest of the series in very short order.  That was when I caught the bug.

Over the next year, I went a bit nutso for the show and started buying up everything I could.  Tennant's 2nd series, classic Who on DVD and VHS, Target paperbacks, etc.  In fact, I bought faster than I could (should?) watch the show.  I've kept current with New Who ever since, and my collection of Classic Who video tapes has grown rather massive.  I now have the entire show on VHS, sans about 15 tapes.  I also have all of the missing stories on soundtrack to fill in the gaps when I (eventually) get around to those parts of the show.

One thing I should say is that I've found my interest in the old series to come and go.  It's not that I dislike it, but I find the pacing of pre-1990's television to be difficult; I have similar issues with Star Trek: The Original Series.  I've watched the first 2 series of the show with William Hartnell, the Key to Time series with Tom Baker, almost all of Colin Baker's run (I have to still finish the last 1/3 of Trial of the Time Lord series), and the TV movie (which I actually saw on TV back when it aired, but didn't really know what it was at the time).  I keep meaning to watch it all in order, but I get to about The Romans in Hartnell's years before I hit "old-TV burnout".  I've watched through to there twice now (made to to The Rescue this time, lol).  Any fellow Who fans have suggestions for keeping on with the show while maintaining high interest?  I actually just downloaded Pertwee's first serial from iTunes to watch at the gym on my iPod, and I'm half way through that now, but I've still completely skipped half of Hartnell and all of Troughton.

Anyways, long story short... anyone else a fan?   ;D

Jedi Master Baiter

I would if I could find a way to watch it.

Hey, wait a minute. Is it on Netflix now?! :o

But I kinda want to start from the beginning. :-\

Epic_Lotus

Yep, they have season 1-6 of New Who on Netflix streaming!  They also have the spin-off show, Torchwood, seasons 1-3.  You can pretty much start at the "beginning" like most people of the younger generation have done.  If you have Amazon Instant, it's available there, too.  Sarah Jane Adventures Seasons 1-4 are available to watch there.  So the only seasons that aren't available for "free" streaming as part of a service are Sarah Jane season 5, Torchwood Season 4 (Miracle Day), and the just-finished-airing season 7 part 1.

My suggested viewing order:
- Who Season 1
- Who Season 2

- Torchwood Season 1
- Sarah Jane Adventures Season 1

- Who Season 3

- Torchwood Season 2
- Sarah Jane Adventures Season 2

- Who Season 4 (don't watch "The Next Doctor" yet, which is apparently listed with Season 4, but it's technically part of the "Specials")

- Torchwood Season 3

- Who "The Next Doctor"
- Who "Planet of the Dead"
- Who "Waters of Mars"
- Who "End of Time"

- Sarah Jane Adventures Season 3

- Who Season 5

- Sarah Jane Adventures Season 4

- Who Season 6

- Torchwood Season 4 (not on Netflix yet, sadly)

- Sarah Jane Adventures Season 5 (last one, sad face :(  )

- Who Season 7 (available to buy on iTunes/Amazon, but not free or on Netflix yet)

You can skip Torchwood and Sarah Jane Adventures if you really want to, but they do have crossovers with Who, so it gives a more entertaining experience.  Plus, the productions all have very different feels to them.  Who is very family-oriented, a bit of something for everyone, whereas Torchwood is NOT for kids, and Sarah Jane is FOR kids. 

There's a number of the Classic Who serials available on streaming, too, but they just seem to be scattered from various seasons.