March 29, 2024, 03:00:18 am

New love for the R-Zone!

Started by NintendoKing, December 29, 2012, 10:03:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

NintendoKing

December 29, 2012, 10:03:32 am Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 02:13:27 am by The Uninvited Gremlin
Tiger has caused a realization for me that I used to love Tiger Handhelds which has caused an interest in R-Zone!
I have bought 3 original R-Zone headmount units (1995 model and 2 1996 model - Slight differences in design) and the 2 XPG handheld's (one of them is NOS).

I also own the following games:

Batman Forever
Battle Arena Toshinden
Daytona USA
Indy 500
Mortal Kombat 3
Panzer Dragoon
Primal Rage
Star Wars: Millennium Falcon Challenge
Star Wars: Jedi Adventure (2 copies: 1 NOS and 1 used)
Area 51 (NOS)

I also intend to buy the following games:

Mortal Kombat Trilogy
NiGHTS Into Dreams
Road Rash 3
Virtua Cop
Virtua Fighter 2

And maybe the "R-Zone Super Screen" console if I can find a reasonably priced one.

UglyJoe

I think I have one of these (the headset) in my parents' attic somewhere :D

NintendoKing

Pull it out and give it a go! Seems like its better then people report.

UglyJoe

They're three hours away and I'm sure their attic is very, very cold right now :D

NintendoKing

It's getting hard to find games for my R-Zone collection.

L___E___T

I loved the AVGN review of this - please tell me it's not that bad :P
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

UglyJoe

They play like any other handheld LCD games, it's just that the screen is red and it has a goofy accessory for dangling the LCD in front of your eye like a cheesy sci-fi movie.  (I guess it's technically a projection of the LCD, since I think the LCD for each game is actually embedded in the carts).

It's made by Tiger, though, who are like the Capcom of LCD games -- acquired lots of licensing deals and usually made good games.  You just have to set your expectations accordingly, since the hardware is way limited.

modeltfordman

I remember as a kid almost purchasing one of these a  few times. I couldn't decide on what to get between the R-Zone or Ducktales for my gameboy. I went with Ducktales. I believe it came with DAYTONA USA, but I wanted a new gameboy game instead.

FamicomRetroGamer

From what I've seen on AVGN's review of Tiger R-Zone, the damn "game" looked like one of those plastic boxes with buttons sold at Chinese stores or McDonald's that gives you the false impression that you're playing something.

I never really liked these type of "games".

NintendoKing

Quote from: UglyJoe on June 14, 2014, 07:40:16 am
They play like any other handheld LCD games, it's just that the screen is red and it has a goofy accessory for dangling the LCD in front of your eye like a cheesy sci-fi movie.  (I guess it's technically a projection of the LCD, since I think the LCD for each game is actually embedded in the carts).

It's made by Tiger, though, who are like the Capcom of LCD games -- acquired lots of licensing deals and usually made good games.  You just have to set your expectations accordingly, since the hardware is way limited.

That's a good description! I find that the fighting games are the best, as they fit the formula well. :)

Primal Rage
Battle Arena Toshinden
Virtua Fighter
Virtua Fighter 2
Mortal Kombat 3
Mortal Kombat Trilogy

But all games are atleast playable, so it deserves some praise for taking advantage of it's low tech.

L___E___T

How the heck did they get those licenses lol :bub:
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

MarioMania

I don't know why people lke to defend crappy stuff

NintendoKing

Everyone has their own personal opinion based on things, I just so happen to like all things videogame related. I take a liking to even failures because they are just one attempt at where we were eventually going towards.

FamicomRetroGamer

Quote from: MarioMania on June 23, 2014, 08:17:31 pm
I don't know why people lke to defend crappy stuff

It's the damn nostalgia and mentality: "Old is better"

I just found one of these crappy LCD games on eBay:

Looks as shitty as always.

NintendoKing

June 25, 2014, 09:14:48 am #14 Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 10:22:32 am by UglyJoe
My favorite LCD game has and will always be Aladdin by Tiger.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnnI8--DyEs