Family Basic Manual - Translating what is left

Started by P, January 21, 2013, 01:32:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

P

May 25, 2013, 07:31:47 am #15 Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 04:51:38 pm by P
Update time

• I reuploaded some dead links in the first post. The SebastienVanDamme site (the one who translated the BASIC part of the manual) seems to be down so I uploaded his translated pages in the first post. The CALL description page (page 69) is now also included with the other pages I scanned instead of a separate link.

• The table of contents (page 0 and 1) is now also translated. I made sure they match VanDamme's translation. Now this means... :drumroll:

TRANSLATION V1.0 COMPLETE!!

Now there are probably errors and the translation is certainly not perfect but at least it's ready for release. Now we just need to insert the translation.

I also have started on another Family BASIC related translation project...

Edit (13-06-19):
Updated bad links in first post.
I also have more info about NS-HuBASIC versions. This is what I heard:

V0.0
Used in Playbox Basic prototype.

V1.0
Used in Playbox Basic and Family Basic launch version.

V2.0A
Used in a newer revision of Family Basic. Supposedly people who called Nintendo and complained could trade their V1.0 version for this one for free. SCR$ function was added.

V2.1A
Used in the last revision of Family Basic. Bug(s) in V2.0A fixed (I would like to know what bugs).

V3.0
Version used in Family Basic V3 with lots of new functions and even sample games. Famibe V3 is considered a separate game with its own manual that assumes that you already have the original Famibe manual and keyboard (since the keyboard wasn't sold separately).

UglyJoe

Hey, I know you didn't translate page 88, but I have a few small corrections:

- The description for the "E" parameter says "X axis inversion", but it should be "Y axis inversion".
- The last sentence of the first paragraph of the "Explanation" starts, "When specifying 4", but it should be "When specifying 1".

dandee

Hey there.

I am pretty new to the whole Famicom topic, but just got my Family Basic, along with all the manuals. Google pointed me here, and I am really glad that someone started translating it. ;) However all the links above are dead. Could someone please put those files online again?

Thanks a million.

cheers.

P

Welcome to Famicom World Dandee and thanks for notifying me about the dead links. I try to keep updating them now and then but they often go bad. However only my own scans seems to have gone bad so I updated that one. All the others works for me except for playpower.org, but you can download those file in the link below it. Don't hesitate to tell me again if any links needs to be re-uploaded though.
My scans are now in 7-zip format so they are a few MB smaller now.

Quote from: UglyJoe on July 04, 2013, 04:37:20 pm
Hey, I know you didn't translate page 88, but I have a few small corrections:

- The description for the "E" parameter says "X axis inversion", but it should be "Y axis inversion".
- The last sentence of the first paragraph of the "Explanation" starts, "When specifying 4", but it should be "When specifying 1".

Thanks for reporting these. I have found a few errors myself that should be fixed before all pages are merged into one document.

List of errors:
- Page 17: "★Let's prepare our programing" is missing.

- Page 35: [STOP]-key is missing.

- Page 88: The description for the "E" parameter says "X axis inversion", but it should be "Y axis inversion". (Thanks UglyJoe!)

- Page 88: The last sentence of the first paragraph of the "Explanation" starts, "When specifying 4", but it should be "When specifying 1". (Thanks UglyJoe!)

P

January 31, 2014, 12:27:07 pm #19 Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 12:40:01 pm by P
Uploading page 69 with the CALL command translated.
Download link: http://s30.postimg.org/e0vrt8j0h/Family_BASIC69_expanded.png

preview image

Sebastien said he used the font Free Sans that comes with gimp so I was able to make this.

Oreanor

March 13, 2015, 02:05:26 am #20 Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 02:18:26 am by Oreanor
if anybody interested - I cleaned and optimized translated scans of Basic manual from the first post and compiled it to pdf (with updated p.69).
http://rghost.ru/7FZGpx2nD

here is an example:

(and here is cleaned jpegs http://rghost.ru/8jH8y8zJL )

P

UglyJoe

Quote from: Oreanor on March 13, 2015, 02:05:26 am
if anybody interested - I cleaned and optimized translated scans of Basic manual from the first post and compiled it to pdf (with updated p.69).

Very cool!  Do you mind if I host the PDF on Famicom World's server (in case the rghost links die)?

Oreanor

Quote from: UglyJoe on March 13, 2015, 06:24:50 am
Quote from: Oreanor on March 13, 2015, 02:05:26 am

Very cool!  Do you mind if I host the PDF on Famicom World's server (in case the rghost links die)?

do not mind at all. as you wish.

UglyJoe

P

I added the link to the first post. I also updated the dead manual scan link.

krom

Hi P,

I only just found out the joys of BASIC on the NES using a cheap Chinese keyboard NES I had laying about...
I found that these forums are the best resource on the internet for the official manuals, thanks for all your hard work :)

I really want to make LaTeX indexed PDF versions of both the V2 & V3 Manuals, in Japanese & English versions...
Using Inkscape I can make optimized color vectors of any images used in the manuals, for the best quality.

I have the original scans for V3 Manual from your V3 forum post,
but the sendspace link for V2 Manual on the 1st page of this post is not working (187.05 MB) :(
I would really love the original scans of this V2 manual to work with, so if you could re-upload I would be very grateful.
Also with your permission I will upload these original scans to archive.org, so they are never lost again ;)

BTW, did any manual exist for V1? If so are there any scans for this anywhere?

Thanks for all your help on this subject P =D

P

Oh those files go down all the time and I keep re-uploading them.

Quotewith your permission I will upload these original scans to archive.org, so they are never lost again Wink

I would be grateful if you did that! :)

I don't if much has changed in the manuals between V1 and V2, I have seen two different versions of V2 only with quite a number of smaller changes. My V2 manual mentions the Biorythm Board that only exists in the Playbox Basic version. Maybe it's something remaining from the Playbox Basic manual, or it was added to the manual before it was decided that the Biorythm Board should be turned into the fortune teller.

krom

Wow thanks for the quick response P, & for the extra info about V1 manual.

I downloaded the 187.05MB pack you re-uploaded for me, thanks so much for that :)
I noticed that there is only pages 1..16 & extra pink insert + character map in that file...
Do you know where I could get a Japanese set of scans for V2 manual for pages 17 onwards?
Would really help with my LaTeX conversion, as I would love to preserve all Japanese original text.

Thanks for your help on this P =D

P

Unfortunately I only scanned what was missing from the old translation. I could scan the rest but it would take some time, and also I can't use my scanner at the moment for various reasons. I will try to fix it when I have time and maybe I could resume the scanning work. Note that the manual I scanned, although it's for V2, have some smaller changes from the old scanlated manual (which is also V2).