March 29, 2024, 06:01:16 am

Last game you played?

Started by Doc, July 29, 2006, 11:54:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Zycrow

Quote from: Jedi QuestMaster on August 31, 2015, 10:54:27 pm
I started StarTropics (over?) a year ago and decided to go back and play it for real.

Really fun game. I like how it doesn't hold your hand. Kinda wish it did with the third boss, though. :-\

I just played through that and the sequel earlier this year. Loved them both.
The third boss is the magma guy, right? The one where you have to hit the switches while he's firing stuff at you? That was the first one that gave me trouble.

Other tough areas for me included the pirate ship dungeon where there were random spikes that poke out of the ground and the entire final dungeon.

I've been playing Landstalker on Genesis. Really enjoying visiting the lesser known Genesis library - lot of good stuff, not a lot of people talking about it.
Favorites: Castlevania, Metroid, Namco 18

Jedi Master Baiter

Yes, Magma the Fierce.

Also, it would've been nice to know that I needed the instruction manual to get through chapter 4!  :-\

Is there some kind of list of games that require items outside the actual game board itself to play the game? If not, let's start one.

UglyJoe

Quote from: Zycrow on September 04, 2015, 09:32:47 am
I've been playing Landstalker on Genesis. Really enjoying visiting the lesser known Genesis library - lot of good stuff, not a lot of people talking about it.

Oh man, that's a great game (although frustrating at times).

nerdynebraskan

I had my first taste of a couple of interesting SNES repros today: Star Ocean and Legend of Zelda: Ancient Stone Tablets. Both carts were built by forum member MaarioS, and I'd recommend his work to anyone here.
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551

Nightstar699

No-death ran Ninja Crusaders Ryuga. Probably the 2nd hardest no-death I've completed, after Street Fighter 2010. But holy hell is the final stage a nightmare here. Love it.

So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

FamicomFreak

Retro Gaming Life  www.retrogaminglife.com

Zycrow

Quote from: UglyJoe on September 05, 2015, 07:43:36 am
Quote from: Zycrow on September 04, 2015, 09:32:47 am

Oh man, that's a great game (although frustrating at times).

A lot of the more frustrating bits would have the edge taken off of them if the designers had placed shadows beneath the platforms. There are some areas where you just have to jump and hope it's in the right direction. I actually wonder if this was a design choice or a design limitation.

At any rate, I'm about three-fourths through the game and none of the harder parts have damaged my enjoyment.

On the Startropics thing, yeah, that was a pretty big design flaw. I don't think there are that many examples like that in the NES library, but IIRC there are quite a few computer games from the 80s-90s that required the player to look up certain phrases or whatever in the manuals in order to continue. This was an early form of DRM, though, rather than a true puzzle.

I just got an Everdrive-MD and I love it. My wife and I played through most of Punisher last night.

jocuriin

hippy dave

Binding of Isaac: Rebirth,
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (this is fun!)
Super Mario 3D World (played the first world so far, is pretty and has some fun new stuff compared to 3D Land)

Zycrow

Have been working on both Shining in the Darkness (Genesis) and Phantasy Star (Master System).

Both of them involve extensive mapping, which is great fun for me.

DDCecil

Received DreamMix TV: World Fighters for PS2 in the mail today and beat the game so far with the Licca Doll! Can't wait to unlock all the characters!

chowder

Double Dragon 2 on the Famicom.  I still can't complete it  ;D

Zycrow

Quote from: chowder on October 06, 2015, 03:29:23 am
Double Dragon 2 on the Famicom.  I still can't complete it  ;D

Keep at it - it's easier than the NES version. Master the flying knee move.

L___E___T

I did complete it some time back thanks to that glorious Tiger Knee / Rising Jaguar hybrid!

My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

chowder

Haha, that animation should come with a seizure warning!

I'll get there one day.  I switched it up with some Gameboy Double Dragon - I haven't finished that one either yet, but it seems to be an easy game, I just need more practice.  The temptation to exploit the slightly dodgy edge collision detection to make enemies fall off ledges backfired occasionally when I took a plunge instead ;D