NES Powerpak vs (any famicom flash cart)

Started by sconley666, March 17, 2013, 02:31:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

L___E___T

Quote from: famifan on March 27, 2013, 10:34:26 pm
Quote from: L___E___T on March 24, 2013, 09:54:14 am
I noticed that Akumajou Densetsu doesn't have truly correct sound on Everdrive compared to the real cart.  

it depends on how did you compare them. Recording samples is the only right way to do that.

Yeah I recorded them with my ears.  I was playing it on Everdrive and while the game runs flawlessly, there's one part near the end of the level 1 music loop that I noticed was off.  
Bearing in mind I listen to the soundtrack for the game a lot, I noticed it was off, so threw in the ROM cartridge to repeat and see if maybe I'd just been listening to a high quality OST rip or something.  Cartridge doesn't have the error - Everdrive does.

It's really odd because it's only that one tone - the extra sound at the intro and name entry etc. sounds bang on.  Try it out if you have both - you don't need a recorder to notice it it really stands out. VRC6 is not yet right with the N8.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

famifan

Quote from: L___E___T on March 28, 2013, 02:38:17 pm
Quote from: famifan on March 27, 2013, 10:34:26 pm
Quote from: L___E___T on March 24, 2013, 09:54:14 am
I noticed that Akumajou Densetsu doesn't have truly correct sound on Everdrive compared to the real cart.  

it depends on how did you compare them. Recording samples is the only right way to do that.

Yeah I recorded them with my ears.  I was playing it on Everdrive and while the game runs flawlessly, there's one part near the end of the level 1 music loop that I noticed was off.  
Bearing in mind I listen to the soundtrack for the game a lot, I noticed it was off, so threw in the ROM cartridge to repeat and see if maybe I'd just been listening to a high quality OST rip or something.  Cartridge doesn't have the error - Everdrive does.

It's really odd because it's only that one tone - the extra sound at the intro and name entry etc. sounds bang on.  Try it out if you have both - you don't need a recorder to notice it it really stands out. VRC6 is not yet right with the N8.

once you upload the samples everybody can enjoy the differences. you know human feelings can lie.

ah, you was talking about missing sound. Did you file the detailed bug report? or just complaining in this thread?

XiTaU

im pretty sure he knows that vrc6 emulation isnt perfect i have an original and everdrive if i get some time ill make some samples or differences in audio.

L___E___T

March 29, 2013, 07:24:51 am #18 Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 10:33:24 am by L___E___T
Exactly - he (Krikzz) knows already and I'm not a QA tester just by way of buying one.  
I don't have any decent tech to record it properly - but anyone can follow the steps I outlined to get a 100% reproduce rate ;)

Me saying I noticed it, is on topic and not exactly a complain post.  Just try it out.  You can compare against this recorded OST even and notice it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdlOdjd1DMo

Famifan you know I adore you but you are one funny character.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

famifan

Quote from: L___E___T on March 29, 2013, 07:24:51 am
Exactly - he (Krikzz) knows already and I'm not a QA tester just by way of buying one.

you're already become the authoritative beta-tester since the date of purchasing. That is normal practice of helping project's devs by filing tickets in the issue tracker. Also it is normal situation when the users are suffering and complaining on the internets but not filling  the actual report. It's good that he knows about that. Otherwise the reaction could be pretty simple as picslink to issue report or it didn't happen! >:(

Bad thing that a lot of users dunno about their ability of improving the software by sending reports. They're just complaining everywhere they can
Spoiler
Can't send the proper report? SHUT TEH FUCK UP AND SUFFER!
[close]

Possibly krikzz should have some issue tracking system as somebody told me about the product support he offered.
:crazy:

correct me if i was wrong :-[

L___E___T

You misunderstand.  He's already aware and I was told it's already logged, so you're barking at the wrong mailman little pitbull x

I was never told about beta testing issues like this, so it's not a given and I'm not losing sleep over it.  Just a note for the benefit of users on here.  I'm very happy with my Everdrive, in case all my recommendations don't make that clear.  Which they do.

Not sure why you insist on going all bipolar over something so trivial.  
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

number47

Sorry for digging up an old toppic.
Does anybody know if chinese copy of previous Krikzz Everdrive n8 support VRC6?
I mean the Jack DIY RAM

L___E___T

Necroposting is fine and encouraged!

I would stay away from the clones of the Everdrive though - all sorts of issues with those.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

M-Tee

I've got an Everdve coming soon. Hoping it works with my Famiclone, it's not a common clone, so no word on it yet.

I saw that Everdrive supports FDS. Does anyone have any experience using theirs to play FDS games?

What's it like? Are there read/load times? How is side-flipping handled?

Super Loderunner is a significat factor in my purchasing decision. Haha

P

FDS support is sub-par. It supports multi-disk games unlike the Powerpak but there's no way to switch sides manually and the expansion sound emulation isn't very good to be honest.

It should be good only for one-sided games that doesn't use expansion sound (All Night Nippon SMB?).

Super Lode Runner doesn't seem to be on this list at least so maybe it's good too:
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=3764.0
The list is probably not complete though.

L___E___T

yeah I'm not convinced by the VRC6 sound, but I'd rather have that than nothing, it can be improved.  I have the original carts and the difference is quite noticeable on Akumajou Densetsu for example.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

number47

Everdrive is intelligent enough to flip sides automagically ;)

P

Yes that cleverness is exactly the problem. On a real Disk System you can choose when to flip the disk.

Quote from: L___E___T on December 17, 2014, 06:19:26 am
yeah I'm not convinced by the VRC6 sound, but I'd rather have that than nothing, it can be improved.  I have the original carts and the difference is quite noticeable on Akumajou Densetsu for example.

Sure it's miles better than nothing, maybe I shouldn't complain so much. Haha!
It's good for testing and stuff but not for playing (expansion sound games).

There is a sound option High and Low which supposedly was made to make up for the difference between AV Famicom and red&white Famicom, but messing with it makes some FDS games sound a bit better (still very different from a real FDS though) while it breaks other FDS games.

GohanX

Can't you hold down Select or something to prevent it from flipping? It's been a while since I tried as I generally just use a real fds due to also issues.

P