March 28, 2024, 01:56:47 pm

Finds (All Others)

Started by JC, August 26, 2006, 12:11:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MaxXimus

I was at a local thrift store and Ifound this really cool Nintendo game display shelf. I will take some pictures later today. I REALLY think I may have found a gem this time.

fcgamer

Quote from: L___E___T on July 18, 2014, 04:58:52 am
Quote from: Bob-Bob on July 14, 2014, 12:35:54 pm
Aw man, I envy you guys so much. I love Famicom but I definitely want to collect Genesis/Mega Drive and Saturn games as well.  :'(

The good thing, Megadrive feels much cheaper to collect for than Famicom.

DDCecil - amazing deals - proves bargains can still be picked up!

I have been having trouble getting into Mega Drive, as it just has little nostalgic value for me.  I really want to try to overcome this though, as many people just keep recommending me MD games, and they are so cheap in comparison to the Famicom / NES.

DDCecil - Nothing like a little bit of character added to the cart.  :)  I would rather find a game locally, dirty or not, than just order on the net. 
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

Bob-Bob

US Sega Genesis games are cheap, but I find Japanese Mega Drive games to be a fair bit more expensive. Where should I look?

L___E___T

I would suggest starting with Hit-Japan, he has a 15% sale on MegaDrive stuff this weekend, with some 1 cent starting auctions. 

Last few JP games I got were from a friend for pretty decent prices but he's back in the states at a moment.

If you buy JP games from EU/US they can be expensive but if you source them from Japan I've found they're somewhat under-appreciated over there - there seems less demand for sure and the 'exotic factor' is removed.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Bob-Bob

I already have a US Sega Genesis though. I don't know if I'm willing to splurge on a Japanese Mega Drive and any games that actually got US releases + feature no significant differences. I know Japanese Dynamite Headdy and Japanese Contra Hard Corps are significantly easier than their US releases, and Japanese Ristar features much happier expressions on all the characters, but those are the only two I can think of off the top of my head.

Otherwise, major Japan-exclusive Mega Drive games like Pulseman and Alien Soldier fetch ridiculously high prices. I'm still not sure which approach I want to take. I also don't have the money to go shopping at Hit-Japan's place again, even though he is having a sale. These things never synch up.  :'(

L___E___T

I know what you mean - Some unmissable JP SMD titles fetch big, big prices (I'm looking at you Vampire Killer, Robocop Vs. Terminator) so in the end i just got a Mega Everdrive - for sub £90~ish and can play everything in every region apart from Road Rash which is cheap.  But, I still find myself hankering after a few affordable JP versions of games I grew up with.  I really would recommend Everdrives for retro systems, real hardware is not emulation but I know it's not the same as having the cart sat in there with the CIB box on the side, but it's just such a tidy solution for improvement hacks and translations I can recommend it just for that.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Bob-Bob

I don't even need Vampire Killer. Castlevania Bloodlines is reasonably priced. Pretty much every game I want aside from Puyo Puyo, Super Fantasy Zone, Pulseman and Alien Soldier is available in the US, and of those only Dynamite Headdy, Ristar and Contra: Hard Corps have significant differences in their Japanese releases. it seems safer to just get the Genesis carts.  :-\

UglyJoe

Four 2600 games for $2.  The guy running the yard sale is apparently an NES collector, so we had a nice chat :D

tappybot

No love for this bunch on neogaf.
Here's my recent treasures, brought to you in part, by kiwidave and senseiman!  Thanks guys!   :bub:

Bob-Bob

That Solbrain cart.....where did you get that? :o

L___E___T

Yay!  The Sharp C1 cart!   Nice finds Tappy!
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

JessicaWolf

Finally got my hands on a Game Doctor SF7!

Here are a few games I am looking for right now
Super Puzzle Fighter II X (Sega Saturn)
GeGeGe no Kotarou (Sega Saturn)
Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu (Sega Saturn)
KiKi KaiKai (PC Engine) (CIB)
Puzzle Bobble (Super Famicom) (CIB)

Nightstar699

Quote from: tappybot on July 19, 2014, 09:46:17 pm
No love for this bunch on neogaf.

Oh really? Sad, that means they've probably never indulged in the glory that is Solbrain. Congratulations on obtaining that bad boy, I'd say it's the finest game on the entire system.

Quote from: L___E___T on July 14, 2014, 01:29:45 am

YES!  Shadow Dancer!  Have you finished it yet?  I need to give it another (proper) run.

I have, several times! Love that game a lot, as you said a while back, it really is the only Shinobi game that actually feels like a true sequel to the original... well, besides the original, of course.

Quote from: UglyJoe on July 14, 2014, 02:58:07 am
Really?  I played Strider 2 waaaay more than Strider 1.  They're both great games, though.  Also, my copy has the discs reversed, so Strider 2 is on the disc with the Strider 1 artwork, and vice versa.  Dunno if that was a common problem with the game or not.

Yeah I'm with Ugly on this one, Strider 2 is probably my absolute favorite PS1 game. And it's plenty difficult if you limit the amount of continues you use... trust me, thanks to its 1-life continuing system, making it through the game without dying a million times is quite the challenge.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

tappybot

Quote from: Bob-Bob on July 20, 2014, 07:31:45 am
That Solbrain cart.....where did you get that? :o

Senseiman hooked me up.  :yoshi:

Bob-Bob

But I didn't see it in his FS thread. How did you get it from him?  :o