DDCecil

PS1 Time Gal/Ninja Hayate! I'm jealous!

Here's what i found at a garage sale this morning:

NES Games - $4 each
NintendoLand Wii U - $3
Strategy Guides - .25 each

MarioMania

Quote from: stealthlurker on September 02, 2014, 05:03:49 pm
For a while I've been wanted a little red CRT TV to match with the Famicom. Sometimes they were too messed up or the seller wanted waaay too much. Finally found one that I like for a good price. I just love this thing. Matches so well with the venerable ol' Famicom.... and it's kinda cute too haha  ;D

By the way... public service announcement. Gamecenter CX: The Movie is now out on Blu-ray and DVD  ;)

How did you get the Famicom on Ch. 4 - Did you mod it?

featherplucknfilms

I'd love to find one of those TV's too!  It looks really great with the Famicom.  Is it a Zenith G0930Y??

stealthlurker

September 20, 2014, 07:46:33 am #3858 Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 12:02:49 pm by stealthlurker
Quote from: MarioMania on September 20, 2014, 12:48:12 am
How did you get the Famicom on Ch. 4 - Did you mod it?

A bit complicated.. the TV only has an RF input, but the famicom is modded for AV. So I used an RF demodulator to accept the AV input and output to RF. The demodulator has a switch to select the channel.

Quote from: featherplucknfilms on September 20, 2014, 02:46:31 am
I'd love to find one of those TV's too!  It looks really great with the Famicom.  Is it a Zenith G0930Y??

Thanks! It's a Zenith Space Command portable tv.

Post Merge: September 21, 2014, 12:02:48 pm

Fresh from teh UK, Blood Dragon vinyl soundtrack and physical PC copy

Shumi Nagaremono

While so many Book-Off stores PSX libraries are just the same 100 or so cheap and common games (and I love 'em for it!), there's this one that's tucked away in the 'burbs that seems to carry ONLY the harder-to-find ones.  And for the most part, they're priced pretty fairly. 

Since Halloween is coming up, I snagged Dracula X and Vampire Savior (EX Edition) for the PS1.  Both are complete :)  .  For a grand total of 2,400 yen, I think I did okay.

The PS1 gets kind of a bad rap for its...less than smooth graphics, but there were a LOT of quality games on that console.  The library is criminally underrated.  I'm glad that the PS2/PS3 reverse compatibility has led to the games remaining in circulation for going on 20 years.  Lots of fun for damn good prices. 

...unless you want some Rockman games...then you've gotta pay. ;) 

stealthlurker

Ha! I went to Book Off last week and couldn't find a single game worth picking up.

Yeah the JPN PSX has some really neat unknown gems. I especially love tracking down the unknown 2D games. I spent quite a bit of time exploring the library a few years ago. Some of the games that were 20 bucks or so are worth triple digits now! Glad I got in when I did.

Shumi Nagaremono

Quote from: stealthlurker on September 22, 2014, 05:37:00 pm
Ha! I went to Book Off last week and couldn't find a single game worth picking up.

Yeah the JPN PSX has some really neat unknown gems. I especially love tracking down the unknown 2D games. I spent quite a bit of time exploring the library a few years ago. Some of the games that were 20 bucks or so are worth triple digits now! Glad I got in when I did.

Most Book-Offs are really hit or miss (but always worth checking out).  But this one seems to have ONLY good stuff as far as PS1 goes.  I don't know if they just refuse to bother buying the same stuff everybody else has or if, for some reason, all the nice stuff gets sent to this one specific place.  But it's kinda cool.  Even the Akihabara Book-Off doesn't have as many uncommon titles with such regularity. 

L___E___T

September 30, 2014, 06:06:35 am #3862 Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 06:18:33 am by L___E___T
Quote from: stealthlurker on September 22, 2014, 05:37:00 pmYeah the JPN PSX has some really neat unknown gems. I especially love tracking down the unknown 2D games.

Care to recommend any golden 2D PSX games? :)

Post Merge: September 30, 2014, 06:17:51 am

So this came arrived with me at last - something I've really, really been looking forward to...

The PCE Works PC Engine Memories Best of Japan box set.

Yes they are repros, but I can't help wishing all repros were this good!  I look at some of the tripe offered on NA that seem to get snapped up and wonder what happened.

If this is your thing, you can pick them up and find out more at PCEworks.wordpress.com  Check out some of the other photos over there.  I couldn't bear to open mine...

http://pceworks.wordpress.com/2014/09/18/pce-memories-best-of-japan/#more-45

Post Merge: September 30, 2014, 06:18:32 am

I know that someone else on these forums also picked one up - please post more pics as I know you opened yours already ;)
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

stealthlurker

Woohoo! We're PCE memorial box brothers haha  ;D

repros on the left vs real on the right

Nightstar699

Quote from: L___E___T on September 30, 2014, 06:06:35 am

Care to recommend any golden 2D PSX games? :)

I just got into Japanese PS1 recently, but I'd vouch for Gear Senshi Dendoh as being an amazing beat 'em up, I'm guess Stealthlurker is already very much familiar with it.

Post Merge: September 30, 2014, 10:53:29 am

By the way, beautiful copy of Kaze Kiri: Ninja Action, Stealthlurker. That game is seriously making me considering upgrading to a PCCD/PC Duo.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

stealthlurker

September 30, 2014, 11:01:23 am #3865 Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 11:06:28 am by stealthlurker
For 2D Japanese PSX, I'd have to dig around my stuff to recall the unknown/lesser known stuff... but off the top of my head... trying to mention only PSX exclusives (ie not on Saturn also)

1. Adventures of Little Ralph (platformer)
2. Panzer Bandit (like Guardian Heroes)
3. Harmful Park (shmup)
4. Gaia Seed (shmup)
5. Gegege Kitaro (exact title forget, but fantastic 2D action platformer)
6. Gunners Heaven (like Gunstar Heroes)
7. Plue no Daibouken (platformer)
8. Geppy-X (shmup)
9. Gundam Battle Master series (also a simple series, diff games 2D vs fighting)
10. Samurai Deeper Kyo (2D vs fighting like Last Blade on NeoGeo)
11. The Rapid Angel (action platforming-ish)
12. Gatchaman shooting (simple series shmup)
13. Gatchaman vs fighting (simple series vs fighting)
14. sakigake otokojuku dodgeball (simple series 2D dodgeball game based on the manga/anime)
15. Gear Fighter Dendoh (action platforming-ish)
16. Lomax (platformer)

There are many more, just can't visualize them right now

Post Merge: September 30, 2014, 11:06:28 am

Haha yes Nightstar699, I've got Dendoh  ;) Also all the titles mentioned above and more. The search/exploration for 2D games on PSX is a lot of fun. I think the masses only know the tip of the iceberg on this one. I remember getting the GeGeGe Kitarou game on PSX for a mere 20-25 bucks years and years ago. It's finally on the radar of people now and can easily go for 100-150 bucks now! Even back then it was uncommon. I think it's even rarer now. The game oozes style and atmosphere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAGM80EVHVM

L___E___T

Quote from: stealthlurker
Woohoo! We're PCE memorial box brothers haha  ;D

Yes but I couldn't bring myself to open mine - nor do I have the originals...

By the way, me having this does not mean 'oh my gaahd mods endorse direct repros with no disclaimers' before anyone jumps to it - I was merely sent this package by the kind gent that has created these.

They are also marked up differently so nobody can pass them off as originals, not that they would try.

Thanks both on the PS1 recommends - going to see if I can dig out some of those and maybe even get them running on the PSP.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

stealthlurker

Yup, the discs also have the PCE Works logo prominently displayed on them.

Nightstar699

Haha, the Gegege No Kitaro game was what inspired me to get a Jap PS1 in the first place! But then seeings its prices, ehh... I think it'll have to wait a little while. Thank you for all those recommendations though, I'll have to look most of those up sometime. Panzer Bandit is certainly on my radar as it is.

I guess I'll show my most recent additions, but ugh it's been so long since I posted mine here that I can't remember all of what I've got. This is just the latest stuff.

(Notice my copy of Dendoh in there  ;D )

Edit: SSIII and Tatsunoko Fight were both sealed, by the way. It was neat opening them for the first time.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

L___E___T

Love Rival Schools - need to get me the DC Project Justice at some point (I was given a free DC recently)
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。