why doesn't FW have "official" IRC channel?

Started by famifan, May 14, 2013, 12:24:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

famifan

hello, famifan from russian here :-[
Just curious to know if we have any kind of "official" IRC channel on freenode or smth else?

Also, let me know if anyone wants to join  :-[

Maybe the mods would love to register the channel and keep it in working order (^O^) (The only thing you need is to be registered on freenode and create the channel)

manuel

I think we talked about this some time ago.
While it surely would be fun, it would probably take a lot of interesting discussion away from the boards.

FW is not highly active as it is, and starting IRC channels or the like might be bad for the forums in the end.

P

An IRC channel sounds like fun. It was a long time ago I last used IRC regularly.

But if the forum gets hurt by it, it's a problem.

famifan

well, an IRC channel is not the forum replacement. Just think of it as the rather comprehensive addition to the forum if somebody finds it comprehensive :)

80sFREAK

I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

UglyJoe

The chat room topic has been brought up before (although that was primarily about a chat room embedded into the forum).

That was like three years ago, though.  I'm still opposed to having some kind of chat embedded into the forum, since it's taxing on the server (although long-polling/comet would ease that a bit, which I didn't know about at the time) and many chat plugins end up being huge security holes due to poor coding.

Personally, I don't mind setting up an IRC chat, since it's free and we can log all of the chats pretty easily.  There is some concern that helpful things could be said in the chat and then not be easily found later...but then plenty of people don't bother using the button at all, so maybe that's not really too big of a deal.  Regardless, if the chats are logged, then they can be made searchable.

My two big unknown issues are:
1) How can we link forum names to IRC nicks? I'm mostly worried about people impersonating FW forum members on the chat.
2) Would people actually use an IRC channel?

famifan

Quote from: UglyJoe on May 14, 2013, 06:21:50 am
1) How can we link forum names to IRC nicks? I'm mostly worried about people impersonating FW forum members on the chat.

i doubt if a lot of people will use IRC. For small amount the channel operator (possibly the mod from here) can do the following trick:
the channel is read only unless the operator approve your nick.
if somebody wants writing permission he simply will ask the operator to add him by telling his nickname on FW. Then the operator will send PM to FW member for authentication and identification.

Algo Fonix

I'd definitely hang out in an IRC channel for FW.

Magicantian

June 08, 2013, 07:03:24 pm #8 Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 09:33:06 pm by Magicantian
Quote from: UglyJoe on May 14, 2013, 06:21:50 am
The chat room topic has been brought up before (although that was primarily about a chat room embedded into the forum).

That was like three years ago, though.  I'm still opposed to having some kind of chat embedded into the forum, since it's taxing on the server (although long-polling/comet would ease that a bit, which I didn't know about at the time) and many chat plugins end up being huge security holes due to poor coding.

Personally, I don't mind setting up an IRC chat, since it's free and we can log all of the chats pretty easily.  There is some concern that helpful things could be said in the chat and then not be easily found later...but then plenty of people don't bother using the button at all, so maybe that's not really too big of a deal.  Regardless, if the chats are logged, then they can be made searchable.

1) Well, what can be done is lets say we're on the freenode server, if I wanted my username "Magicantian" on IRC, I can register that nickname in the Famicom World Channel (Chatroom) can give +V (Voice) to users who are logged in with the password to said username.

As someone mentioned previously, if one were to add voice anyone who does not have it cannot speak unless permitted to do so. So anyone who just tries to name themself as me, and join the channel cannot speak unless they enter the password.

2) I personally prefer Forums over IRC. with forums, you have neat organized threads, where each topic is confined to and can be joined in on to be discussed at anytime regardless of our time zone or schedules. With IRC the moment comes and goes. it's very rare I see people bring up topics to talk about that were once spoken about days ago.

With IRC, there are more security holes than a Forum depending on the client you use to communicate.

I think real time communication where its much faster than a forum is nice, but overall i feel there are a lot of draw backs that haven't been mentioned.

Edit: also wanted to add that since this forum is has a somewhat small userbase, I don't think IRC would work well. It might cause a split in the userbase that may be counter productive to where some only participate on one aspect than the other. It would make more sense if there were more users. There would be less gaps in between communication.

RGB_Gamer

I agree. Some interesting, and useful info would be lost via IRC. In a forum like this, everyone can see the info Plus, guys like me constantly on the road with an android phone don't have a comparable IRC app that can match mIRC.

Russam5354

FamicomWorld could expand a bit more. Ads on other sites, or at least making official accounts on various websites. I actually sort of prefer this small, but friendly community. There are pros and cons to expanding a site. I don't care too much.
あなたはイースターエッグを発見!
I mainly collect Gamecube (GCN) items. I collect other items too, but I'm focusing on my GCN collection currently.