Buzzing from Famicom

Started by Hachi, July 25, 2013, 06:35:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hachi

July 25, 2013, 06:35:40 pm Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 08:04:50 pm by Hachi
Hello,
I've recently bought a Famicom and got it hooked up to a PAL CRT using just the NES RF cable. My AC adapter is 9V, 800mA.
I tuned the frequency on the TV manually to get to where the Famicom was broadcasting and I got perfectly clear video, but instead of the game audio I get a distorted buzzing sound. Sometimes when the music changes ingame, the buzzing changes a bit too.
I checked to see if the second microphone was the issue, but turning it down or blowing into it changed nothing.

What should I do to try and get audio running?

Update: Seems the changing of the buzz tone is from the screen changing, not the game audio.

80sFREAK

Yo, m8 :) Your TV might not support NTSC-J or either sound subcarrier in famicom RF unit drifted off.
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

Hachi

I did some more fiddling with the TV controls and it turns out there's a setting called COL SYS that I can set to Auto, PAL, NTSC3.58 or NSTC4.43. NTSC3.58 and Auto both give me fine colour at the frequency I have the TV set to, and PAL and NTSC4.43 give me no colour. When I manually tune the frequency a little to the side of where it is, I can get colour on the PAL and NTSC4.43 settings but then the TV locks back in to the frequency it was at before, because it seems to think that one is "correct". I think that one of those will be able to get me sound if I can make the TV actually stop at the slightly different frequencies but I can't seem to make that happen.

Even when I disconnect the Famicom and tune it there separately, it goes back when I plug the system back in.

80sFREAK

You should have manual tuning in the TV, but, again, it might be issue with famicom's RF unit itself, so find a "channel" with the best picture and we will start from there.
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

Hachi

Quote from: 80sFREAK on July 26, 2013, 12:03:11 am
You should have manual tuning in the TV, but, again, it might be issue with famicom's RF unit itself, so find a "channel" with the best picture and we will start from there.

I do have manual tuning, I needed it to get to the picture because there's a big gap between channels 3 and 4 on NZ TVs, which is where the Famicom frequency is. What should I look for?

P

One solution to this problem I usually suggest is to use a FM radio for sound, since you already got an OK picture through your TV.

So if you can't get it to work in any other way, you can try connecting the RF cable to a two-way splitter and connect one end to the TV for picture and the other one to an FM radio antennae for sound. This article http://famicomworld.com/workshop/articles/famicom-fm/ explains more about the FM radio.

Hachi

Quote from: P on July 26, 2013, 04:31:26 am
One solution to this problem I usually suggest is to use a FM radio for sound, since you already got an OK picture through your TV.

So if you can't get it to work in any other way, you can try connecting the RF cable to a two-way splitter and connect one end to the TV for picture and the other one to an FM radio antennae for sound. This article http://famicomworld.com/workshop/articles/famicom-fm/ explains more about the FM radio.

Tried this, it fixed the issue. Thanks a lot!

spoung45

I have a buzzing/hum from my Twin Fami I know it is from the Mic any one know any good repairs or solutions to fix it? It does not put up my voice to well, it dose pick up me blowing in to it, other then that I get the 60 htz hum.
Hey laser lips your mama was a snow blower!

ebinsugewa

Just clean the contact with alcohol, really fine grit sandpaper, or even a pencil eraser. Should be fine.

spoung45

cools thanks everyone! It has worked and now The MIc works nice.
Hey laser lips your mama was a snow blower!