Which Famicom do you think has the best Audio?

Started by Phosphora, August 06, 2013, 05:16:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Which model produces sound that you like best?

01:HVC-CPU(01)
0 (0%)
02:HVC-CPU-05
0 (0%)
03:HVC-CPU-06
0 (0%)
04:HVC-CPU-07古
1 (16.7%)
05:HVC-CPU-07新
2 (33.3%)
06:HVC-CPU-08
0 (0%)
07:HVC-CPU-GPM-01
0 (0%)
08:HVC-CPU-GPM-02
0 (0%)
09:HVCN-CPU-01
0 (0%)
10:HVCN-CPU-02
0 (0%)
11:AN500前_外
0 (0%)
12:AN500前_内
0 (0%)
13:AN500後_外
0 (0%)
14:AN500後_内
0 (0%)
15:AN505_外
0 (0%)
16:AN505_内
2 (33.3%)
17:AN510
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Phosphora

I found a pretty cool video that lets you hear the audio difference between 17 different Famicom consoles. I'm curious which one you like best? I'd suggest listening to the clip multiple times, but I've also allowed for your vote to be changed in the poll options. Personally, I like some of the later models with a mix of nice bold bass and moderately clean trebles. How about you?

http://en.nicovideo.geo.jp/?sm16346242

80sFREAK

Add eqalizer and increase your list to the 100 positions.
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

Phosphora

Quote from: 80sFREAK on August 06, 2013, 05:27:43 pm
Add eqalizer and increase your list to the 100 positions.

I apologize, I don't understand your post?  :-[

I just wanted to get everyone's opinions on the Famicoms listed in the video. While i'm sure it's not 100% accurate due to the compressed nature of internet videos, it still gives a fair basis for comparison.

80sFREAK

August 06, 2013, 05:43:43 pm #3 Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 05:49:41 pm by 80sFREAK
This days equalizer shrinked into 5 presets usually "news", "classic", "disco", "rock", "normal". So you can multiply your list 5 times. Look, ANY Famicom based on 2A03, which generating SAME sound. The rest of audio circuit working as equalizer. Want to compare? Compare signal on pin1 and pin2 with digital signal analyser. Otherwise we will go to discuss oxygen-free wires wrapped into thai silk and placed curtain way to avoid interferences from moon phases ;D

(added) Ah, forgot to add - few revisions of 2A03 exist, i know about A(not marked), E and G, so they might output signal slightly different.

P.S. if someone using FM radio for Famicom's sound, they can try to play with presets of built-in equalizer.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

Phosphora

Quote from: 80sFREAK on August 06, 2013, 05:43:43 pm
This days equalizer shrinked into 5 presets usually "news", "classic", "disco", "rock", "normal". So you can multiply your list 5 times. Look, ANY Famicom based on 2A03, which generating SAME sound. The rest of audio circuit working as equalizer. Want to compare? Compare signal on pin1 and pin2 with digital signal analyser.

Ok, so each different Famicom is working as an equalizer of sorts. Still each stock Famicom appears to sound different without an external equalizer, and some people like myself find it interesting.

80sFREAK

By using equalizer you can correct imperfections of signal or(as it was initially) acoustic equipments/room.

Phosphora

Quote from: 80sFREAK on August 06, 2013, 05:54:23 pm
By using equalizer you can correct imperfections of signal or(as it was initially) acoustic equipments/room.

Once again, I understand your external equalizer argument, but I'm just talking about the raw untouched audio signal from each Famicom. They each had their own pre-sets from the factory due to their circuitry, and that was the point of this thread.

80sFREAK

August 06, 2013, 06:51:32 pm #7 Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 07:03:43 pm by 80sFREAK
Right, and my point - if you don't like sound of your famicom, you can change it, to make it sounds like any other famicom from your list.

Jedi Master Baiter

You can watch Nicovideo without an account now?! :o
First of all, how do I know which one of these I have? I have a model 101, serial HN10871344. ???

Furthermore, I would also like to hijack this thread to ask which is the best way to make hardware recordings:

-studio-quality microphone to the TV speakers (using RF)?
-Plugging in the NES/FC's AV to a computer's microphone jack?
-disabling the NES's PPU to reduce hum & trying the second option?
-is the humming noise even prevalent when plugging in AV to a TV?

I just don't know anymore! :'(

I need you 80sFREAK!

80sFREAK

Quote from: Jedi QuestMaster on August 06, 2013, 09:26:27 pmFurthermore, I would also like to hijack this thread to ask which is the best way to make hardware recordings:
Go ahead
-studio-quality microphone to the TV speakers (using RF)?
NO
-Plugging in the NES/FC's AV to a computer's microphone jack?
Possible, but better to use "Line in"
-disabling the NES's PPU to reduce hum & trying the second option?
You'd say build entire new thing, just to play tunes, with proper grounding, shielding, power filtering and normalizing level of each channel with adjustable mixer? It's possible even on perfboard  ;)
-is the humming noise even prevalent when plugging in AV to a TV?
Something wrong somewhere  ???

I just don't know anymore! :'(

I need you 80sFREAK!

L___E___T

Don't know the differences to vote.

My answer = my Famicom, through headphones.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

naI

I like the deep quality of the AN-505 (Twin Turbo), and it doesn't drown out the FDS expansion channels like in the AN-510 (Titler).  By the way, do you realize that the repeat listings of the Twin models are just for external/direct sampling from the same model?

Phosphora

Quote from: naI on August 07, 2013, 03:35:15 pm
I like the deep quality of the AN-505 (Twin Turbo), and it doesn't drown out the FDS expansion channels like in the AN-510 (Titler).  By the way, do you realize that the repeat listings of the Twin models are just for external/direct sampling from the same model?

I agree wholeheartedly with your choice.

Also, I can't read Kanji so I just gave the options shown in the video.  :-[

Jedi Master Baiter

Bringin' back the '80s this thread:

To 80sFREAK:
Is this a good recording? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsERbZj-IKk

By the way, how does everyone feel about how NES compares with FC audio?

Koitsu here explains that it's much like the AV Famicom with a noticeable low pass filter.

80sFREAK

Quote from: Jedi QuestMaster on August 19, 2013, 10:35:43 pm
Bringin' back the '80s this thread:

To 80sFREAK:
Is this a good recording? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsERbZj-IKk

By the way, how does everyone feel about how NES compares with FC audio?

Koitsu here explains that it's much like the AV Famicom with a noticeable low pass filter.
Quite big humming sound in the pauses. May add just little bit treble, but not sure, how voice sample will sounds.