May 09, 2024, 11:48:29 am

Finds (NES)

Started by JC, August 26, 2006, 12:13:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nurd

133MHz

Indeed! I'm really curious! Is it NTSC? In what channels does it broadcast? What CPU does it use? What about the lockout chip? etc

nintendodork

Cool!  I knew about the Korean version, but I've never heard of an HK version.  The "Hong Kong version" font looks suspicious to me, though.  Also, this may just be because of the camera, but the greyish bar above the controller ports looks like it's not as indented as any of the NESes in other regions.
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

keiffer01

No it seems to be PAL. I tried SMB3 NTSC in it, and it seems to work for a split second, but the lock out chip seems to keep the console reseting and the screen itself keeps flickering. I didn't try any channels out I just plugged it directly to the TV with AV. I'm going to open it up tommorrow if i have the time and post some pics of the board on this forum. But really I keep searching and searching but can't seem to find any info of this model. I went on NesWorld and found a place where it talks about the NES console, but they only talk about an Asian Nes version.

Yes nintendodork I know it seems suspicious, but this really seems to be the real deal; the stickers on the bottom of the console all mention HK somewhere. It seems to be the real deal, but to be 100% sure I'd have to crack it open and see whats inside. But really I'm 99.9% confident it's an official Nintendo console. I'm not sure If I'm gonna keep it though since yes it is a nice collectors piece and really it's the only one I know of but yeah it's kind of useless for me if it's PAL. :-\

nintendodork

You could open it up, take out the lockout chip, and while you're at it, check the rest of the stuff in there if you want. :D
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

keiffer01

Okay so I opened it up! :P Yep it's an official Nintendo console, and it is PAL. There is a sticker inside saying PAL-ASI, so my guess is that this is exactly the same motherboard you can find also in the Asian version. But still, if this is what it really means, why even bother naming it Hong Kong Version if it's the exact same thing as the Asian version? Oh and 133MHz, the CPU seems to be RP2A07....can't remember if it the same as the US CPU though (i think it's something like 2A03 lol). :P I'm not gonna take or modifiy the lock out chip though because if i do I'm afraid it could take away some of its value if I decide to sell it off. I prefer just leaving it as it is. ;) Ohh and more pics!

133MHz

2A03 and 2C02 are the NTSC CPU and PPU respectively.
2A07 and 2C07 are the PAL CPU and PPU respectively.

So yeah, that's a PAL NES. I wonder what PAL region is it (A or B).

keiffer01

How would someone know what PAL region it is? And what's the difference?

nintendodork

If you look at keiffer01's 3rd pic in his first post...last I knew, channels were indicated by numbers, not letters.  I don't know what that means, but maybe it's a PAL region switch?  But then..how would you know what channel to tune the RF into?

133MHz

Maybe Hong Kong assigns their TV channels by letters instead of numbers?

Rob64

If that's the case, would manuels hong kong famicom have a similar switch?
Now you're playing with Power

Jollie

kid icarus
donkey kong 3
Great Fox will cover you.

Peps1ru1es92

Quattro Adventure.  :)
Hey people, TRG still exists. Come join the meh-ness.

http://trgforums.servegame.com

Nightstar699

Just picked up power blade for 2.99 at playntrade.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

MS-DOS4

Well, I don't own it, but I just found this video today and it's pretty nifty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLR9yxIV8DQ

Never heard so much recorded audio on a nes before.
>>>Current Collection<<< Updated 8/20/2014

-Click here for Photobucket Collection-