Japanese gaming on American CRT

Started by pxlbluejay, August 18, 2019, 09:07:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

pxlbluejay

I have an old Magnavox CRT which I have my VCS and Colecovision hooked up, and I can't seem to get any of my Japanese consoles working on it.The darn tv doesn't have ch.95, 96, or 97, and it just skips from 94 to 98. Is there any way of forcing this tv to have ch.95?
Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda. The NES and the Famicom themselves. These are well known after more than 30 years after their releases. I highly doubt that Fortnite, PUBG, or any other modern-day game will be as well known in 2050.

Pikkon

UglyJoe

^ What Pikkon said.  You might be able to manually enter the channel with the remote and have it work.

Some TVs had a way of manually enabling/disabling channels, so you could filter out channels that you didn't receive.  If you dig around the TV's menu, you might find an option to enable the other channels.

It's also possible the TV just doesn't support those channels, since I've seen a lot of TVs that get weird with higher channel numbers.  I had to buy a VCR from a thrift store to get a tuner that pulled in channel 96.

schnuth

Here's a great video on how to tune your Famicom's RF to work with an American TV:

https://youtu.be/RVyFEMg0Kpg

Good luck!

pxlbluejay

August 18, 2019, 05:29:20 pm #4 Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 05:51:48 pm by pxlbluejay
Well, I don't have a remote for it, and I've searched all around the menu with the tiny volume buttons...
There's a menu that lets me manually add channels to my tv, but even the menu skips from 94 to 98. Maybe I should just refer to the video...

Post Merge: August 18, 2019, 05:51:48 pm

Where's the green knob thing on a gpm-02 board?
Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda. The NES and the Famicom themselves. These are well known after more than 30 years after their releases. I highly doubt that Fortnite, PUBG, or any other modern-day game will be as well known in 2050.

UglyJoe

Quote from: schnuth on August 18, 2019, 05:19:05 pm
Here's a great video on how to tune your Famicom's RF to work with an American TV:

https://youtu.be/RVyFEMg0Kpg

Nice video!  Didn't know there was an adjustment for that.

schnuth

Quote from: UglyJoe on August 18, 2019, 06:53:47 pm

Nice video!  Didn't know there was an adjustment for that.

Neither did I. It's pretty awesome you can still learn new things about this hobby after all these years. :)